Make ice cube with microwave oven

Richard130

1. Hello,

I saw this movie on youtube : "Free energy generator - Make ice cube with microwave oven "

This film shows how it is possible, under certain conditions, to make a microwave oven work in a particular way to generate cold !

Is it really possible to make ice cube with microwave oven ?

Thank you.

Polarized electric makes no sense to me, you have positive and negative in a circuit to represent the direction of current, you cant switch them in the way they make out because certain components, such as transitors and diodes work in a particular way, it would just blow the circuit.

As far as the physics behind the water goes, the EM microwave causes h2o to oscilate which causes the particles to 'rub' creating kinetic energy, you would have to slow the oscilations to freeze it, if this were true freezers wouldnt use air presure to create cold, they would use this method i presume. Freezers emit heat by using a compressor to 'suck' the heat out, sort of.

Proofs in the pudding though, a physicist could verify it. My knowledge it basic.

EDIT: reversing the circuit makes no sense but it may be possible to reverse the microwave to slow oscilation, im not sure of the physics behind this.

Edited by DevilSolution

It's a fake, but it's very carefully done.

One of the comments on you tube translates as "This documentary on the microwave oven is a scientific fraud. It was designed to show that experiments performed in a specialized laboratory, with the scientific support of a physician in a white coat, are not absolutely guarantee a reliable and serious scientific message. Stay alert. Do not believe everything you are told on the internet"

One of the comments on you tube translates as "This documentary on the microwave oven is a scientific fraud. It was designed to show that experiments performed in a specialized laboratory, with the scientific support of a physician in a white coat, are not absolutely guarantee a reliable and serious scientific message. Stay alert. Do not believe everything you are told on the internet"

Most people essentially think of a microwave as a magic heating box. When a magician (i.e. sciencey-looking guy) says he can reverse the polarity and turn it into a magic cooling box, it sounds reasonable.

Who said he had water in the first place in the cup? :)

He could have some substance that after a while (or after heating) is crystallizing..

Street magicians are using one of them all the time, to show they are changing "water" (some undefined liquid) to "ice"..

I didn't really think so. Every scene, from the oscilloscope to the orange squeezer was obviously fake.

One of the comments on you tube translates as

On another forum, the OP posted that (in screaming bold red) as well.

Of course the comment is ludicrous as science doesn't depend on trusting a man in a white coat (apart from the fact the setup in the video is a joke). It depends on review and replication.

I'm really baffled what the point of this video is. It isn't funny. It isn't a vaguely convincing lie. It is just stupid.

Edited by Strange

I'm really baffled what the point of this video is. It isn't funny. It isn't a vaguely convincing lie. It is just stupid.

I haven't bothered to watch the whole video, but maybe this is one of those "hoaxes", a well-presented gag to see how the audience reacts -- like dihydrogen monoxide.

I didn't really think so. Every scene, from the oscilloscope to the orange squeezer was obviously fake.

On another forum, the OP posted that (in screaming bold red) as well.

Of course the comment is ludicrous as science doesn't depend on trusting a man in a white coat (apart from the fact the setup in the video is a joke). It depends on review and replication.

To say something is "obvious" leads to the question "obvious to whom?"

It's clear to me that the oscilloscope "demo" was a trick (switching the slope detection on the scope.)

But it looks convincing if you don't know that there's a switch on the'scope that does that.

"Of course the comment is ludicrous as science doesn't depend on trusting a man in a white coat"

That's not the point though, is it?

The point is not what science actually does, but what people think science does. The comment isn't aimed at warning people who are scientists- it's aimed at people who get taken advantage of by people feigning science.

And you are simply mistaken to say "It isn't a vaguely convincing lie. "

It would convince many people- perhaps most.

100 g of water cooled 10 ºC is 4180 Joules removed (1 cal/gram, 4.18 Joules/cal). In 10 sec this is 418 Watts. Not a problem, physics-wise. However, doubling the power (and the scale is not linear, so max power is probably less than 880 Watts) will not freeze the ice, because you not only have to get it to 0 ºC, you must remove the latent heat, which is almost 80 times higher. Even if what they claimed was possible, they got greedy in not properly calculating the energy.

Also, the whole polarized light thing is rubbish. They mix the uses of "polarized".

To say something is "obvious" leads to the question "obvious to whom?"

It's clear to me that the oscilloscope "demo" was a trick (switching the slope detection on the scope.)

But it looks convincing if you don't know that there's a switch on the'scope that does that.

"Of course the comment is ludicrous as science doesn't depend on trusting a man in a white coat"

That's not the point though, is it?

The point is not what science actually does, but what people think science does. The comment isn't aimed at warning people who are scientists- it's aimed at people who get taken advantage of by people feigning science.

And you are simply mistaken to say "It isn't a vaguely convincing lie. "

It would convince many people- perhaps most.

Yes, you are probably right. It may not be obvious to everyone. However, it is trivially easy to debunk (e.g. the orange juicer reverses direction each time you use it). And maybe that was the point. But then why not end it with a reveal; a final section showing what they really did? A bit like Orson Welles' F for Fake

Also, the whole polarized light thing is rubbish. They mix the uses of "polarized".

That was the only line I thought was quite funny.

• 4 weeks later...