Voluntary Blurry Vision?

19 hours ago, Dylan T. said:

I don't understand what you said

In general

Let's start with the function of the lens in our eye. You can only focus (see sharp) on one distance at a time. If you focus on an object close to you, you see everything at a distance blurry (you will also see objects blurry which are even closer ). When focussing at the distance, you relax the lens of your eye, changing its shape. You will see objects at a that distance sharp and closer objects blurry.

• 2 months later...

Yes! I have been doing this since I'm a child and I can do it for a very long time (great way to pretend you are paying attention, by the way). It's come to the point that I actually "like" the feeling. Always asked everyone around me and they'd say I'm crazy or wouldn't get what I was asking. Glad to know it's not that uncommon!

Hope to know more about it.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m not going to speak like “we have superpowers” or stuff but this is not as common as most people here think. 

My guess this ability is confused with something else. 

We are talking about an ability to change the focus at will or better our eyes adapting in different situations. For like when you put on your grandpas glasses on, you still see clear. Or your friends etc. No matter how big the number is, you just see clear with any numbered glasses. 

How many people can see clear with another numbered glasses as they see with none? Tell me how common is that.

aı have a different aproach;

My theory is that actually our eyes are faulty and the blurred state is actually our default state of the eye. So we should use glasses to fix our blurry vision. But the ability to control (adapte) the cillitary muscles just fixes that problem for us and lets us see clear. The bonus is we can blur at will and see clear on every glasses. 

I'm farsighted myself and it is no sweat wearing most other lenses.

Many lenses are low magnification reading glasses or to correct for nearsightedness.

Lenses to correct for astigmatism are still impossible for me to wear for any length of time.

Farsighted = Objects further away but clear

Nearsighted = Objects too close and blurry

5 hours ago, rgnyldz said:

My theory is that actually our eyes are faulty and the blurred state is actually our default state of the eye.

The default state for me seems to be seeing distant objects sharp.

Our lens only changes focus and nothing else.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I am able to Blur my vision at will after reading this forum I've tried to hold the blurr for as long as I could although it did get difficult it seems as though I can blurr my vision for as long as I wish.. I myself realized I was the only person who could do it at a very young age..6/7 but whenever I explained it to my parents they either didn't understand or thought I was making it up so I never spoke about it until I decided to look up on the internet today.  I'm so glad there are other people with this ability but I'd like to know what it could be used for. In addition I have the ability to create a rumble sound in my ear that I can hold for about 10 seconds at a time I'm still searching to see if other people have this ability as well. 

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2013 at 9:56 PM, Voluntary Blurry Vision said:

this involves the conscious control of the ciliary muscles which are in charge of the auto focus of your vision. The talent involves neurosensory and neuromuscular pathways and controls.

I sometimes have blurred vision(more then usual) and then I can somehow look for focus to have a 'clear' vision. I do have a neuromuscular disease...

11 minutes ago, Strange said:

What needs to be explained? You are relaxing the muscles of the lens and "defocussing" the eyes. Why does anyone think this is special or interesting?

It's surprising how many people think this is a special ability.

Well, as I said it on my other post we don't think that we are an avenger or something.

Also if you are saying that this is very common I would like you to ask everyone around you if they can see clear or read a book on any numbered glasses of their friends or event grandpas glasses. Then please tell me how common this is. 

• 2 months later...

I started doing this when i went to a art museum and looked at a painting. That painting was blurry without me doing this, but i went to the other painting it was blurry to so i was concerned. But i knew i could do this, i started to see if it was normal by seeing if others could do this. but i was the only one. i cant hold it for more than 1 hour, or my eyes will be sore and then i have to sleep for a while. But im glade that there others that can do it. it's weird, isn't it?????

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2013 at 7:56 AM, Voluntary Blurry Vision said:

Are you able to blur your vision whenever you like and for as long as you want, to switch from sharp to blur in a second at your own command?

When I was younger I could, but now at 59 I find I can't.  No matter, it was a useless "skill" anyway.  I can't tell you if I could do it for a prolonged length of time, as I never tried it.

Edited by Francis

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys! Glad to found this thread. I've been wondering the same thing. I'm actually able to voluntarily blur my vision. It's not the same as focusing and de-focusing. From my understanding, focus and defocus is when you look at a specific object, the surrounding is blurry (correct me if I'm wrong).  In my case, I can voluntarily blur my vision even towards the thing I'm focusing on. I'm sure it's not a superpower lol but it can be beneficial, at least for me. For instance, when watching horror movies, I could just instantly blur my vision during the scary parts. And the blurriness can be adjusted as well, however I can't do it for too long because it hurts my head. I'm not sure if this is a common thing, I've been asking my friends and family in the past, none of them could do it. I thought it'd be nice to know there are others that can as well.

oh and my sight is perfectly fine. Thought I should put it out there just in case.

Edited by Yuuya
Forgot to add extra info

4 hours ago, Yuuya said:

In my case, I can voluntarily blur my vision even towards the thing I'm focusing on.

Except, you are not focussing on it. That is why it is blurry.

4 hours ago, Yuuya said:

I'm not sure if this is a common thing, I've been asking my friends and family in the past, none of them could do it.

I'm sure everyone can do it with practice. 

On 12/14/2018 at 7:06 PM, Tragonsalves said:

was wondering if anybody else was able to.

Everybody?

1 hour ago, Strange said:

Except, you are not focussing on it. That is why it is blurry.

I'm sure everyone can do it with practice. 

Everybody?

I would assume everyone can do it.  I haven't done it since I was an infant. I used to all sorts of weird things as a child. I think children explore things like that. I can't think why it would be useful to an adult though.

Maybe I will start a new thread about how I have just discovered I can close one eye. It's a bit like blinking but different. Maybe I'll call it "winking". I wonder if anyone else can do it!!!

Or how I can scratch my left ear with my right hand. I wonder if anyone else can do that!!1!

hi I don't know if this is active still but I can. for example when you do those optical illusions to see what picture is behind the lines. If I blur my eyes it's appears. how many people who have this have you discovers a name for it? when I blur my eyes I can blur slightly bits at a time or fully. sometimes I feel bump in my eye when I do this.

I was trying to find out as my partner can't. I figured out I could to this in school when I was young when I kept zoning out. you know when you vision gets blurry and I tried it fpund I could do it. I just thought it was pretty normal. but J haven't found anyone who can do it. or the name for it. 

Edited by Lisa lee 26

I am able to do this I've been searching about it but havent found anything about it I've done it once for about 2 days to see what happens but not much has affected my eye sight I would like to learn more about this 

Not sure if this is related, but I can do the opposite.  Through a muscular action I can't describe exactly, I can improve focus, but 1) can only do it with one eye open, and 2) the image appears to shrink in terms of my perception.  A couple years ago, I exercised this ability frequently.  Last year my contact lens prescription changed so that I needed weaker correction; I'm not sure if it's related or not.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2013 at 10:56 PM, Voluntary Blurry Vision said:

Are you able to blur your vision whenever you like and for as long as you want, to switch from sharp to blur in a second at your own command?

this involves the conscious control of the ciliary muscles which are in charge of the auto focus of your vision. The talent involves neurosensory and neuromuscular pathways and controls.

I would like to know your opinion as I have been asking to several research institutes and it seems the ability is not really known, only few people can do it naturally did you know about this?

i can see blur in my own will for as long as i want and no i don't wear glasses or so.My Eyes are pretty good even tho i spent many hours in front of screen's on computer or on tv but still that doesn't mean that me or anyone else that can do that have some special ability it's just much easier than we thought the only thing you must do is to focus to something by controlling your eyes and there you have it