Voluntary Blurry Vision?

Thank you for your input~

I can seemingly do this indefinitely as well as with both eyes individually, though it is only blurry with the individual eye. I'm attempting to learn why this happens, or rather if it has any negative long term effects. The internet hasn't been as helpful as one might think. I appreciate you responding. Thank you for your time.

There are extraocular muscles strapped across the eyeballs. Activating those muscles (just like we would in our hand when typing or legs when walking) puts tension on the eyeball and causes the lens to flex. This bend the incoming light and alters the way it lands on the retina, consequently changing the way we perceive and interpret it. 

• 1 month later...

I don't see it as "voluntary blurring of the vision". What you are doing is changing the focal length of your lenses, which we all do all the time.

If you hold your hand up at arms length, and focus on that, the rest of the room is blurred, but your hand is clear. If you now look at the walls, your hand is blurred. So no matter what you do, some of your vision is blurred, and some is in focus, at any one time.

It's easy to focus on an object, but no so easy to de-focus from it, while looking at it. Your brain is helped by having an object to focus on. There is no real evolutionary advantage in blurring your vision, unless you do it by focussing on something else. 

So it's perfectly easy to blur your vision on A particular object. Just find another, which is at a different distance, and focus on that. If you can do it without the second object to aid you, you are just focussing on an imaginary object, at a different distance. You can do it, but it's easier with a real object to help you.

I think I have a good idea of what you're talking about, same as some others, blurring my vision does not require much effort, but comes as a natural instinct or feeling to do so. Just like you not being taught how to move your arms, you just do. This ability has been quite useless but I think it is quite interesting regarding there isn't much information on it.

(I have a feeling this has a correlation to the finger trick, where you move it close and focus on it, just without a finger.)

Edited by goodyhi

Im a bit late to the party, but I have an interesting answer.  Yes I can blur my eyes, but I can ALSO do magic eye very well. These are two different things.

Focusing on one spot, like to view magic pictures, makes everything blurry except what you're focusing on. This can be done at any distance but is faster up close because as your eyes constrict, there is less in the field of vision to blur out.

Blurring my vision makes everything blurry including what youre focusing on. I do it best when the item im looking at is within 3ft of my face. I notice it most with words. I used to be able to do this at long distances however due to degeneration of my distance vision, its difficult to tell whether or not im doing it. 

I have incredible control over all (ALL) of my ocular muscles. I can intentionally turn my eyes in different directions at the same time. I can watch two different people doing two different things in two different locations at the same time. I feel the muscles stretching and pulling. It doesn't hurt, but it does feel weird. It is not the same feeling as blurring my vision, but it is the same as when I try to focus on somethig that's inches away from my face. Definitely a muscle strain. 

Either way, focusing to blur and voluntarily bluring are two completely different things.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing. I have a tough time staring at an object and holding one vision. My eyes almost instantly split the vision into two. Then I choose which one I look at. What I found really interesting was..if I look at the left image and I cover my left eye....it seems like nothing changed but if I cover the right eye I'm no longer looking at the image....and vice versa. Look at right image and cover left eye I'm no longer looking at image. And regarding Magic eye pictures....I can pull more layers out sometimes so they are 4 or 5d.

1 hour ago, ClintonP said:

I'm not sure if this is the same thing. I have a tough time staring at an object and holding one vision. My eyes almost instantly split the vision into two. Then I choose which one I look at. What I found really interesting was..if I look at the left image and I cover my left eye....it seems like nothing changed but if I cover the right eye I'm no longer looking at the image....and vice versa. Look at right image and cover left eye I'm no longer looking at image. And regarding Magic eye pictures....I can pull more layers out sometimes so they are 4 or 5d.

Must be looking with the opposite eye and brain is selecting the second eye's input to discard. Optometrist could give more insight.

Lucky with those Magic Eye stereograms. I've never been able to get them to work for me.

• 3 months later...

I’ve been able to do it since I was young about 5 and I thought everyone else could probably do it but I kept to myself til I’m about to be 21 and realizing I can still control the focus of my vision without going cross eyed or getting fatigued; unless I do for a long period of time. This entry is probably late but I think more research should be made if it’s evolutionary or adaptation of muscles within the eyes that can be more easily achieved at a young age. I think the best part about having control of it though is being able to see lights enhanced more, especially at night 

• 2 weeks later...

I have only known about having voluntary vision for a few years and I have begun pushing myself so I can now hold a state  of blurry vision for about 10 minutes but any longer gives me a slight headache. I am still working on pushing myself

I can keep my vision 'blurry' far longer than any of you.
So long, in fact, that it never goes clear.

But I have damage to my optic nerves, artificial lenses, and astigmatism due to eye surgeries.

Edited by MigL

33 minutes ago, Dylan T. said:

Yea

In linguistics, there is a subject called "implicature". This is the study of the underlying meaning of a statement that is not explicit in the words. For example, if someone says "do you have $5" they are not necessarily asking about your financial situation. Depending on the context, they may be asking if you will lend them some money, or if you will pay for coffee.

So, when I asked if there was evidence, I was not just asking about its existence, I was suggesting that you provide that evidence.

Edited by Strange

21 minutes ago, Dylan T. said:

Well i am unsure on how I was to know that

It is a normal part of human communication. 

22 minutes ago, Dylan T. said:

Also my evidence is the fact that I have begun pushing myself and I have begun go hold on for longer and even blur even more than before

That is not evidence (it is an anecdote). 

And it doesn’t say anything about “better strength”

14 hours ago, Dylan T. said:

Alright then take my advise. 

Instead of criticising me.. teach me of what this is

Sorry, I didn't intend to criticise. But on a science sit4e, you need to provide evidence to support claims (like "it will make your eyes strong").

teach me of what this is

What what is? Voluntary blurry vision? Well, obviously, it is changing the focus of your eyes voluntarily. I was a bit surprised that anyone thought this was worth discussing. I assumed it was something everyone could do quite naturally. But maybe not. But it is an utterly pointless thing to do.

Edited by Strange

11 minutes ago, Strange said:

Sorry, I didn't intend to criticise. But on a science sit4e, you need to provide evidence to support claims (like "it will make your eyes strong").

What what is? Voluntary blurry vision? Well, obviously, is is changing the focus of your eyes voluntarily. I was a bit surprised that anyone thought this was worth discussing. I assumed it was something everyone could do quite naturally. But maybe not. But it is an utterly pointless thing to do.

The only time it's useful is in those magic eye pictures.