I call Dibs on Ceres...

Moontanman

Building a clear shell around a small planet to hold in an atmosphere seems like a no brainer at first, lots of hydrocarbons in space to make a poly-carbonate shell small robots crawling around on the inside or outside to repair any holes.... "sunbathing on Mercury or jamming on Jupiter which do you prefer "

Daedalus

http://www.space.com/23063-terraforming-planets-shell-worlds.html?cmpid=545402

One day, humans could re-make a world in Earth's image.

Engineering an inhospitable world into a livable one, a process known as terraforming, could be a successful way to colonize another world after a long, interstellar journey, said Ken Roy, an engineer and presenter at last week's Starship Congress in Dallas, Tex.

Roy's terraforming vision hinges upon what he calls "shell worlds." Upon arrival at an ideal planet, humans would literally encase the alien world inside of a protective shell made from Kevlar, dirt and steel.

Building a clear shell around a small planet to hold in an atmosphere seems like a no brainer at first, lots of hydrocarbons in space to make a poly-carbonate shell small robots crawling around on the inside or outside to repair any holes.... "sunbathing on Mercury or jamming on Jupiter which do you prefer "

Daedalus

I call dibs on Ganymede. Can you imagine the view? It would be awesome.

Daedalus

Definitely loved this image:

terraforming-beaches-under-shell.jpg

It is still interest though. However, this is going to be a while before we do this.

I'd rather be on Mars. I think it would be nice to have a bit of gravity. If someone would be really serious about building a dome around a planet to contain an atmosphere, I would advise to start way smaller: a large asteroid (10 km diameter) would already be a huge project.

It's nice to dream though. But I think that articles (and threads) like this are nothing more than dreams.

Definitely loved this image:

terraforming-beaches-under-shell.jpg

It is still interest though. However, this is going to be a while before we do this.

Just for a moment ignore the megatons of polycarbonate it would take to surround Ceres, evolution would take some interesting twists i bet... Butterflys the size of eagles... the possibilities...

• 1 year later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.