You mean something like this:

kg (amount of matter, in mass)

mol (amount of matter, in moles)

J/kgK (specific heat)

J/kg (enthalpy)

Angstrom (length, bond length)

Celsius or Kelvin (temperature)

The list can become quite long...

Without math (or numbers), units are quite meaningless. And likewise, without units, you don't know what you're counting.

That is correct, and yes I am aware that the list goes on and on.

Then it is confirmed that units and numbers are important.

Other members should be aware of this, thanks.

To add some background, the OP is a misinterpretation of what I posted in this thread: http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/78987-how-do-you-add-exponents/?p=770371

To be specific, I was telling him not to place too much emphasis on achieving a specific number, like 1.0 because 1.0 is only meaningful depending on the system of units used.

As in, it doesn't mean anything to get 1.0 inches and declare that sacrosanct, because 1.0 inches is also equal to 25.4 mm.

If anything, the OP got my point completely backwards, because my point really is that it is of the utmost importance to be sure to write out what units you are using. But the units themselves are just a convention that everyone has agreed to.

This is also related to the OP's thread here: http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/79035-numerology-what-is-the-big-deal/ where he is also trying to ascribe significance to specific numbers that arise during a calculation.

Him??? My Profile has my gender hiddenwink.png

Any"hoo" This can get complex when we start talking about " latency" and how some micro bacteria in the human body do not react in curable manners with the antibiotics prescribed.

However " latency" is another issue when dealing with electrical devices connected to a computer system's audio program, in this case a midi interface and a musical interface..

I guess the real question is, why are bacteria and electricity both connected to latency or " a time delay"

Relativistic issues maybe???

Or even better, Do We Live In Two Worlds? Digital and Organic? or Material And Spiritual?

To add, strong nuclear forces such as those dealing with quarks up up down, and down down up, form the geometric configuration of a hexagram connected to gluons.

And as we know gluons stretch and shrink with maximum and minimum energies, such like a metric unit of measure with numbers connected to units.

When dealing with esoteric mathematics the geometry and proportions match those of phi ratio and pi ratio coupled with this hexagram form. But to add hexadecimal is also computer based.These are all facts.

Strong nuclear forces is perhaps the most highest of science and do have many religious connections coupled with " life" in general, the sustainability of matter and other things that are way above science's comprehensions.

Strong nuclear forces are not to our day and age understood. Have you a link that disproves this>>?

Now you may see why numerology, esoteric mathematics, science, religion and etc, may be one of the dozens of ways to describe this in our day and age, maybe in 1000 years they will have another method whom knows.

Coupled with QM, and atomic orbitals this gets even more complex...

The point is that these forces are " real " and they are unseen by us. And anything unseen is referred to as mysterious the most popular choice even in Hollywood films.

Edited by Iwonderaboutthings

That's not just not chemistry, it's word salad.

The particular choice of units is arbitrary- you can do chemistry perfectly well in BTU rather than Joules and using pound-moles rather than gram-moles.

There's nothing to stop you using rankine rather than kelvin.

The point is that this change of units will change the numbers.

So, if some compound has a melting point and boiling point that correspond numerically to Hitler's birthday, we know it can't be significant because, if we used the other set of units, it would no longer be true.

That's (one reason) why numerology is bunk.

So we know that this "Now you may see why numerology, ... may be one of the dozens of ways to describe this in our day and age" makes no sense.

We know that numerology is baseless.

That's not just not chemistry, it's word salad.

The particular choice of units is arbitrary- you can do chemistry perfectly well in BTU rather than Joules and using pound-moles rather than gram-moles.

There's nothing to stop you using rankine rather than kelvin.

The point is that this change of units will change the numbers.

So, if some compound has a melting point and boiling point that correspond numerically to Hitler's birthday, we know it can't be significant because, if we used the other set of units, it would no longer be true.

That's (one reason) why numerology is bunk.

So we know that this "Now you may see why numerology, ... may be one of the dozens of ways to describe this in our day and age" makes no sense.

We know that numerology is baseless.

Imaginary units also can refer to numerology, esoteric number theory and etc.

You seem to have forgot the whole " latency" description above also.

Interesting caparison with Hitler's birthday " THANKS FOR MAKING ME SICK TO MY STOMACH!

99% of numerology is based on healing the world, metaphysical cleansing and all other areas of human suffering.

But for the record, your famous i number theory for x^2 = -1 is also under speculation...

