magnesium deficiency

alisonjane2012

If you are looking for reliable information, I would suggest you go directly to the scientific literature (it's hard to tell who has authority on the matter on a forum like this, and it's probably not the best place to get medical advice).

In what context are you looking for "effectiveness"? There are studies covering the effectiveness of magnesium supplementation on ADHD, blood pressure, pregnancy, etc. Let me know so that I can point you in the direction of some good sources (so then you could draw the conclusions yourself rather than depending on unreliable sources)

Just had a look in one of my books (Nature's Building Blocks, John Emsley). It says:

Magnesium deficiency is rare (it occasionally occurs through alcoholism or severe malnutrition) but a normal diet usually provides enough. Foods with high levels of magnesium include: brazil nuts, cashew nuts, soya beans, parsnips, bran, chocolate, and brewer's yeast (all having more than 200mg per 100g). And some beers. [All good then!] The symptoms of magnesium deficiency resemble delerium tremens. Dietary magnesium supplements are not very effective because it is only absorbed slowly through the stomach and gut. Those who need it are given saline-magnesium solution intravenously.

• 2 weeks later...

I know a bit about magnesium and supplementation.

In plants, magnesium is an elemental requirement for photosynthesis. Calcium competes with magnesium as an ion because these elements are in the same period. It does so to the point of magnesium deficiency, regardless of sufficient quantities of magnesium.

In animals the biological need for magnesium is not the same. Animals do not use magnesium structurally as they do calcium.

Magnesium is a considered "laxative" but more appropriately it could be considered a digestive stimulant. In ruminants this probably the predominant function which suffers deficiency.

Magnesium excess may result in a calcium deficiency by the same principals calcium causes magnesium deficiency in plants.

There are studies covering the effectiveness of magnesium supplementation on ADHD, blood pressure, pregnancy, etc.

No they're not!

Edited by vampares