Mind machines and similar technology

master_tremagne

I am wondering what the applications of a mind machine are to psychology and the psychology of dreams. Specifically, I am thinking about generating a particularly introspective and/or immersive dream experience.

Also, are there other ways to simulate the effect that a mind machine generates? Such as a sequence of images, colors, patterns, or shapes generated by a computer program?

Light flashes and sound can be incorporated(to varying degrees).

http://dreamscience.org/idx_science_of_dreaming_section-2.htm

I think the best we can do externally is to try and shape the dream and increase recollection. Lucid dreaming would be needed for actual control. The meditative state the mind machines put you in would probably help towards that end.

Personally I am immensely fascinated by the idea of binaural beats.

Basically, the idea I have is to induce a sort of introspective meditative state, using a medley of herbs known to induce trance- or dream-like waking states (such as lavender,, and further immerse the 'subject', for any experiments in the recent future, this will be me, in this dream state using a mind-machine, or the classic 'ping-pong balls and static' experiment (can't seem to recall the name associated with that). This is meant to be an aid in my study of meditation, yoga, and other such practices meant to expand one's consciousness and sense of self-awareness.

Personally, my experiences with meditation have been incredibly enlightening, and I am seeking a way to make it more comfortable and accessible to others.

Sounds like a decent approach. Combine traditional techniques with technology.

I've been trying some low key experiments of my own. Nowhere near the same scale though. Mainly trying to engage what senses I can(temperature, touch). I've also tried Ginkgo Biloba, does leave me feeling a bit off in the morning though.

Edited by Endy0816

I suffered from chronic pain for about ten years, and my physician sold me an Alpha-stim, which stimulates alpha waves and puts one into a state similar to meditation within a few minutes that reduces pain. After using it for a while I learned to meditate and control my pain without the Alpha-stim. It does not produce "a sequence of images, colors, patterns, or shapes." Its effect is similar to mindfulness meditation.

Edited by EdEarl