Proteins, that contain Iron

There are quite a few different ways to classify proteins, but whatever you choose, you should be consistent. The first examples indicate that you wan to use the form of iron moiety to categorize. However, cytochromes actually contain heme, whereas iron transporters usually do not contain iron at all.

Edit: I should add, with transporters I meant transmembrane trasporters of iron, but I realized that you may mean iron storage proteins. In any case that would be a functional classification.

Edited by CharonY

For classification, I was thinking globular, fibrous and membrane.

I wondered about the transport proteins. Ferritin, for example, does it acquire iron atoms (I want to say "ions", correct?) or molecules? If atoms, does its bond with iron atoms differ much from a heme's such bond.

In some ways classifying on the basis of how the iron is coordinated makes sense. Of course, each type of coordination will have several functions. For example if we make a classification "heme iron proteins" we would have to include electron transfer proteins, oxygen transport proteins, and oxygen-using enzymes at the very least.

Hi,

I must write report about "Proteins, that contain Iron, functions and classification".

Just wondering. Is this an assignment for the entire class, or do other students have assignments for other elements (proteins that contain calcium, etc)? I'm curious because iron is what makes our flesh "pink" and our blood red, and it's the color of our health, embarrassment, anger, colds, solar overexposure, and all nighters ... and other things best left unsaid blink.png.

Well,

Other course mates must write report about different inorganic elements in liveforms. Like for example 1 guy is writing about K+ and Na+ ions in human body.

I just want to get the basics right. Classification, then rest should be easy. Just translation is a bit annoying from English to my mother tongue :)

But so far, ty for help, to sort things out.

When I think classification, I think structure. Because the word "function" is already listed, then I assume that the word "classification" directly relates to structure. And there are different kinds of protein structures.

Protein quaternary structure:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_quaternary_structure

other links to check out:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+classify+proteins&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

http://public.csusm.edu/jayasinghe/BiomolTutorials/ProteinClassification/ProteinClassification.html

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CEwQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.britannica.com%2FEBchecked%2Ftopic%2F479680%2Fprotein%2F72547%2FClassification-of-proteins&ei=67JXUrvmOoThyQGOh4HgDw&usg=AFQjCNEbej_QY90sf2vZfrjYwWfjrl-S4g&sig2=g-JS2uNgMV33SkQnlUWpTg

Classification by biological functions

In view of the unsatisfactory state of the old classification, it is preferable to classify the proteins according to their biological function. Such a classification is far from ideal, however, because one protein can have more than one function. The contractile protein myosin, for example, also acts as an ATPase (adenosine triphosphatase), an enzyme that hydrolyzes adenosine triphosphate (removes a phosphate group from ATP by introducing a water molecule). Another problem with functional classification is that the definite function of a protein frequently is not known. A protein cannot be called an enzyme as long as its substrate (the specific compound upon which it acts) is not known. It cannot even be tested for its enzymatic action when its substrate is not known.

"protein". Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica Online.
Encyclopædia Britannica Inc., 2013. Web. 11 Oct. 2013
<http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/479680/protein/72547/Classification-of-proteins>.

---> I would then believe that you need to classify proteins by their function.

Hmm.... Yes, myosin is a contractile protein in a sense... but in a more reductive sense, it's chemical capability is as an enzyme. The contractile part is more than likely related to some axiological spin of desired function rather than function by nature. In normal conditions, it's able to be a contracting protein, because it's an enzyme. Reductively, then, it would be classified as an ATPase.

Myson can contract (contractile protein) because it's an enzyme (ATPase) because it is catalytic (catalytic protein) because ...

Do you understand where I am going with this path of thinking, original poster? There are different levels of classification due to function. As such, there can be more than one classification for a protein with more than one chemical function. However, classification is reduced to the protein's chemical function. Choose a level of classification and be consistent. I believe there can be a specific classification and a general classification with this path of thinking. As such, choose a level of thinking.

Yeah, yeah, I'm rusty. Anyone can feel free to chime in.

I would think a binary classification scheme would be: enzymatic vs. non-enzymatic. That classification scheme would allow a general classification scheme. From there, you can more specifically classify proteins under those. As such, proteins NOT KNOWN to have enzymatic properties would be classified as non-enzymatic until the "specific substrate" or a substrate is identified that it can function on as an enzyme.

Edited by Genecks