Voluntary Blurry Vision?

Are you able to blur your vision whenever you like and for as long as you want, to switch from sharp to blur in a second at your own command?

this involves the conscious control of the ciliary muscles which are in charge of the auto focus of your vision. The talent involves neurosensory and neuromuscular pathways and controls.

I would like to know your opinion as I have been asking to several research institutes and it seems the ability is not really known, only few people can do it naturally did you know about this?

Are you able to blur your vision whenever you like and for as long as you want, to switch from sharp to blur in a second at your own command?

Yes, but I do not believe this is a unique ability or even that uncommon.

Also, I'm unsure that I could do it "for as long as I want." A quick test suggests that a minute or two is easy, but I suspect prolonged attempts to do this (entire days/weeks/months/etc.) would result in muscle fatigue.

Do you mean focus your eyes in the middle space so the items in vision appear blurred? Yes but as has been said I wouldn't have thought that an uncommon ability.

I can't however, 'magic-eye' sad.png

ETA: I just spent the last 15 minutes looking at magic eye pictures on the internet and finally I GOT IT!! Pity I didn't get it in the 90s when it was fashionable.

Edited by pears

Also, I'm unsure that I could do it "for as long as I want." A quick test suggests that a minute or two is easy, but I suspect prolonged attempts to do this (entire days/weeks/months/etc.) would result in muscle fatigue.

Edited by Voluntary Blurry Vision

Do you mean focus your eyes in the middle space so the items in vision appear blurred? Yes but as has been said I wouldn't have thought that an uncommon ability.

I can't however, 'magic-eye' sad.png

ETA: I just spent the last 15 minutes looking at magic eye pictures on the internet and finally I GOT IT!! Pity I didn't get it in the 90s when it was fashionable.

TBH, that's more useful than I thought this thread would be.

"Are you able to blur your vision whenever you like and for as long as you want, to switch from sharp to blur in a second at your own command?"

Yes, I take my glasses off.

​I can also voluntarily defocus my eyes,.

Why bother?

That is exactly what I am after, there is not know benefits so most people do not care, but most of the guys that contacted me for example do not wear glasses so perhaps the voluntary movement improves the focus on a short term for specific distances.

Is not very common ability that is why I have not come up with a real figure of how many people can do it naturally, perhaps you can but ask a friend and let me know. On regards to the holding question was only to make clear that you have full control.

TBH, that's more useful than I thought this thread would be.

The magic eye is fantastic. The voluntary blurred vision at will is not looking into space is just changing the focus, like moving another muscle, and what makes it interesting is that many are not really aware or heard of it before.

Edited by Voluntary Blurry Vision

Is not very common ability that is why I have not come up with a real figure of how many people can do it naturally

If you do not have real figures of how may people can do this naturally, then how can you know it's not a very common ability?

Thanks for sharing, but that doesn't really answer the question I asked.

Ok, so in fact I cannot confirm yet that is not a common ability, and that is why I keep asking around. In your case I am glad you can do it but did you try to ask anybody around you if they can you might be surprised to know how few know that this is even possible.

These are great questions thanks for that.smile.png

Are you simply talking about defocusing the eyes, or something else? If defocusing I would have thought anyone could do that, but as noted earlier, there is no incentive to try.

Right, this is about changing the focus of your vision and yes there is not known benefits out of this, however, I do believe that just like any other muscle if is exercised, it would be stronger and react better.

Presumably it's a muscle that's exercised all the time when we look at things at different distances. Although I suppose if you stare at a computer screen or TV all day it might not be.

Edited by pears

Right, this is about changing the focus of your vision and yes there is not known benefits out of this, however, I do believe that just like any other muscle if is exercised, it would be stronger and react better.

In that case I would be astounded if there was anyone on the planet who was unable to do this, excepting individuals with some genetic deficiency, or who had suffered some trauma. At the risk of sounding patronising, which is not my intent, this is rather like saying "did you know that if you tilt your head way back when you are outside and keep your eyes open then you can see the sky".