Controversy Surrounding Imaginary Numbers

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Imaginary_numbers

latency ... bacteria ... antibiotics

latency ... computer ... audio programs

hexagrams

hexadecimals

If I didn't think you were so serious about this "word salad" (good description, John), I'd think you were having fun with etymology.

Why don't you study etymology a bit? There's the Online Etymology Dictionary, a very good site.

My point is that a word with one original meaning is often used (and re-used) in other ways because people naturally describe something new in terms of what they already know.

Words are also adopted from other languages. For example, from the Latin hospes, meaning to provide accommodations for people, English gets hospice, hospitable, hospital, hospitality, host, hostess, hostage, hostel, hostler, hotel, and spital. (Hostage? Really? Yes, the phrase to hold hostage means to provide accommodations for someone until certain demands are met.) Personally, I like what we get from the Arabic sharbat, meaning a drink — the English words syrup, sherbet and sorbet. Yummy!

A few words are even adopted back into the original language in their new form. For example, we adopted Pokemon from the Japanese word Pokemon that they shortened from their Poketta Monsuta, a term they adopted from the two English words pocket and monster.

If "strong nuclear forces" is paired up with "strategic nuclear forces", where one influences a volume the size of an atom and the other influences a volume the size of the planet Earth, then it supposedly shows that one end of the size spectrum is the same as the other end. And, of course, it would be much more mysterious to match hexagrams with anagrams, milligrams, telegrams, and candygrams.

Honest, you're spending a lot of well-intended brain power on word salad.

If I didn't think you were so serious about this "word salad" (good description, John), I'd think you were having fun with etymology.

Why don't you study etymology a bit? There's the Online Etymology Dictionary, a very good site.

My point is that a word with one original meaning is often used (and re-used) in other ways because people naturally describe something new in terms of what they already know.

Words are also adopted from other languages. For example, from the Latin hospes, meaning to provide accommodations for people, English gets hospice, hospitable, hospital, hospitality, host, hostess, hostage, hostel, hostler, hotel, and spital. (Hostage? Really? Yes, the phrase to hold hostage means to provide accommodations for someone until certain demands are met.) Personally, I like what we get from the Arabic sharbat, meaning a drink — the English words syrup, sherbet and sorbet. Yummy!

A few words are even adopted back into the original language in their new form. For example, we adopted Pokemon from the Japanese word Pokemon that they shortened from their Poketta Monsuta, a term they adopted from the two English words pocket and monster.

If "strong nuclear forces" is paired up with "strategic nuclear forces", where one influences a volume the size of an atom and the other influences a volume the size of the planet Earth, then it supposedly shows that one end of the size spectrum is the same as the other end. And, of course, it would be much more mysterious to match hexagrams with anagrams, milligrams, telegrams, and candygrams.

Honest, you're spending a lot of well-intended brain power on word salad.

I checked out Etymology, read some a bit, but I think you are confusing me a bit here.

When I say hexagram, I mean the form of geometry not the word per say.

It has been in religion, philosophy art and so many other subjects that I am sure you may know about...

This being the case here I would only assume that this representation of harmony would be somewhere in the lines of what" science " describes as per say " harmonic oscillation, inverse square laws, proportionality, Doppler effects, double split, particle duality, " pi ratio" electrostatic equilibrium, balanced chemical equations. Its all complimentary much like color theory and QM.

Not to mention waves, circles, the precession of earth, yin and yang. From right angel triangles in Trigonometry following the Pythagorean Theorem. Hexagrams have been in use for centuries.

I assume since quarks and gluons been discovered perhaps the " word" century is an understatement.

Hexagrams also describe torque and momentum of energies as a vortex to " some."

Thus every angle of this has the famous 90 degrees " angles."

There is a reason why myth stays around so long.

So I hope this helps to clarify things...If not please let me know.

Oh and yes I am still waiting for Bignose, to tell me how they knew my gender when it is hidden in my profile.

If this proves psychic powers true then I was right all along.tongue.png

But for the record, your famous i number theory for x^2 = -1 is also under speculation...

Controversy Surrounding Imaginary Numbers

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Imaginary_numbers

QFT - using uncyclopedia as a reference!

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Uncyclopedia:About

This is a general introduction for visitors to Uncyclopedia. The project also has an uncyclopedic article about itself: Uncyclopedia.

Uncyclopedia is an encyclopedia full of misinformation and utter lies.

