Autism > corpus callosum > improvement in decision making

Recent professional studies (*) have shown that autism may be linked to a shortage of connections of the corpus callosum,

as the communication bridge between L and R hemispere.

This makes good sense if you know something about autism and the corpus callosum in the brain.

(*) Autism and the corpus callosum : research / links :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21489396

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23054201

http://sfari.org/news-and-opinion/ne...ts-into-autism

Remark :

Building on that i had the following idea (an idea, imagining the future, not scientific proof of course) :

Some time in the future, science and technology would be able to enhance this corpus callosum to make us wiser.

Wisdom as weighing balancedly between the the left and right brain halves to make a better judgement, more pro-group^instead of pro-individual. So not just to improve the life of autists.

Elaborating on that it struck me that this might also happen naturally in our evolution to come.

From survival of the fittest, to the current survival of the most intelligent (accompanied with the known additions in the brain),

towards survival of the most wise (accompanied by adaptations of the corpus callosum) in the generations to come.

As wise decisions are desperately needed to put today's world on the right track towards a coherent future, a necessity for the continuation of our species in the log run.

If i were to be called a crank for such an idea, then i would were that title proudly,),).

Edited by Orobouros

• 4 weeks later...

A friend of mine suffers from a degree of autism. I have often seen him defend it as a simple, mundane trait which even bares some advantages (or else, it would have been stamped out long ago, he points out), you know, the neurodiversity stuff. But since I have yet to see any strong evidence that autism is genetic, and since I certainly don't believe that in the majority of cases it does more good than harm, I am inclined to dismiss this. Autism is a mental disease. It throws a cap on the social capacities of the person - not exactly a good trait when you're an ape, no less a human. Though sometimes providing an advantage in certain areas of learning, it pretty much destroys the ability to communicate, and normally serves as a learning disability in general. The effects are sudden, rather than incremental (Can anyone tell me if traits actually show up this way in evolution? As I understand it, most changes come about extremely slowly. Is the exception perhaps when an entirely new gene shows up in an individual?). The lineages show no clear pattern; there is no 'house of autism' or 'autistic race'. Autism is a disease, sometimes a very tragic one. I do not believe that it was ever going to take us anywhere.

I'd also like to point out that, though I agree that greater mental capacity, especially multiple-factor consideration, would benefit the political and social future of the world, the gene pool is unfortunately and currently inhibited by our sexual selection tendencies. Generally speaking, women are attracted to muscular, confident, charismatic and powerful men, whilst me are attracted to slender, elegant, submissive women. Special emphasis on the generally speaking part.