Swords into Ploughshares

petrushka.googol

As long as we have individual nations, we're going to need protection. Even if all the nations get along, there will always be groups that don't, in a world with this many people. It's very rational to keep a few swords around, just for the odd intruders, and then you might as well make sure everyone knows you've got them.

It would be great to think we could reach a point where we don't wage war on ourselves anymore. My solution is always better education, make the world smaller, get to know each other better as people.

I think our ultimate future is in offplanet exploration, and I'm not sure how we'll approach that when it comes to protecting ourselves. Will we feel the need to bear arms in defense against what may happen to us out there? If we're not warring amongst ourselves, will we assume there might be dangers requiring a few swords in space?

• 4 weeks later...

To paraphrase Isaiah from the Bible Will there ever come a day when nations will turn their swords into ploughshares?

How much of human emotional inventory is expressed as hate and discord?

And will Reason eventually triumph?

Please express your thoughts on this.

It happens all the time. Once a conquering nation wins a war.The submitting country gets many of plows! Peace only happens in-between wars. Kinda like medicine with a side effect!

Call me cynical, but you can still kill a human with a ploughshare.

It won't help to just disband our armies, and melt down the weapons. The only way to prevent conflict is when people lose more through war then they can gain. For example, in the EU, the integrated economy means that individual countries must cooperate. Any aggressor in the EU commits economic suicide.

Call me cynical, but you can still kill a human with a ploughshare.

It won't help to just disband our armies, and melt down the weapons. The only way to prevent conflict is when people lose more through war then they can gain. For example, in the EU, the integrated economy means that individual countries must cooperate. Any aggressor in the EU commits economic suicide.

You are right, and your assertion echos the premise of the classic work The Great Illusion by Norman Angell, published before before World War I. This author received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1933 for his work, which just goes to show how influential Nobel Peace Prize winners are.