Choose your favorite operating system

deep

There's been lots of debate on which operating system is the best. Well, here's a poll to see where your favorite operating system compares with other people's opinions.

I think that Windows 95 is the most stable. Even though most newer software isn't win 95 compatable (or doesnt say it is). It was the one that Microsoft put the most time into and has the least ammount of errors of all the MS OS's.

Guest Syntax

Whoever Chris is, please tell me you think windows 95 is more stable than linux? GO AHEAD... SAY IT

Adrian has a small penis

Originally posted by Syntax

Hey, you forgot to add Unix :(

Not to mention Solaris, Tru64, HP-UX, SCO, IRIX, AIX, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and OS X.

Incidentally, I understand that due to the virtual memory management bugs in the 2.4.X kernels, all of these operating systems (including WinNT/2K) offer better stability than Linux, and according to http://securityfocus.com they all have had fewer reported vulnerabilities than Red Hat. Apparently.

Still, glad to see that WinME has 0 votes :)

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason I really like Win 98 is the options for customization. You can edit the way the bar fades across the top and it seems to crash a lot less than my older Win 95 version. Win Me and XP just look stupid to me. The only thing I like about WIN Me is that it is starting to eliminate DOS. But that is also the reason I dislike it. Some of my old DOS games crash a lot more when I play them on ME. DOS was my favorite though. You actually had to know a little something to use it and it was just so pretty looking.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CelticSkyhawk

I've definitely become a SCO flunkie as of late, but of the listed options, I'd probably say Linux or XP.

Of the posted options, I'll choose Linux. If you want customization, Windows doesn't come close. There are loads of window and file managers available to run with the X window system. If you want to talk about stability and vulnerability, then I've seen no evidence that Windows rivals Linux, except perhaps XP. And if Linux is vulnerable and unstable, at least a knowledgable coder has the chance to correct the problem for himself and post the solution on the Net for everyone else to download. ::shrugs::

The people at Skyz seem to talk high of Linux in some of there tech threads. It might even have been John over there. If it was, thanks for your help over here.

Listen to da man, Deep.:cool2:

Just aman

I have much respect for the Unix and Linux operating systems. Except, for the fact I have 0 use for either one of them. I program VCL Delphi and Visual Basic applications. Now, if I worried about the CLX Delphi applications, then I would have a use for Linux.

I refuse to think anything is better than Windows XP (I love the latest products that Microsoft is putting out) though, maybe the Windows .NET will be, who knows :P

• 2 months later...

It should be more of a poll like

MacOS/OS-X

Windows 9x/Me

Windows Nt/2k/Xp

Unix (All distributions including but not limited to Tru64, NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, etc..)

Linux

BeoS/OpenBeOS(Open BeOS not released yet)

• 2 weeks later...

First off, I'd llike to point out to chris that all of Microsoft's NT based OSes (NT, 2000, XP) are several times more stable than those of the 9x line.

My favourite OS will have to be Linux. Either the Slackware or the Debian distributions, I can't decide which.

I'm not a big fan of Windows, although I rather like XP. Also, the .NET platform looks rather promising, especially the c# language I've had a play with. If this goes cross-platform I will be extremely happy.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I refuse to think anything is better than Windows XP (I love the latest products that Microsoft is putting out) though, maybe the Windows .NET will be, who knows :P [/b]

I don't follow Microsoft's devious plan to take over the world and have total domination over everyone. So tell me, what the hell is .net?

Originally posted by Scorpio

The only reason I really like Win 98 is the options for customization. You can edit the way the bar fades across the top and it seems to crash a lot less than my older Win 95 version.

All versions of Windows suck. The only ones that seem not to crash every 5 minutes is Expee.

http://msboycott.com/media/