Now you say you have discussed this with others, many of whom have said they cannot do it. Note that I was unsure what you meant by blurry vision. Would you try asking those same people if they can defocus their eyes and let us know what the result is then?

In that case I would be astounded if there was anyone on the planet who was unable to do this, excepting individuals with some genetic deficiency, or who had suffered some trauma. At the risk of sounding patronising, which is not my intent, this is rather like saying "did you know that if you tilt your head way back when you are outside and keep your eyes open then you can see the sky".

Now you say you have discussed this with others, many of whom have said they cannot do it. Note that I was unsure what you meant by blurry vision. Would you try asking those same people if they can defocus their eyes and let us know what the result is then?

Let me clarify that most people cannot do it naturally! of course once you have learnt how to control it then yes, anybody can do it. I like the way you just put this on simple terms "defocus", I will try and ask this way and I get back to you.

Now, are you saying that anybody around you can defocus their vision any time with full control, can you confirm this?

Let me clarify that most people cannot do it naturally!

Wait a minute. Just one day ago in post #11, you said you didn't know and cannot confirm how common this is. Yet, here you are now repeating that "most people cannot do it naturally." You're not being consistent.

If you have evidence that "most people cannot do it naturally," then share that. However, if you lack such evidence, then you need to stop making the claim.

I just asked a small group if they could do this. All agreed they could and were surprised it was even questioned. It is perhaps worth noting that they consisted of two Brazillians, one Chinese, one Saudi, one Kuwaiti, one Englishman and a Scot, so the ability appears to be cross cultural - not a surprise.

I just asked a small group if they could do this. All agreed they could and were surprised it was even questioned. It is perhaps worth noting that they consisted of two Brazillians, one Chinese, one Saudi, one Kuwaiti, one Englishman and a Scot, so the ability appears to be cross cultural - not a surprise.

Shame on you for actually introducing evidence into this thread.

Thanks for bringing up all these thoughts I am actually happy to see your inputs, this was the purpose when I posted in the forum I wanted to find more opinions, let me share couple of the first responses I got when my interest started.

The question was the same, voluntary blurry vision...

1. I am sorry but I am not familiar with the ability that you speak of. It seems that somehow you are able to block the automatic focusing response of the ciliary muscles.

2. It almost certainly does involve the ciliary muscle. Most people, when they are asleep or are placed in a dark room, or are under general anesthesia, put their ciliary muscle at rest. In physiological terms, this means they are slightly contracted vs. the most relaxed state possible, such that about 1.5 diopters of accommodation is induced. Some people, when they “zone out”, are able to manipulate this balance while awake, although their sensorium is slightly altered. Why some folks do this “better” than others is unknown, but that applies to many physical abilities. What makes a great athlete, as opposed to a good, mediocre, or non-athlete? It is not just hours in the gym drive or desire to win, although they all play a part. There are innate differences, between people, and I imagine it is the same for this peculiar talent, involving neurosensory and neuromuscular pathways and controls.

I hope this explanation is of use. I’d be curious as to the ages of those with this ability.

After having these replies I wanted to know further but the moment you brought a simple defocus it simplifies the whole thing, so I will not waste my time anymore.

Many thanks

• 3 years later...

Excuse me, I have a question for potential professionals is voluntary "double vision" a normal thing? I don't mean with drugs or alcohol. Just muscle contortion. I'm very curious to know if it's excessive use of voluntary blurry vision leading into deep "double vision" or a potential sign for schizophrenia. Please do get back to me on this forum(?, or is it a thread?) 

Edited by GoddessDangelia
Grammatical errors

• 1 month later...

I can change my vision from blurred to clear at will, I can not do it for an unlimited amount of time, but I bet if I spent more time doing it I could do it for long periods of time.  At the moment I can do it for about 1-2 minutes tops before my vision goes back to clear.  This doesn't hurt or take much effort.  I until now had no idea that other people couldn't do it, I discovered I could do this at around the age of 6 accidentally, and I've been able to do it since. 

Also GoddessDangelia I can do that myself my guess is that it's because humans have 2 eyes, lol.  Try doing it with one eye closed.