Would you kindly help me in English?

Cyrus the Great

A preposition establishes the relationship between the references of two other parts of the sentence - in this case the relationship between what was referred to by "one" and "a million". Clearly the relationship "in" is not the same as the relationship "out of". Although the exact distinction may be difficult to describe, there is one without doubt - a competent writer will not choose at random between them.

I agree but on the other hand, common use and misuse can define a phrase, so that literally literally means figuratively, "couldn't care less" and "could care less" mean the same thing, etc. So if people have carelessly used "one in N" and "one out of N" often enough, then the "wrong meaning" can become an accepted meaning (which I find unfortunate), and even careful writers end up being able to choose according to style.

1.London University= University of London

2.The London university= the university of London

Hi again, and thank you for your help.

Would you possibly tell me if 1 and 2 are correct what is the difference between the following?

London University

The London university

I agree but on the other hand, common use and misuse can define a phrase, so that literally literally means figuratively, "couldn't care less" and "could care less" mean the same thing, etc. So if people have carelessly used "one in N" and "one out of N" often enough, then the "wrong meaning" can become an accepted meaning (which I find unfortunate), and even careful writers end up being able to choose according to style.

SO?

Edit by Hypervalent_iodine: I have added a quote corresponding to the last post in the thread that this reply was responding to. As I have since merged that thread with 3 or 4 others, it looked a little out of place and I felt adding the quote made where it was coming from a bit clearer.

Edited by hypervalent_iodine

Hi Cyrus,

Firstly, I assume that these are these homework questions? I have moved the thread to the Homework Help section.

Secondly, based on the above assumption, you will need to show some effort in answering the second part. What do you notice is different about the two terms and what do you think that means?

Edit:

!

Moderator Note

After some review, I have decided to merge all of your threads that ask for help in English into one big thread as they are starting to get a little repetitve. Cyrus, please place all of your questions about your English homework, etc., in this thread.

Nashville, Tennessee, has long been known as the capital of country music.

Would you kindly tell me why you do not say "the country music"?

In addition, why do not we use capital letters for country and music(Country Music)?

Thank you so much.

For example: Tehran University

Tehran is a specific noun as well as University

If I am right what about country music?

Why do not you write Country Music?

Why do not you right the country music? or the Country Music?

With charming shops and restaurants, Old Town is the most picturesque section of Albuquerque.

Why do you use "with"? why do not use "for" here?

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings

Could you tell me the meaning of this sentence?

program had already gone so far over schedule that the Geneva Intercontinental Hotel had been given over to another event.

In addition: why has been used the word "already"?

Source:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/25/us-iran-nuclear-talks-special-report-idUSBRE9AO00820131125

A black tie charity ball was finishing up and singers with an after party band at a bar above the lobby were crooning out the words to a Johnny Cash song - "I fell into a burning ring of fire" - while weary diplomats in nearby conference rooms were trying to polish off the last touches of an accord. Negotiators emerged complaining that the hotel lobby smelled like beer.

Would you kindly tell me the meaning of "to polish off the last touches of an accord"?

At around 2:00 a.m., U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and counterparts from Britain,China, France, Germany and Russia were brought to a conference room to approve a final text of the agreement which would provide limited relief of sanctions on Iran in return for curbs to its nuclear program.

Would you please tell me the meaning of " would provide limited relief of sanctions on Iran in return for curbs to its nuclear program"?

Source:

At the last minute, with the ministers already gathered in the room, an Iranian official called seeking changes. Negotiators for the global powers refused. Finally the ministers were given the all clear. The deal, a decade in the making, would be done at last.

1. What does with mean here?why with?

2.the ministers were given the permission to do that( what were given the ministers permission to do that ?????)

3.I really can not understand this: Finally the ministers were given the all clear. The deal, a decade in the making, would be done at last.

4. what is the difference between Ministers or negotiators here?

"To polish off" in this context means to complete the last unfinished details. (For things like a sculpture, furniture or jewelry, the act of polishing is done last). That's reinforced by the mention of "the last touches" (another reference to artwork, in this case painting). An accord is some sort of treaty or agreement.

So, they were discussing and coming to agreement over the final details of a treaty.

They would remove some, but not all, of the sanctions. Put another way, they are lessening the severity of the sanctions i.e. weakening them so that they are not so harsh if they will limit their nuclear programme.

Edited by StringJunky

"Limited relief" means a reduction in the severity of the sanctions, but not cessation of them.

To "curb" is to stop (a curb is supposed to stop a car from rolling off the street). So Iran would stop work on its nuclear program.

Thank you all so much and, my last question about this article is this:

At the last minute, with the ministers already gathered in the room, an Iranian official called seeking changes. Negotiators for the global powers refused. Finally the ministers were given the all clear. The deal, a decade in the making, would be done at last.

I really can not understand the whole of the sentence.

Moreover, what is the difference between negotiators and ministers here( in this sentence)???!!!

Would you possibly explain in details each part?

And what is the difference between deal and accord which has been written above this sentence?????why do not we say an accord instead of the deal?

you put on the last touches of paint

Would you please tell me what this mean? or what does touch mean here??

The brush on the canvas. The "last touches" are usually small but important modifications, literally just touches of the brush on the canvas, rather than "bold strokes" that are the majority of the basis for the painting.

!

Moderator Note

Cyrus,

I have asked for you to not post multiple topics asking for help in English. Please confine your questions to this thread.

Could you PL tell me why u don't say : i have asked for you not to post ,,,,,? why u guys always say ' to not do sth ' ?

thanks dear.

• 3 weeks later...

"He was not as much quick a learner as his brother."

Doesn't sound right to me.

I'd say "He was not as quick a learner as his brother."

or "He was not so quick a learner as his brother."

and I'm not sure if either of those is more correct than the other, but I think both would be accepted.