The big bang still happening?

If the big bang was just an explosion 13.7 Billion years ago, then the event would have been over after the bang. But the big bang was not an ordinary explosion. It began with inflation, explosions don't work that way. And dark energy means that the bang is still happening.

So we are still expanding but we are no longer having anything emitted from the singularity? We are a bigger singularity? I know that second sentence doesn't use singularity in the proper context but that is the best way I can ask that question.

Basically everything right now is in the big freeze, everything is cooling down now while nothing is being emitted or hot?

• 2 weeks later...

So we are still expanding but we are no longer having anything emitted from the singularity? We are a bigger singularity? I know that second sentence doesn't use singularity in the proper context but that is the best way I can ask that question.

Nothing was "emitted" from a singularity. It seems unlikely that the singularity was a "thing". But the second sentence is more accurate; the universe is still expanding from some small hot dense state (which would be true even if the singularity is an accurate physical description). So everywhere in the universe was once much closer together.

The Big Bang was essentially an explosion, It happened. We may still be experince the "after shocks" but it isn't still happening

No it wasn't. And yes it is.

Edited by Strange

... But the second sentence is more accurate; the universe is still expanding from some small hot dense state (which would be true even if the singularity is an accurate physical description). So everywhere in the universe was once much closer together...

I may be wrong, I often am, but as I understand it: First there was a big bang and inflation and an expanding universe. Then at some time t1 the universe stopped expanding and started contracting. Then at time t2, about 7 billion years ago, the universe stopped contracting and began expanding again.

If that's the case then I doubt the current expansion can be blamed on the big bang.

I may be wrong, I often am, but as I understand it: First there was a big bang and inflation and an expanding universe. Then at some time t1 the universe stopped expanding and started contracting. Then at time t2, about 7 billion years ago, the universe stopped contracting and began expanding again.

If that's the case then I doubt the current expansion can be blamed on the big bang.

No, there hasn't been any period of contraction. The universe's expansion was gradually slowing up until 7 billion years ago, when the rate of expansion began to increase.

What I wanna know is, how the hell did the singularity form?

It is not clear that there was ever a singularity as a "thing". But, either way, we don't know anything about how the earliest universe came about: whether it was created, collapsed from some earlier universe, or any of the other speculative ideas.

The big bang was the initial explosion from a singularity. We are still experiencing an expanding universe.

To understand think of the expanding universe. Back in time all the matter was tight together. If you think back to when subatomic particles were pressed up against each other that still wasn't the beginning of our universe. To think back ever further we need to understand quantum theory but we are still not back to the singularity. To understand the origin of the universe and the singularity it is easiest to just think it all started from pure energy. Where'd this energy come from? This is before our universe so it's all speculation but one theory is the Oscillating Universe. A universe is created and expands. After many billions of years the universe stops expanding because of the gravitational pull of the mass in the universe. The universe contracts and collapse into one massive black hole. That energy is then used for the next universe.

The big bang was the initial explosion from a singularity. We are still experiencing an expanding universe.

To understand think of the expanding universe. Back in time all the matter was tight together. If you think back to when subatomic particles were pressed up against each other that still wasn't the beginning of our universe. To think back ever further we need to understand quantum theory but we are still not back to the singularity. To understand the origin of the universe and the singularity it is easiest to just think it all started from pure energy. Where'd this energy come from? This is before our universe so it's all speculation but one theory is the Oscillating Universe. A universe is created and expands. After many billions of years the universe stops expanding because of the gravitational pull of the mass in the universe. The universe contracts and collapse into one massive black hole. That energy is then used for the next universe.

The oscillating universe was one of the two expectations during most of the twentieth century, but since we learned that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, few scientists accept it as a possibility. Many believe in an infinite multiverse of which we know nothing, from which our Universe expanded about 13.8 Ga ago in an event known as the Big Bang (a misnomer). Some believe there are infinitely other universes similar to ours, perhaps with different laws of physics, that populate the multiverse.

Since the expansion of our universe is accelerating, as far as we know it will do so forever, which means the multiverse must be infinite and our universe will forever stretch towards infinity, forever cooling. As far as we know, space-time is contained within our Universe, and we cannot say with any certainty that anything exists outside our universe, or that an outside exists. There is inconclusive evidence that another universe touched ours at one time in the past, when the Universe was young, from the latest Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation map made by the Planck satellite.

Why are you answering my question with a question?

Why not? smile.png

Because your question suggests you think it could be an illusion. If so, what do you think causes the illusion?

If you don't think it could be an illusion, why ask the question?

What if the expanding universe is an illusion?

An illusion? Ah yes, this reminds me of the Steady State Theory.

Let me back up. We know that everything in the universe is moving apart. So that must mean the universe is expanding. Then there were some scientist that said "maybe as the universe is expanding more matter gets created". New stars and galleries can then form. So then after many billions of years the universe still looks the same. There are no voids bigger than billions of years ago. In other words the expanding universe would just be an illusion. Well not exactly but the point is that even after hundreds of billions of years the universe looks just that same. That is the Steady State Theory.

Then again the Steady State Theory was discounted many decades ago so never mind. unsure.png

Why not? smile.png

Because your question suggests you think it could be an illusion. If so, what do you think causes the illusion?

If you don't think it could be an illusion, why ask the question?

Because it is a presumption.

The question can mean different things to different people. To a thinker it would suggest thinking and to an observer it would suggest observation of both sides of the discussion.

I asked because the OP and most people believe that the universe is expanding while there is contrary information on the internet which suggests that the universe isn't expanding but it is merely an illusion of this supposed expansion.

Because it is a presumption.

What is? Expansion? No, it is based on several lines of consistent evidence.

I asked because the OP and most people believe that the universe is expanding while there is contrary information on the internet which suggests that the universe isn't expanding but it is merely an illusion of this supposed expansion.

There are all sorts of things on the Internet. You might need to find a more reliable source. I'm not aware of any evidence that contradicts expansion. (Although there are, of course, some unanswered questions. This is science after all.)

What is? Expansion? No, it is based on several lines of consistent evidence.

No. I mean't asking a question regarding my question with another question is a presumption on your part.

There are all sorts of things on the Internet. You might need to find a more reliable source. I'm not aware of any evidence that contradicts expansion. (Although there are, of course, some unanswered questions. This is science after all.)

Sometimes when I sit in my car and a manual transmission car beside me rolls back or moves forward, I experience the illusion that my car is either rolling back or moving forward while my car is infact standing still. This experience scares the hell out of me because I fear I will hit the car in front or behind me. Nonetheless, an illusion.

If there are unanswered questions, why are most scientists agreeing with the big bang theory as it were fact?

Edited by turionx2

If there are unanswered questions, why are most scientists agreeing with the big bang theory as it were fact?

That is the nature of science. There is a mountain of evidence for the theory. None against it and a few unknowns. There is no alternative theory that fits all the evidence. So people go with the best we have (for the time being).