Computer Cannot Read Floppy Disk

noz92

I was working on a report for school (on the computer), and so I can take my work to and from school, I saved all of my data on a floppy disk. I was working on it until I left about 3 hours ago (I had a little accident involving a car door, so I came back home), and now my computer won't read the disk, instead I get a pop up message that says:

The disk in drive A is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?

yes/no

. I clicked yes, and got a pop up with a bunch of scroll bars, first one saying: "Capacity: 3.5", 1.44MB, 512bytes/sector" (only option), second saying "File System: FAT" (only option), third saying: "Allocation: Default allocation size" (only option), a text box with the words "Volume Lable: [text box]".

Below that was the words: Format options, and then a check list below with the first option being "Quick Format" (unchecked), second one said "enable compression" (unchecked), but this one was unnavailable. And finaly the third one said: "Create an MS-DOS startup disk" (unchecked).

I just clicked start as it was, when I got a nother pop up message saying:

WARNING: Formatting disk will erase ALL data on this disk. To fomat the disk, click OK. To quit, click CANCEL.

OK/CANCEL

. I clicked OK, and I got yet another pop up message saying:
Windows was unable to complete the format.

OK

I do have some of it saved to my C:\ drive, so I thought I could just redo the parts that I don't have anymore. But now I can't take it to and from school. I tried saving it on a CD Rom, but for whatever reason, my computer can't record anything on CD-R disks (I've tried recording all sorts of things, data, music, etc.), but this time it didn't even recognize that there was a disk in the drive!

Does anybody have any solutions?

That floppy disk is most likely broken. Throw it away and get a new one - they cost next to nothing. Floppy disks are unreliable and should never be used as the only source for any data.

You can only save (burn) data onto a CD-R if you've got a drive that can do that. It sounds like your's is just a standard reader.

My advice get a usb flash drive they are fairly inexpensive, hell of a lot more reliable than floppys and hold dozens times more.

A good cheap one at newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-211-220&depa=1

Edit: Oh and if you don't know what they are...It's a memory stick using the usb port that can hold a good amount of data. They are usually plug and play so there is no software to install.

If you use the same floppy alot and write-erase-rewrite data on it all the time it won't last very long.

I do that, and that floppy was given to me by a friend, so I'm not sure how much he used it.

That floppy disk is most likely broken. Throw it away and get a new one - they cost next to nothing. Floppy disks are unreliable and should never be used as the only source for any data.

You can only save (burn) data onto a CD-R if you've got a drive that can do that. It sounds like your's is just a standard reader.

Well, it is now. My five-year-old sister took it apart (I'm not sure how she figured out how to do that.

But I've burned C-Ds on my computer before, I'm not sure why it's not working. It says that all my disks have no available memory on them (but when I put it through the program, it shows no data whatsoever).