How Did Quantum Fluctuation Cause the Big Bang?

MclarenP1

Please can you help me with this? I think that I understand the basics of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, however don't know how the fluctuations that cause matter to appear, appear themselves. I do understand that users who comment on this thread mustn't give me the answer, however I would appreciate it if you could direct me towards the correct websites. Thanks in advance; it's for a debate on Monday, so replying soon would be great!

Edited by Phi for All
I hope this is OK with you!

Well, it's stupid really; it's a debate in R.E. lessons and people make a joke of always turning to me for a scientific explanation. I'm only fifteen, and I'm not even that smart. Anyway, since the cause of the Big Bang is still debated, and also because my best friend and I always take opposing sides as part of a friendly bit of competiton, I came out with quantum fluctuation as an answer, which I read in New Scientist ages ago.

Not that you'd be particularly interested, but we've been split into sub-groups with a designated leader and an autonomously-chosen topic. And now I'm expected to say something about quantum fluctuation- something that I don't really understand.

All that I need is a simple explanation of the process- that's if cutting-edge science really can be distilled into something that even fiteen-year-olds can understand. Once again, thanks for all of your replies! :)

Well you have two theories you are wanting to work together. While I wont give you the answer, what research is for. I will give you a hint. Super massive and Super small. Now how can you get both of those together? smile.png I would recommend reading up on String Theory. As well as the Theory of Everything. Should give you the bumps you need to overcome your opponent.