The maximum number of elements possible in perodic table !!

vigram

!

Moderator Note

Sunshaker - I hid your hijack. Please do not advertise your own thread in another's. Thanks

i had no intention of hijacking, i enjoy thinking on the periodic table, i just replied with a simple table i had made,

Can i at least state i believe there are a possible 172 elements.

The higher elements are radioactively unstable. The heavier elements are so unstable they quickly decay. For that reason I don't think there is a definite maximum number of elements. These higher elements were created in laboratories and don't exist in nature.

The higher elements are radioactively unstable. The heavier elements are so unstable they quickly decay. For that reason I don't think there is a definite maximum number of elements. These higher elements were created in laboratories and don't exist in nature.

If there is no upper limit imposed by other forces, gravity seems to impose the minimum size of a neutron star, whose structure seems inconsistent with an atom because neutron stars contain electrons.

There should be a maximum, since the nuclear force saturates but adding protons increases the repulsion. You will reach a size where you can no longer form a bound state with an added proton.

There should be a maximum, since the nuclear force saturates but adding protons increases the repulsion. You will reach a size where you can no longer form a bound state with an added proton.

Is that the point at which rather than decaying quickly the new element doesn't form in the first place? And yr next post will be a landmark - 24k posting (k can stand for thousand or karat)

Is that the point at which rather than decaying quickly the new element doesn't form in the first place? And yr next post will be a landmark - 24k posting (k can stand for thousand or karat)

It shouldn't form in the first place, though the possibility of magic numbers (more tightly bound nuclei for filled shells) makes it a more complicated situation than just looking at electrostatic repulsion.

It shouldn't form in the first place, though the possibility of magic numbers (more tightly bound nuclei for filled shells) makes it a more complicated situation than just looking at electrostatic repulsion.

24k gold! Grats and thanks so much, Tom!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.