Why people take pride in pop culture, movies, songs etc?

imdow123

I have noticed that some people take a lot of pride in being aware of pop culture, movies, songs etc. Why is this?

If you have not seen some famous movie, there is sense of ridicule. I don't really understand this. Any explanation?

The majority has been mocking the minorities since... since always?

If you are the outsider in just about any group of people, the rest of the group will either mock you, prosecute you, bully you or ridicule you. If you are the only one drinking juice, while the rest of your friends drink beer, you're a weakling. But if you are the only one drinking beer, while the rest has juice, you will be branded an alcoholic. If you own a car among people without a car, you're a polluter, but if you have no car among people who all have one, you're a tree hugger. The list goes on and on. If you are different than the rest, the majority will surely rub it in.

If you are really tired of being ridiculed, you have 2 options: (1) find other friends who also could not care less about Hollywood or pop culture, or (2) watch that crap.

(Please note, there may be a 3rd, 4th, etc. option, but I want to keep thing simple here).

Also, think deeply now... don't you ever ridicule someone else who is in any way different than you and some other people around you? It is quite likely that you participate in this behavior when you are part of the majority. It's only human.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it only because of being a majority people talk about movies etc.

I find people acting cool when they make some pop culture reference or make a movie quote. I think this has a different reason. Maybe the characters in the film were cool so quoting them makes people feel like they are being cool too.