academia and media = fools and crooks

ExtraSense

Dialectics claims, that everything turns into its opposite.

Who knew this will happen to the media and academia of all things?!

Academia has turned into fools and parasites, as media has turned into parasites and fools.

And like it was said, if the salt loses its saltiness, what can be used to salt it anymore?

Can anything be done?

ES

Yay for baseless claims that paint entire groups of people with the same broad brush-strokes.

There are few who might do the right thing. This by no means change the fact that as a whole, those institutions have been prostituted into self-serving parasites.

es

When I took journalism, we were taught that the job of the journalist was to report, not to judge. One answered the questions "how", "when" and "where". One did not try to ferret out "why". Neither did one use inflammatory verbs or adjectives when one wrote the story. We were taught that the only place for opinion was the editorial page.

Now, when some "horrendous" (one of those inflammatory words which would have lowered our grade had we used it) crime occurs, ie the Washington/Northern Virginia snipers, (which was tried just south of here in Virginia Beach), the journalists with their "experts" are relentlessly pontificating whether the alleged criminal is guilty or innocent long before he goes to trial. I believe that the OJ Simpson case was the turning point for this kind of reporting.

As far as academics, I haven't had much comment about them recently, but when I took economics in college, I had an extremely liberal professor. Most of the people in the class were just out of high school and had never experienced working for a living. He believed that people should be taxed to the max and that the government should initiate social programs that would take care of everyone. Those students believed every word he said, I wonder how they felt several years later, when they were parents, with mortgages, car payments, and child rearing expenses.

When I took journalism, we were taught that the job of the journalist was to report, not to judge.

It is a way to avoid some problem, but in my opinion is impossible to do.

The journalist is inevitably judging his material.

What is being acclaimed as objectivity is to take a middle position.

The objectivity really must mean to take objective position: if one side is wrong, one is supposed to take the side that is right.

es

Dialectics claims' date=' that everything turns into its opposite.

Who knew this will happen to the media and academia of all things?!

Academia has turned into fools and parasites, as media has turned into parasites and fools.

And like it was said, if the salt loses its saltiness, what can be used to salt it anymore?

Can anything be done?

ES[/quote']

They couldn't beat religous institutions, government and corporations so they decided to join them?

Now excuse me while I go matriculate at Tapeworm University.

Shouldn't you "strobilate" at Tapeworm U? (Yay for bad parasitology jokes!)

This by no means change the fact that as a whole, those institutions have been prostituted into self-serving parasites.

You assertion is not basis. Show me justification for this assertion.

Mokele

Should I mention what I am about to mention?

Okay, you guys don't know where I live so here goes: When I was a teaching adjunct at a local community college, I had a student plagiarized his essays from the internet. He didn't even properly purchase them. He just copied sample essays verbatim.

The first time I did this I took his essay and the internet essay and layed them in front of the division head side by side. He told me to give this guy another chance. So I did despite my misgivings. For instance, the student handbook said this guy should recieve a zero.

When this guy did it twice more and when his exit exam looked very suspicious as well, I again went to the division head. He said he would look these over and let me know but he said that this student was claiming I had said something racist to him in private. This was utterly untrue. I waited to hear from the division head on how I should handle the student's plagiarism. I wanted to give him an F and told the division head so. After all, my other students had to work for their grades.

Now understand, adjuncts can get paid very little and their positions are always tenuous. I had been hired on a temporary basis for the semester. Previous to my hiring I had just been through a major and costly health crisis and the resulting bills left me near bankruptcy. I definitely wanted to be rehired.

Finally I got the word just before grades needed to be turned in. I was to pass the plagiarizing student. So I did.

I did not get rehired.

I have since learned that while the college publicly demands honest work from students that they often overlook plagiarizism. Instead, they are eagering touting their retention rate. Not flunking students who plagiarize is one way they keep their retention rate up.

Silly me. I don't know what I was thinking.

Damn! Where do you work? That sounds like an awful situation!

Our place is intolerant of plagiarists. If we found something we suspected was plagiarized, it was up to us to find the evidence, but if we did, the student automatically got zero for that work on their first offence. Subsequent offences incur greater penalties, up to being kicked out of University.

Last year they introduced a new system (JISC) whereby all students submitting course work have to submit hard copy (for us) and they have to upload a soft copy into the JISC system on the students webpage. The JISC system searches the text of their work and tries to match it with anything on the internet and also with anything on any other submitted work.

The penalties remain; zero for the offending work on the first offence, greater penalties for subsequent offences, up to and including expulsion.