anti-virus recommendation

fresh

i have been using Norton for years. what antivirus are you using ?

i consider switching to Kaspersky. Hope it may be better than Norton.

How do you think ?

it would be better to get a free high quality antivirus from internet..but i dont expect it too much. No free lunch, right ?

I find it offers decent protection without bogging down my system.

Choosing an AV product is fairly subjective. I've generally found that the top ones are about the same in terms of protection and the rest just comes down to personal preference.

Here's a site with more objective comparisons: http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-xp/marapr-2013/

Edited by Endy0816

Avast, AVG, and Avira are the most widely recommended free anti-virus program. Choice depends partly on features.

I have two computers. On one I have AVG and on the other (old) I have Avast.

Features of interest (to me) in free versions:

E-mail check, AVG and Avast

Scheduled sweep, AVG and Avira

Avira has one annoyance - daily message asking you to upgrade to pay version.

I like the free version of Avast myself.

The company uses free users to alert them to coming threats so it is a fair trade.

http://www.avast.com/int-30-60-is-trial

why credit card needed ? it is NOT free.....

"At the end of the 60-day free trial period, your credit card or PayPal account will be billed automatically unless you have canceled during that 60-day period. Price after the trial period is $29.99 for 12-months of protection for 1 PC (with 40% discount applied)."

http://www.avast.com/int-30-60-is-trial

why credit card needed ? it is NOT free.....

"At the end of the 60-day free trial period, your credit card or PayPal account will be billed automatically unless you have canceled during that 60-day period. Price after the trial period is $29.99 for 12-months of protection for 1 PC (with 40% discount applied)."

That will be a trial of their full version and not the free one.

• 2 months later...

There are many Linux kernel OS's available, for free. I'm not sure why, but Linux systems are considered pretty virus proof. When I ran windows it was always getting blown up by malware and whatnot. I use Ubuntu now, no third party virus protection, been working great. Sometimes my Chrome settings get changed, but that's easy to fix.

The free Avast is great. I got Norton loaded free on my newest laptop, and I'll be removing that and installing Avast.

Just me personally, but I would avoid Trend Micro Security. I had that installed on a work machine and couldn't uninstall it completely. There was always little prompts telling me I was out-of-date even after being uninstalled. And they pretend not to understand when you complain about it.

Apple's Unix-based OS is a different beast to PC so I'm not sure AV's are the best route...it might even compromise it and mess it up.The best thing to do is Google the online security advice and apps associated with your bank. Here's bit of general advice:

Never respond directly from your email client to any request purporting to come from you bank ,,,always go and login to your bank account your usual way and check or execute requests from them there...if they are there. Never click on any links purporting to come from them that claim to take you to your account or anything else...always go your usual route and check if it's true. If you can, have a wired connection to your router for your banking pc or at least make sure it's WPA2-PSK standard wireless encryption and have a very strong password. Your bank will never request personal or password details via email. In the address bar the address will start https//www.bankname.com...note the extra 's' in https...this means it's a secure connection and if it's not there, stop. It could be a spoofed site.

Edited by StringJunky

As far as i know, Norton is not free, whereas Avast is free and great, how can Avast producer make money from it ?

Norton has a free 30 day trial on many new computers. They figure you'll be too lazy to unsubscribe, so your purchase will happen if you DON'T do anything.

Avast and others offer free versions that only offer the basics. They figure it's best to stay in front of you, protecting you minimally, so that if you decide you need something more robust you don't have far to look. Avast makes money from ads as well as upgrades to their free protection.

Apple Is not PC so it's not subject to the same level of paranoia...it is a an inherently safer system like Linux.

Is this really the case, or is it because the hackers simply have more of a market with Windows machines? I'm not sure about Linux, but I remember reading once that Apple is safer simply because it's not as prolific a target.

Honestly, i regret buying Apple desktop, for its OS is not user friendly for me and my parents.

how come people are so crazy for apple products ?

User-friendly is usually what Apple is all about, that and connectivity between their products. I always found Apple's OS to be much more intuitive and less clunky than DOS-based Windows, but I haven't had any Apple products for quite a while. Perhaps the best part about Apple is their support, at least in the US. They have genius bars where you can go to ask any question about any of their products any time. They teach you how to use their products for free in a hands-on approach I find pretty refreshing.

fresh, on 16 Dec 2013 - 3:52 PM, said:

Honestly, i regret buying Apple desktop, for its OS is not user friendly for me and my parents.

how come people are so crazy for apple products ?

They are hip, cool and expensive.

Is this really the case, or is it because the hackers simply have more of a market with Windows machines? I'm not sure about Linux, but I remember reading once that Apple is safer simply because it's not as prolific a target.

I've just been reading that a consultant for Sophos uses AV's on his home Macs so that probably answers that. It's really more down to safe practices by the consumer than software ultimately.