"99% of numerology is based on healing the world, metaphysical cleansing and all other areas of human suffering."

No, 100% of it is used to spread nonsense.

A couple of thousand hits on google for Hitler's birthday and numerology suggests it's exactly the sort of thing numerologists talk about. If that sickens you (and, perhaps it should) then drop numerology. (Churchill's birthday, for comparison got just 77 hits)

Come to think of it, drop numerology anyway: it's silly.

Citing a comedy website as evidence brings us firmly into the territory of Poe's law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law

In any event, this whole thread has nothing to do with chemistry and should be in speculations or the trash-can.

QFT - using uncyclopedia as a reference!

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Uncyclopedia:About

I have many many times before Quantum Field Theory, I am assuming that is what you are talking about.

Theoretical Frame Works, but theories only hold for so long until proven wrong. In these field axioms and the laws of algebra are no longer valid not to mention quanternion mathematics that turns everything inside out " also" termed " robotic arms."

Quaternions in Computer Vision and Robotics

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.52.6729&rep=rep1&type=pdf

I am assuming a more bold approach such like an algo rhythm that would solve x^2= -1

WHY??? Because QM deals with waves and electricity hence a system that is mechanical not organic that's ---> physics not a two way street here.

Ironically physics and QM rely on each other still to this date. Hence QM operators used in physical formulas and equation that "predict nature's behavior, such like a fortune teller does both make predictions and both at times can be wrong.

It has already been confirmed here that physics applies to the entire universe, this being the case we are all in a box is how I look at it.

I can only assume this is why -1 uses multiples of i units to know whats on the other side rather " forbidden regions" of space.

Needless to say it also helps to understand Polar Coordinates, rather static universes, " my God"ohmy.png

Hence, The Dirac Belt Trick: http://virtualmathmuseum.org/Surface/dirac-belt/DiracBelt.pdf

However then we have particles deciding when they want to be watched hence Double Slit.

From spin 1/2 particles to the very essence of G h and c not being equal to 1 " in SI units.

I would be more interested in them being = -1wink.png

In all applied cases from higher level maths to the very basics, seems everything is 1/2 missing still.

"99% of numerology is based on healing the world, metaphysical cleansing and all other areas of human suffering."

No, 100% of it is used to spread nonsense.

A couple of thousand hits on google for Hitler's birthday and numerology suggests it's exactly the sort of thing numerologists talk about. If that sickens you (and, perhaps it should) then drop numerology. (Churchill's birthday, for comparison got just 77 hits)

Come to think of it, drop numerology anyway: it's silly.

Citing a comedy website as evidence brings us firmly into the territory of Poe's law.

John who said I believe in numerology? My only interest in numerology is to understand "psychological perceptions." Healing the world with numbers and philosophy " aint " such a bad thing, but read on---->
Why I venture in these fields? Because To discover something is making sure no rocks are left un-turned.
Example, if I was attracted to the same sex, what good would I be as a counselor to a heterosexual couple??
The point is at least for me, is that if you are going to be a scientist and want to be a great one, you must free your mind from any biases and have a noble approach to all methods used in relation to numbers in all their uses.. Again: To discover something is making sure no rocks are left un-turned.
.At best like it or not we have 9 billion people on this world with many interpretations for the use of numbers.
Those numerologist online with with their predictions " should be sited" for fear mongering, I read about it all the time, and yes its a shame!

Get a grip.

When you says "99% of numerology is based on healing the world, metaphysical cleansing and all other areas of human suffering." rather than it's based on nothing, you are implying that you believe it.

It would be like saying "rainbows are caused by unicorns" then trying to pretend that you don't believe in unicorns.

"Why I venture in these fields? Because To discover something is making sure no rocks are left un-turned."

But those rocks have been turned and there's nothing there.

"At best like it or not we have 9 billion people on this world with many interpretations for the use of numbers."

LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population

And, since this has absolutely nothing to do with chemistry, could someone move it please.

!

Moderator Note

I have split off all of the numerology and generally nothing-to-do-with-the-OP posts into the trash. Please try and keep this thread on topic.

Also, I wonderaboutthings, let's try and avoid using Uncyclopedia as a reference, shall we?*

*Question is rhetorical. Don't reply to this in the thread.

yIKES, note sure if I should answer " white flag waving here" but my answer is sure..

I will stop referring to Uncyclopedia wink.png

Hopefully Big Nose will tell me how they knew my gender when it is hiddentongue.png

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.