You Know You Are A Geek When

AtomicMaster

Rules are simple, post a sentence starting with "You know you are a geek when"

For example:

You know you are a geek when you can read a file format off a network capture looking at just hex.

You know you are a geek when you can convert hex to binary to hex more easily than 24 hour time to 12 hour time.

You know you are a geek when you throw a d20 on a skill check to see if you are ok to drive.

Just a few examples for now, i want everyone to have a good go at it before posting more.

(Yes i know this has been done before, i should know, i did it; but it's still a ton of fun, so...)

• 3 weeks later...

You know you're a geek when you have a serious debate on the implausibility of the super powers of comic book heroes.

You know you are a geek when you see the characters on the Big Bang Theory having that debate and want to point out why one of them is wrong.

You know you're a geek when you've assembled your geek code....

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ---
GO d- s+:+ a++ C++ L+++ P+++ L++ E- W++ N+ o K w O M V PS+++ PE+ Y+ PGP+ t+ 5 X++ R+ tv b+ DI++ D+ G+ e+ h-- r++ z++
--- END GEEK CODE BLOCK ---

GO d- s+:+ a++ C++ L+++ P+++ L++ E- W++ N+ o K w O M V PS+++ PE+ Y+ PGP+ t+ 5 X++ R+ tv b+ DI++ D+ G+ e+ h-- r++ z++

*Reads post and instantly bookmarks for later use*

You know you're a geek when you only lose your temper about the big stuff, like the correct way to fold a frikkin' road map and why .7mm lead is for buck-toothed hill people.

My brother puts his 25+ years of happy marriage down to the fact that his wife is a better map-reader and folder than he is - and that he knows this fact!

Guilty as charged

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/AT d-(d+) s+:+ a+ C++++
UA++++ P+++ L+ !E W N? o? !K w
!O M+ V? PS+ PE V+ PGP++ t+ 5++
X+ R+ tv+ b* DI++++ D+ G++ e+++
h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Also, you know you're a geek when you understand the difference between a geek and a nerd and understand why it's important.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Version: 3.1

GJ d+++(--) s: a+ C+(++++) U--- P L+++ E+ W++(---) N+++@ o+++ K+ w---

O- M-- V-- PS++$ PE- Y+$ PGP t--- 5--- X--- R+++@ tv-- b++++ DI- D++

G e++ h r++@ y*>**>$

------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

You know you are a geek when the first thing you do with any new program you install is attach it to a debugger.

You know you are a geek when you are unanimously voted to be the Sheldon of any group of people you appear in... every time...

You know you are a geek when you know the etymology of most keywords in most programming languages.

You know you are a geek when you seriously ponder [Adrian Newey, Richard Stallman, Linus Torvalds, John Carmack, Tim Sweeney, Jeff Bonwick, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Lawrence Krauss, Tejun Heo, Hector Martin, Travis Goodspeed ... ] being a robot. [ probably true, WWIII, WWIII, probably true, probably true, yep, first president of the world, WW[math]-{{\hbar^2}\over{2m}}\nabla^2\Psi+V\Psi=i\hbar{{\delta\Psi}\over{\delta t}}[/math], probably wrote the kernel modules for the Linus robot hardware, would reverse and install homebrew on all of the above robots, would whip-up the hardware and software for the robots one boring afternoon...]

You know you are a geek when the first thing you do with any new program you install is attach it to a debugger.

You know you are a geek when you are unanimously voted to be the Sheldon of any group of people you appear in... every time...

You know you are a geek when you know the etymology of most keywords in most programming languages.

You know you are a geek when you seriously ponder [Adrian Newey, Richard Stallman, Linus Torvalds, John Carmack, Tim Sweeney, Jeff Bonwick, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Lawrence Krauss, Tejun Heo, Hector Martin, Travis Goodspeed ... ] being a robot. [ probably true, WWIII, WWIII, probably true, probably true, yep, first president of the world, WW[math]-{{\hbar^2}\over{2m}}\nabla^2\Psi+V\Psi=i\hbar{{\delta\Psi}\over{\delta t}}[/math], probably wrote the kernel modules for the Linus robot hardware, would reverse and install homebrew on all of the above robots, would whip-up the hardware and software for the robots one boring afternoon...]

Ok, that's where you lost me. lol

• 4 weeks later...