Fractal geometry points to evolution in plant kingdom

The sunflower embodies one of nature's most beautiful symmetries.

The pattern of seeds in the sunflower uses the golden ratio which is an irrational number.

Does evolution as a species also include the plant kingdom?

Will evolution continue and produce even more wonderful manifestations in the future?

Does nature have a innate harmony that we are yet to discover?

Please express your ideas.

Thanks in advance.

The sunflower embodies one of nature's most beautiful symmetries.

The pattern of seeds in the sunflower uses the golden ratio which is an irrational number.

Does evolution as a species also include the plant kingdom?

Yes, plants evolved just like everything else that is alive.

Will evolution continue and produce even more wonderful manifestations in the future?

Yes, evolution does continue but how wonderful anything may or may not be is subjective.

Does nature have a innate harmony that we are yet to discover?

I'me not sure that has an answer at this time so "I don't know" is as honest as i can be.

Please express your ideas.

Thanks in advance.

no problem...

I agree with Moontanman.

In addition, I'd like to add that space is filled with electromagnetic energy with frequencies from near zero to greater than 1019Hz. If there is harmony, there must be many and the cacophony sounds like noise. Look into space at stars, nebula, galaxy clusters, x-ray jets from quasars, etc.; these structures suggest harmonies. Thus, the question is open; we do not know.

I have a very simplistic view of the situation.

From simple unicellular forms (like algae) through mitosis to more complex multi-cellular forms evolution in the plant and animal kingdom has evolved from simple rational number symmetries and forms (like 1, 2, 4....) to forms defined by irrational numbers (while maintaining overall integral symmetries). eg. sunflower is bilaterally symmetrically (integer symmetry) but its seeds are distributed as an irrational number. The evolution of flower shape and symmetry is of great interest to plant biologists, because it can affect pollinator behavior.

Please refer :

http://www.plosgenetics.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pgen.1002628

I think the full import of this process of "mathematical" evolutionary adaptation is yet to be fully fathomed.

Nature does things without any intention, although there is a general tendency to higher complexity. We are one with nature (i.e. we are subjected to the same laws as anything else) so it is not surprising that we find symmetry, order and beauty in natural things. The laws of mathematics and physics/biology are emboddied in all natural things and it is up to us to discover and describe them. Fractal geometry exists in living biologial organisms including humans, and it goes far deeper than generally appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Nature does things without any intention, although there is a general tendency to higher complexity. We are one with nature (i.e. we are subjected to the same laws as anything else) so it is not surprising that we find symmetry, order and beauty in natural things. The laws of mathematics and physics/biology are emboddied in all natural things and it is up to us to discover and describe them. Fractal geometry exists in living biologial organisms including humans, and it goes far deeper than generally appreciated.

Found a very interesting article related to fractals and bronchioles.

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=27jqL2dQJLAC&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=bronchioles+and+fractal+algorithms+japan&source=bl&ots=b4H-naSMt1&sig=qhYW9RHS2B8-27kSMEDBNWloFZY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MnB8UvGBM4aFrAffroD4Bw&sqi=2&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=bronchioles%20and%20fractal%20algorithms%20japan&f=false

Amazing how nature plays out in subtle forms.