Magnetism and Magnet Learning Resources

davorsladovic

Hello Everybody,

I have somewhat of a weird question to ask. I am really interested in learning about Magnetism.

Now, I know what you all might say, just Google it, buy a book, watch a youtube video, etc.. But really, I am trying to find out if there is an actual course that I could take that would specifically focus on Magnetism.

I know that all of this is related to Physics, but I just wanted to see if there are any courses out there that would specifically focus on magnetism that I could take either Online or on a Campus type of a setting. I currently reside in Denver, CO.

There is so much information out there that I am somewhat lost and have no idea where to start. There are a ton of short videos online that all pretty much talk about the same thing, some articles etc... but it would be really cool to come across a resource that is specifically focused on Magnetism as a whole.

I would love to learn about these topics:

1. Magnetism in General

2. Magnets (everything about them)

3. Earth's Magnetic Field

4. How The Magnetic Field Impacts our Daily Life

5. Maps of Earth's Magnetic Field's broken down into sections etc...

6. Technology Utilizing Magnetism

7. etc...

Any and all information is much appreciated.

Thanks ahead,

Davor

Magnetism and Electricity are different forms of the same force, i think its best to start from the ground up and learn about electrical charge in atoms, how the electron, proton and neutron are related and then how chemically they form certain bonds which create magnetic flux. I'm not sure of any specific guide but theres lots overlapping science that are pre-requisits in understanding how magnetism works.

Essentially EM makes up a large portion of physical reality so its a very vast subject.

Different approach.

I recommend to play first with magnets, electromagnets, electric circuits. Buy an experiment kit. They're designed for children, but who cares - you'll get the intuitive feeling first, and the useful form of understanding it. Explanatory text in such kits is often excellent and just true.

Later, you can go to more academic explanations with more maths, but - sorry if this sounds provocative, it is not meant to be - if you were to get only one form of knowledge, the more useable one is from the experiment kit.

I wouldn't neither do it in the reverse sequence, academic then kit. But you might try to do both simultaneously.

• 4 weeks later...

If you want a basic hands on understanding of magnetism, experiment with a magnetic torus field (it's effect on things). Buy a dozen of those little 1/2 inch round flat ones with the strong charge. Engineerining them to maintain equal distance from each other to create a circular/contiuous field of influence is step one.

Edited by AfterViewer

• 1 month later...

Magnetism and Electricity are different forms of the same force, i think its best to start from the ground up and learn about electrical charge in atoms, how the electron, proton and neutron are related and then how chemically they form certain bonds which create magnetic flux. I'm not sure of any specific guide but theres lots overlapping science that are pre-requisits in understanding how magnetism works.

Essentially EM makes up a large portion of physical reality so its a very vast subject.

Hey DevilSolution, thanks for the reply. This definitely sounds like a good place to start. In fact, I am starting up college again with a focus on Electrical Engineering at MSUDenver. I will talk to the Electrical Engineering team there (students, professors etc...). I did take an Intro to Electricity class 2 years ago and I saw that the class focuses on exactly what you were talking about (unfortunately at the time I ended up having to drop the class due to personal reasons, but I am looking forward to retaking this class).

I'd say to narrow down the ideas, ask a physics professor, as they know the classes you need, and then go for it.

Hey JrPahoodney,

Definitely, working on this now (back in school) :)

I can teach you everything about the Magnet. smile.png

Hey Dream, thanks for the reply. How exactly can you teach me? What type of qualifications do you have etc... :)

Different approach.

I recommend to play first with magnets, electromagnets, electric circuits. Buy an experiment kit. They're designed for children, but who cares - you'll get the intuitive feeling first, and the useful form of understanding it. Explanatory text in such kits is often excellent and just true.

Later, you can go to more academic explanations with more maths, but - sorry if this sounds provocative, it is not meant to be - if you were to get only one form of knowledge, the more useable one is from the experiment kit.

I wouldn't neither do it in the reverse sequence, academic then kit. But you might try to do both simultanHi Enthalpy

Hi Enthalpy, I have definitely considered getting some of the experiment kits just to play around with magnets and to visually see how they interact with one another. I do have quite a few magnets that I bought to play around with so yeah I am definitely trying to do some of that. In fact I am trying to build a self rotating disk and some other experimental devices so yeah this is definitely something I am pursuing while I am studying. Thanks for the reply.

Thank you for the obvious response mellow.png

Hey Dream, thanks for the reply. How exactly can you teach me? What type of qualifications do you have etc... smile.png

Hi Enthalpy, I have definitely considered getting some of the experiment kits just to play around with magnets and to visually see how they interact with one another. I do have quite a few magnets that I bought to play around with so yeah I am definitely trying to do some of that. In fact I am trying to build a self rotating disk and some other experimental devices so yeah this is definitely something I am pursuing while I am studying. Thanks for the reply.

Thank you for the obvious response mellow.png

you r welcome evil.gifevil.gifevil.gifdry.pngdry.png