Choices choices

infinitytsg

hello everyone, first time posting here, but I need some advice

I'm currently in Geo/Trig mathematics and Bio/Chem classes ((sophomore)), but I need some advice.

I'm currently able to take a classes level Physics 1 class, and it's a rather large investment of time, so I would like to know.

Would it be good to start with Physics 1 (physics a), then move to b and c physics, then start reading quantum physics books and etc, or would it be better for me to just skip traditional physics and go right into qm books.

I know basic physics stuff, not a ton of equations but I know a decent amount.

Just for added information, I'd love to go into a job that has to do with particle physics, and/or something to do with that. Could someone maybe offer choices that someone who is interested in this type of physics would be good to try and get a job in?

At this point i'm just trying to figure out what to start on to get into a decent college, and from there work on a ph.d in particle physics (i've seen this at some colleges, i'm not sure if it's called ph.d in particle physics though? would it just be a ph.d in physics orrrrr).

Thank you.

Trying to jump into QM without a solid foundation of the underlying classical concepts of both math and physics is likely to be a very bad idea. If you want to take a QM class, I doubt you would be permitted to do so without the prerequisites.

A PhD program would include specialization, so you would indeed end up with a degree in particle physics. At the undergraduate level there would be no such distinction.

• 3 weeks later...

hello everyone, first time posting here, but I need some advice

I'm currently in Geo/Trig mathematics and Bio/Chem classes ((sophomore)), but I need some advice.

I'm currently able to take a classes level Physics 1 class, and it's a rather large investment of time, so I would like to know.

Would it be good to start with Physics 1 (physics a), then move to b and c physics, then start reading quantum physics books and etc, or would it be better for me to just skip traditional physics and go right into qm books.

I know basic physics stuff, not a ton of equations but I know a decent amount.

Just for added information, I'd love to go into a job that has to do with particle physics, and/or something to do with that. Could someone maybe offer choices that someone who is interested in this type of physics would be good to try and get a job in?

At this point i'm just trying to figure out what to start on to get into a decent college, and from there work on a ph.d in particle physics (i've seen this at some colleges, i'm not sure if it's called ph.d in particle physics though? would it just be a ph.d in physics orrrrr).

Thank you.

I wouldn't skip traditional physics. It's good to build a solid understanding and foundation. We can't run until we learn how to walk, so my advice would be to not skip. :D Good luck to you with your studies!