Black holes bend light ???

VultureV1

I hear the extreme gravity of black holes bend light ? Light is massless and F=GMm/3^2 , If m is 0 then the force of attraction is zero right ? so light should not be affected by gravity , I also heard people say that the force of gravity is not dependent on mass but is dependent on momentum and energy , but p = mv , and if m is zero p is zero . Can I haz an explanation ? is there some equation that says gravity is influenced by energy rather than mass ?

I hear the extreme gravity of black holes bend light ? Light is massless and F=GMm/3^2 , If m is 0 then the force of attraction is zero right ? so light should not be affected by gravity , I also heard people say that the force of gravity is not dependent on mass but is dependent on momentum and energy , but p = mv , and if m is zero p is zero . Can I haz an explanation ? is there some equation that says gravity is influenced by energy rather than mass ?

GMm/r^2 (aka Newtonian gravity) is a pre-relativity approximation. In general relativity, which is more advanced and more complete, mass bends space, and light will deflect as a result. All mass does this. This was first confirmed in 1919, by Eddington observing the bending during a solar eclipse.

!

Moderator Note

Hijacking by adreamihavedreamt has been split off (as has the response) to the trash

Please stick to the topic. Advertising a youtube video in another members thread is not acceptable

Do not respond to this modnote

GMm/r^2 (aka Newtonian gravity) is a pre-relativity approximation. In general relativity, which is more advanced and more complete, mass bends space, and light will deflect as a result. All mass does this. This was first confirmed in 1919, by Eddington observing the bending during a solar eclipse.

Wa ? Can you please explain how mass bends space ?

As an analogy, space-time is likened to a rubber sheet that matter is weighing down.

A picture might help.

light_bending.gif

Takes a perspective shift. Like how if you try to go "straight" on the Earth, your path actually turns out to be a circle.

Wa ? Can you please explain how mass bends space ?

Can I explain how it does it? No. Just as I can't explain how mass attracts mass under Newtonian gravity.

But everything behaves as if the geometry of space is curved, rather than flat, in the presence of energy*, of which mass is a form. (*technically it's energy-momentum)

Can I explain how it does it? No. Just as I can't explain how mass attracts mass under Newtonian gravity.

But everything behaves as if the geometry of space is curved, rather than flat, in the presence of energy*, of which mass is a form. (*technically it's energy-momentum)

So , the faster an object is traveling and the heavier it is the more it curves space ?

• 4 months later...