Nummulite fossil orientation?

cladking

I'm guessing that nummulites usually fossilize dorsal side down.

Is this correct?

I've found a line in the PT that suggests the stones in the great pyramids were usually inverted so am seeking to falsify the concept.

I've been looking at this for some time as it seems likely that the concepts have been with us a very long time and might even be the origin of "heads" and "tails" for coins. Greek boys used to tar one side of these fossils to play games with them. They make up a significant percentage of the weight of G1.

Since the Mokkatam Eocene limestones of which G1 is largely constructed are not the product of a single environment I should be surprised if there was a single preferred orientation. This paper reports on four basic fabrics, including one with an imbricate structure, where clearly the orientation must be varied.

You might find something of relevance here, though a quick scan turned nothing up.

The emphasis in the literature on their high porosity, low density and the consequence ease with which they can be reworked leads me to conclude a preferential orientation, while possible, is unlikely. Here is a more detailed analysis that may prove useful to you: Hydrodymanic Behaviour of Nummulies: implications for depositional models.

Since the Mokkatam Eocene limestones of which G1 is largely constructed are not the product of a single environment I should be surprised if there was a single preferred orientation. This paper reports on four basic fabrics, including one with an imbricate structure, where clearly the orientation must be varied.

You might find something of relevance here, though a quick scan turned nothing up.

The emphasis in the literature on their high porosity, low density and the consequence ease with which they can be reworked leads me to conclude a preferential orientation, while possible, is unlikely. Here is a more detailed analysis that may prove useful to you: Hydrodymanic Behaviour of Nummulies: implications for depositional models.

Thanks for your time. It is very appreciated.

The links you provide seem to deny the likelyhood of nummulites being consistently oriented in any specific way other than in bedding planes. I was presuming that most of these died in deep water and settled to the bottom in their most aerodynamic orientation; dorsal side down. Apparently this is not normally the case and these are transported to shallower water before assuming their final orientation.

Following the links did lead me to another clue and I'll add anything here if it pans out.