Does Sulfur Dioxide react with PVC piping?

Elite Engineer

At room temperature but not +60°C, PVC is given as resistent to sulphur dioxide by the manufacturers:

https://www.spilltech.com/wcsstore/SpillTechUSCatalogAssetStore/Attachment/documents/ccg/CBOOM.pdf

plus ipexinc and more, google:

PVC "sulfur dioxide" compatibility

Though, I would NOT use a Pvc pipe for pressure, with any fluid. I trust only metals for pressure, or fibers. Worse, Pvc is brittle, as opposed ot polypropylene. You don't want a deadly leak when a rock or a tree falls on your pipe, do you? Regulations forbid it probably.

In case you want to stress a plastic, please remember that its long-term resistance is very different from its short-term proof stress: easily 5 or 10 times less.

Though, I would NOT use a Pvc pipe for pressure, with any fluid. I trust only metals for pressure, or fibers. Worse, Pvc is brittle, as opposed ot polypropylene. You don't want a deadly leak when a rock or a tree falls on your pipe, do you? Regulations forbid it probably.

In case you want to stress a plastic, please remember that its long-term resistance is very different from its short-term proof stress: easily 5 or 10 times less.

I did some more research, I'm going to use copper tubing..I don't know why I thought of pvc piping, as the tubing will actually go through sulfric acid

• 4 weeks later...