Alcoholic beverages

imdow123

Well I just crossed 18 and I was wondering what are the effects of alcoholic drinks on health.

In my country, consuming alcohol is not that common. Some people regard it as bad ethics and mostly are for ill-behaving people while some consume it but only in parties and pubs.

While in Europe, America and most countries it is a common beverage. People perhaps consume it frequently.

I'm rather confused of whether it is healthy or not. Being a science forum I would like a rather scientific answer. Thank You!

It's complicated.

Small quantities of alcohol are probably not significantly harmful: they may even be beneficial.

Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to find it hard to stop after "small quantities" and when it comes down to it, the stuff is toxic.

Drink more, and you suffer a greater risk of damage.

Studies have repeatedly shown a drink or 2 of beer or wine each day is good for you.

Beer, wine and other alcoholic drinks are good for you but not if you are getting drunk. Even getting a little drunk is bad for you. If you slam 3 beers in a row, that will be a detriment to your health. If you sip 3 beers or glasses of wine over 4 hours you will not get drunk and they will actually help your health.

Or at least that's my take on the studies. smile.png

Depends exactly what you mean by bad - the studies people usually refer to which show small alcohol consumption can be beneficial are only for coronary heart disease. However, for cancers and other cardiovascular disease the risk is linear; increasing risk with increasing consumption.

Don't take our word for it though, here's some evidence:

This is the only meta-analysis including different forms of cardiovascular disease i could find. There might be more comprehensive reviews around though, i'm not sure.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0091743503003384

This is the most comprehensive review in the world of the risks of cancer related to diet/exercise. You can find alcohol in chapter 4.

http://www.dietandcancerreport.org/expert_report/report_contents/index.php

I'll throw this one in just for fun. Here someone has tried to quantify harm in a number of ways (e.g. harm to self and harm to others) It shows overall alcohol is the most harmful drug (in the UK at least). Not everyone agrees on the criteria for classifying harm though so this one is controversial.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2810%2961462-6/fulltext