One of my best games in chess

TrappedLight

In the 1st game, if white does 25. Nd2, white is in a pretty good spot. 25. Rd2?? is a blunder of epic proportions (literally since then black has a mate in 1).

Yes that was a blunder.

The line you suggested has a flaw, it leads to winning the queen in a very beautiful combination

1. e4 e5 2. f4 d63. Nf3 f5 4. exf5 Bxf55. fxe5 dxe5 6. Nxe5Qh4+ 7. g3 Qe4+8. Qe2 Qxh1 9. Ng6+Ne7 10. Nxh8 Nd711. d3 O-O-O 12. Be3Nd5 13. Bg5 N7f614. Bxf6 gxf6 15. Nd2Qg1 16. O-O-O Qc517. Nf7 Nb4 18. Nc4Nxa2+ 19. Kb1 Nc3+20. bxc3 Qb5+21. Kc1 Re8 22. Qf3Be6 23. Qxf6 Bxf724. Qxf7 Bh6+ 25. Nd2Qa4 26. Qb3 Qa1+27. Qb1 Bxd2+28. Rxd2 Re1+ 29. Rd1Rxd1+ 30. Kxd1Qxb1+

So even though he blundered with the rook, either line is actually loosing.

I've went and added this line in the link. Just follow it and scroll to the end for the alternative knight version.

Why do you think 26. Qb3 is forced? 26. Kb2 works nicely. White is still strongly ahead, in my opinion, with attacking options. The rook can get to the open a & b files, the knight can leap into action quickly, and the position is open enough the white bishop will wreck havoc too. Black has given too much away in a failed attack. White is now winning, assuming no more mistakes (both sides made plenty, in my opinion). At the very minimum, white can start to force some consolidation and make his extra pawn & extra knight really valuable. White only real worry in that scenario is black's a pawn.

Edited by Bignose

Why do you think 26. Qb3 is forced? 26. Kb2 works nicely.

Why do you think 26. Qb3 is forced? 26. Kb2 works nicely. White is still strongly ahead, in my opinion, with attacking options. The rook can get to the open a & b files, the knight can leap into action quickly, and the position is open enough the white bishop will wreck havoc too. Black has given too much away in a failed attack. White is now winning, assuming no more mistakes (both sides made plenty, in my opinion). At the very minimum, white can start to force some consolidation and make his extra pawn & extra knight really valuable. White only real worry in that scenario is black's a pawn.

I analysed it, yes that can be played and white will be ok in the end. I don't think my play had many mistakes, the only mistake if white can refute it was the sac. That is the only mistake I made in the game.

Edited by TrappedLight

I analysed it, yes that can be played and white will be ok in the end. I don't think my play had many mistakes, the only mistake if white can refute it was the sac. That is the only mistake I made in the game.

Really? The only mistake? I'm not here to hurt any feelings, so I'll just note that I disagree with this assessment, and further note that such self-confidence typically limits further growth. In that, usually an honest assessment of one's abilities leads to quicker growth.

And as an assessor, you clearly aren't perfect. Two posts ago you thought you could force the winning of white's queen; I demonstrated that was wrong.

Again, I am not here to hurt feelings or trash talk or anything else. I am just noting that if you want to get better, I'm suggesting you take a more honest approach evaluating your own play.

''And as an assessor, you clearly aren't perfect. Two posts ago you thought you could force the winning of white's queen;''

Bignose, I have already told you, you were right. Try and be humble about the situation.

And no, I didn't make ''many mistakes.'' What is clear to me is that I should have found a better line than the gambit. No where in my play do I hang my pieces aside from that. My game was well-calculated and led to an exchange variation of the rooks where my position is actually better according to the computer, so I agree with your assessment of the end game, in which I admit then there are better lines than the gambit of the knight.

You missed the devastating 13... Bg4. I would consider that a mistake.

Positionally, I think 14... Nxf6 is stronger than the pawn taking.

15... Qg1 is almost a wasted move. The Queen leaves the strong longest diagonal for what exactly? I'd start my attack on whites queenside.

You may not of 'hung' any pieces, true, but that doesn't mean that there aren't better moves.

Edited by Bignose

You missed the devastating 13... Bg4. I would consider that a mistake.

Positionally, I think 14... Nxf6 is stronger than the pawn taking.

15... Qg1 is almost a wasted move. The Queen leaves the strong longest diagonal for what exactly? I'd start my attack on whites queenside.

You may not of 'hung' any pieces, true, but that doesn't mean that there aren't better moves.

I'm not entirely sure I see that Bg4 is devastating. What response is there to 14. Qe4? I looked at 14... Bf3 15. Qe6, but didn't see much beyond there for why it should be a problem for white. The queen and king are precariously placed, but it seems stable enough to me - the rook can't become a threat and in fact is threatened where it is.

I'm not entirely sure I see that Bg4 is devastating. What response is there to 14. Qe4? I looked at 14... Bf3 15. Qe6, but didn't see much beyond there for why it should be a problem for white. The queen and king are precariously placed, but it seems stable enough to me - the rook can't become a threat and in fact is threatened where it is.

14. Qe4 is replied with Bf3. If the Queen moves again, Qxh2. If White gets too greedy at any point and tries to take the Rook, ... Bc5 is very powerful. ...Bc5 leads to forced mates. White is in all sorts of trouble with both black bishops, the queen, and the knight on d5 ready to support, too. White has a lone bishop that is blocked by the pawn on d3 to try to defend.

If after 14... Bf3, the Queen doesn't move again, then Black ends up well ahead materially.

Someone has been using the computer it looks like. That particular move is favoured by the computer and it does lead to the white queen being in peril.

Or someone used to play a lot of competitive chess -- the move is also favored by the computer because it is a strong move. I will admit, I've enjoyed this thread if only to unearth some of those old skills. I used to be really good positionally, but I had to work very hard to help improve my tactical skills. 13... Bg4 isn't that hard to see tactically, but I again, I will admit that I've had a lot of practice. Averbakh's Chess Tactics was one of the hardest books I've ever read. The first 3 times I tried to read it, I knew it was above my head. It took me several years before my ability was mature enough to actually get something out of the book.

Edited by Bignose

TL, I appreciate the offer, but the reality is that this was the first chess related activity I've done in at least 5 years. I am out of practice, and really wasn't enjoying it anymore. I enjoyed this little blast from the past, but really I just clicked on the link and the thread out of curiosity. I hove other interests that are consuming more of my time these days.

TL, I appreciate the offer, but the reality is that this was the first chess related activity I've done in at least 5 years. I am out of practice, and really wasn't enjoying it anymore. I enjoyed this little blast from the past, but really I just clicked on the link and the thread out of curiosity. I hove other interests that are consuming more of my time these days.

Well, it is completely friendly as all my games are with my opponent, if you change your mind, you know where I am and I know a good site in which we can play.