word puzzle!

dan19_83

A point for Ducky Havoc!

In this thread the score is

Dan19_83 2 (sequence 3,3,5,4; sequence 2,5,28)

Dan's friend 1 (weird arithmetic problem)

Ducky Havoc 1 (octal sequence)

Jdurg 2 (periodic table problem, word problem. ans: under)

Newtonian 1 (word problem. ans: star)

In the other thread Jdurg 2 and Deified 1 (they each got a point for Black to White and Jdurg solved a combinatorial math problem)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I believe that i'm the winner of this thread because the two puzzles I solved were both number problems, which everyone knows are much tougher than word problems jdurg!! :P

Oh, really? Well, try solving this one:

ABOLITIONISM is an anagram of what 12 letter word?

:D

P.S. I don't want to put you on the spot, so I'll be the first to admit that I couldn't get it.

Try this out! Took me a whole 50 minutes!

Take the list of words below and arrange them into 3 sentences that all have something in common. Each word is only used once each time they appear in the list. ('A' can be used 4 times as it's in the list 4 times.) Punctuation is not an issue in this teaser.

A, A, A, A, ANIMALS, BAR, BAT, DAN, DROOP, I, I, IN, IN, IS, IT, NET, OR, POOR, SAW, SLAM, TEN, WAS

What are the sentences and what do they have in common?

Mobilisation? I think I spelt that right... yup! I just grabbed a dictionary and checked, it means to make movable, to put into motion.

I'm impressed. :) Are you good at solving in anagrams in particular? I personally can't do them well at all. I think there may be a system involved in solving them, I'm not sure.

ok. when i said that number puzzles were much more difficult that word puzzles, of course what I actually mean't was I was good at number puzzles and crap at word ones!!

these are some good word puzzles though, can't believe somone actually got that three sentences one, wow!!

carbon. a stair case line on the table stands for metaloids. i'm not looking at the table but all but carbon are on the right? side.

i may be wrong about this. never mind

Arsenic

Silicon

Xenon

Carbon

Boron

Yo quick silver! welcome. better luck next time. why dont you bring a word puzzle too?

I say better luck next time because I THINK this was already answered earlier in the thread by someone.

the idea of the puzzle was more dumb, or non-technical. it really is a "WORD" (or word-and-symbol) puzzle and not a chem problem.

If I remember right the exception in this list you posted would be Boron because you cant write it as a string of elements symbols

like Carbon can be written

C Ar B O N

and Silicon can be written

Si Li Co N

please check me on this, I could be wrong, but I think Boron can't, because there is no element with symbol R, or Ro

Your right there Martin alright.

I second your motion on quick sliver posting some puzzles, if he has some. I enjoy puzzles, both word and number, and I think there is a severe lack of them on this site at the moment.

I'm more of a solver of puzzles rather than a thinker of puzzles!!

... I enjoy puzzles' date=' both word and number, and I think there is a severe lack of them on this site at the moment.

...[/quote']

well dont go looking on the web for this because it will just spoil it, since i didnt make it up and it is probably possible to dig up with google, here it is.

there is just this series of naughts and ones and you have to guess the next 4 or 5 or 6-----you cant just guess the next numeral, whether it is a one or a naught, you have to figure out the pattern or the progression so that you can say the next several

if you cant see the pattern from that, tell me, and I will supply the next five numerals

I'm guessing that the series has to do with the number of 0's and 1's in series

i.e. one 1, followed by one 0, followed by three 1's, followed by1 0, followed by five 1's.......etc???

still stumped though so could you provide the next few numerals?

well dont go looking on the web for this because it will just spoil it' date=' since i didnt make it up and it is probably possible to dig up with google, here it is.

there is just this series of naughts and ones and you have to guess the next 4 or 5 or 6-----you cant just guess the next numeral, whether it is a one or a naught, you have to figure out the pattern or the progression so that you can say the next several

if you cant see the pattern from that, tell me, and I will supply the next five numerals[/quote']

Here is the sequence I originally posted, with the next 5 numerals in parenthesis:

1011101111101111011000110011(10111)

so removing the parenthesis, the new series is

tell me if you want the next 5 numerals

that goes for anyone else, trying to understand the sequence

OMG. I lost count of where I was at least 20 times before I got this answer. Well, here is what I THINK is the answer.

[hide]11101

Well, the first impulse is binary. That was mine. So I started on changing the entire sequence to binary, didn't work. Came out gibberish, 197 mil or sommat.

So then I started to wonder why only 5 more digits. So I fed the number in brackets into my calculator, turned to decimal, which was 23.

23 is a funky number, very odd. It is an odd number, indeed, and a prime number. And 1 digit difference between tens and ones.

Prime numbers have shown up a lot, so I started to keep in mind that 23 is one too. Next, I realized that it needed another 5 digits, which means the 5 in front of it, 23, have some stories. So I began to wonder, does the 5 digits before 10111 (23) have similar properties as well? I tested it, which was 10011. I fed it in, and it was 19 decimal. Also a prime number.

So I tried the 5 digits before that. 10001, which was 17. Another prime number.

But then, something weird happened. The 5 before made 19. The sequence isn't going well. But I was almost sure I got it. So I started to try something else.

Then, something good happened. As I pasted the numbers into Notepad, I decided to try again with the digits 11101 (29). I held down Shift and left arrow, but for some reason (frustration maybe?) I pressed too fast without counting. I copied and pasted what I thought was 5 numbers into the calculator, and when I finished, I realized I had gotten only 4 numbers. 1101. I still pressed the decimal button, and what came out was 13. In the sequence too! Prime number. It was perfect.

So, for the next number I used 4 numbers before, getting 1011, which is, of course, 11. But then the 4 before that didn't work again, so I tried 3 numbers. 111. It worked, and got 7. And the number before that was 101, and I got 5. Then, before 101, I used 2 numbers(11), getting the grip of this sequence, and got the decimal 3. And finally, I used the first two numbers, 10, to get 2. So the sequence is: 2,3,5,7,11,13,17,19,23. A series of prime numbers from least going greater. So of course, the next number is 29. Which came out in binary as 11101.

Is that correct? I DO think that is.[/hide]

Is that right?

• 3 months later...