Sound Breach Light Speed?

Obnoxious

Rather we like it or not, light speed is only constant for all proison (sp?) matter, and since certain types of light do actually break the barrier, I was wondering if sound can do the same.

I propose a thought experiment, suppose we get hydrogen, I was thinking that perhaps we can apply tremedous heat and pressure to the gas until it is super hot, but since there is tremendous pressure, the gas should still be solid.

Now, if we are to produce a sound into the block, can that sound wave travel faster than light if the block of hydrogen is hot enough?

Rather we like it or not, light speed is only constant for all proison (sp?) matter

What? :confused: Maybe I'm just ignorant...

, and since certain types of light do actually break the barrier,

Again; What? :confused:

I was wondering if sound can do the same.

I propose a thought experiment' date=' suppose we get hydrogen, I was thinking that perhaps we can apply tremedous heat and pressure to the gas until it is super hot, but since there is tremendous pressure, the gas should still be solid.

[/quote']

The gas should still be solid?

Someone, either you or me, is missing some pieces.

Prosons (sp?) are bascially everyday things that have mass, they are the opposite of bosons which do not follow the standard classical Newtonian physic rules.

There are certain types of bosons and waves that can breach and surpass light speed, one form is called the advanced ray, this is the major driving force behind the theory that suggests that the future affects the past.

The boiling/fusion point of all elements depend not only on heat, but on pressure, the greater the pressure, the greater the fusion/boiling point. Which is why scientists believe that at the core of Jupiter, there is a sea of molten hydrogen at an extremely high temperature.

I was thinking that since sound is a wave, albiet compressional, it should still have the capability of traveling faster than light in theory...unless sound has mass...

Looks complicated but it should be impossible. I mean electromagnetic radiation is basically the fastest way for the trasmission of information in a vacuum (the speed of light). Sound is a P-wave (pressure wave). Unlike electromagnetic waves, sound waves cannot be propogated in a vacuum, only through a medium (such as air).

Prosons (sp?) are bascially everyday things that have mass' date=' they are the opposite of bosons which do not follow the standard classical Newtonian physic rules.

[/quote']

Bosons are particles with integral spin, to which Bose statistics apply. They follow Newtonian physics as well as anything (except for the inherently relativistic ones, like photons, which have a few special rules). Hydrogen is a Boson, since the proton and electron are both spin 1/2. So is He-4.

What Bosons don't do is follow Fermi-Dirac statistics, or the Pauli exclusion principle (which applies only to Fermions). Deuterium and He-3 would be examples of Fermions, as well as the individual electrons, neutrons and protons, which are all spin 1/2.

and since certain types of light do actually break the barrier, I was wondering if sound can do the same.

what type of light breaks the speed of light?????

by the barrier i assume you are talking about the speed of light?

Yes, but Bosons (as oppose to ferimons >_>) alone have the ability to violate certain classical newtonian physical laws such as occuping the same space at the same time with another boson. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Helium-4 only behave like a boson when chilled to almost absolute zero?

As regarding the medium for the sound wave to travel, I suggested the hydrogen under extreme heat and pressure. If the hyrdogen is hot enough, it should technically be able to transport sound waves faster than the light speed barrier >_>

Yes' date=' but Bosons (as oppose to ferimons >_>) alone have the ability to violate certain classical newtonian physical laws such as occuping the same space at the same time with another boson. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Helium-4 only behave like a boson when chilled to almost absolute zero?

As regarding the medium for the sound wave to travel, I suggested the hydrogen under extreme heat and pressure. If the hyrdogen is hot enough, it should technically be able to transport sound waves faster than the light speed barrier >_>[/quote']

At high enough pressures sound can break the speed of light "according to Newtonian formulas" (which would not be valid in the same way F= ma does not hold at relativistic speeds).

Is this what you are getting at?

I think you are referring to supersymmetry (in higher physics) which is highly complicated. However, if strings really exist they will replace the notion of elementary particles in quantum field theory (e.g. the standard model is a quantum field theory).

If i understood correctly, the deepest problem in current physics is that general relativity and quantum mechanics cannot both be right. General relativity explains the behavior of the universe at large scales, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of subatomic particles. Yet the theories collide horribly under extreme conditions such as black holes or times close to the big bang. Since both theories are highly successful, theoretical physicists search for a theory of everything (a unified framework for all fundamental forces). Here's where string theory comes in.

The most self-consistent superstring theories propose 10 dimensions; 4 correspond to the 3 ordinary spatial dimensions and time (a continuum which lacks spatial dimensions), while the rest are curled up and not perceptible.

Even if strings exist, right now we don't have the technology to observe them (strings are said to be roughly of Planck length, about 10-35 meters across).

The problem is that sound waves are compression waves (and i believe, compression requires energy). All we know is that sound waves cannot be propagated in vacuum. Mechanical waves such as sound waves require a medium through which to travel, while electromagnetic waves do not require a medium and can be propagated through a vacuum.

Strictly speaking, only compression waves occurring in air should be called sound waves, unless the eardrum is actually in contact with another medium such as water (as for skin diver). The term sound is often used for any compression wave, in any medium.

Also as we currently know, it's only possible for light to go faster-than-light. A wave front, e.g., can go faster than light but without carrying energy.

I believe that general relativity is just not complete. I mean general relativity sees gravity as geometrical and not as a force. This is not the case in quantum mechanics. Maybe quantum mechanics would have to replace some parts in general relativity. Otherwise it seems to be consistent with special relativity.

Yes' date=' but Bosons (as oppose to ferimons >_>) alone have the ability to violate certain classical newtonian physical laws such as occuping the same space at the same time with another boson. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Helium-4 only behave like a boson when chilled to almost absolute zero?

[/quote']

Heium-4 is a Boson, so it always behaves like a Boson. I think it would be more accurate to say that the behavior that identifies it as a Boson (superfluidity) is only apparent when it's very cold.

To say that this behavior is non-Newtonian is a bit of a non-sequitur, since it's a consequence of quantum mechanics (i.e. spin). All QM behavior is, in a sense, non-Newtonian.

• 1 month later...
Sound doesn't have mass >_> It is a wave, so it can in theory go past light speed without screwing up anything <_<

Sound is compression and rarefaction of particles, its speed is limited by the mass of those particles

Sound is compression and rarefaction of particles, its speed is limited by the mass of those particles

That's right...sound can only go as fast as the medium it's traveling through can vibrate.

It's highly unlikely that something physical will ever breach the speed of light because there is no known energy to carry it. This will require some unknown force (extra-dimensional) we don't know about.

What was observed in quantum tunneling was an illusion. There was no particle that really went faster than light because of the uncertainty principle.

• 2 weeks later...