Who the hell has laid these damn eggs?

samsin

Well, we've a mini garden in our terrace. Today, when the man who takes care of the terrace-garden was cleaning the soil in a tub of Allamanda, he got some white egg-like stuff. These eggs were quite small, having almost equal length(of half a thumb). They were 8-9 in number. We broke one of them and found the inner-area to be exactly like an egg. The stuff was hot. The astounding thing is that it was found inside the soil part of tub, I emphasize : inside the soil-part. I don't think a bird will dig such deep in the soil to lay eggs. Is it a work of the snakes? I suspect, one might have entered the tub from the hole under it and laid the damn eggs. Can you please put some light?

DSCN6148_zps5d845fe7.jpg

DSCN6149_zpsc5a180b4.jpgDSCN6153_zpsaca7b673.jpgDSCN6157_zpsef705b22.jpgDSCN6158_zps4c007088.jpg

DSCN6161_zps20d9c183.jpgDSCN6160_zps134d5cee.jpg

N.B. : DON'T GET CONFUSED BY THE SIZE. THEY'RE JUST HALF A THUMB IN SIZE. THE ZOOMING IS MAKING THEM SEEM LARGER THAN THEY ARE.

Thanks a lot for helping !!

DON'T GET CONFUSED BY THE SIZE. THEY'RE JUST HALF A THUMB IN SIZE. THE ZOOMING IS MAKING THEM SEEM LARGER THAN THEY ARE.

Next time, put something commonly known next to the eggs, like a coin, to show a size comparison. Even better, put a ruler next to the eggs before taking the picture. Half a thumb? Whose thumb are we using here?

One of the pictures shows an ant next to the eggs, which gives some perspective, and I would have to agree with others that these are probably snake eggs.

Most likely lizard or snake eggs, I've hatched a lot of both and these look a bit more like lizard eggs than snakes, turtle eggs are usually more spherical...

Too bad you can't teleport them to me, I'd love to hatch them...

You hatch them? That's quite funny. Well, I am coming at one with the opinion that it was a snake.

Is the brown coloration from dirt or intrinsic to the shell? Is the shell hard, like a bird egg?

Assuming non-bird shells but intrinsic coloration: According to the various intertube, of the four or five realistically dangerous snakes that might be expected on a terrace anywhere in India only two or three (the two big cobras and a krait) lay their eggs, the eggs are white, and none apparently burrow.

The krait is apparently a bit too small for what is pictured, the breeding size cobras apparently are too big (normally lots of eggs), and they all normally nest otherwise anyway.

There are many burrowing snakes in various parts of India that might match, but I cannot find photos of thier eggs. Mottled eggs laid underground seem a bit strange - one imagines they are distinctive.

So the most likely, probable, verdict - even if they aren't lilzard eggs, which I agree with others they more resemble, or bird eggs which is not impossible - is that they belong to an animal that would be very useful in keeping rodents and other vermin out of your house and terrace at little cost or risk to yourself; in fact, apparently has been doing so for some time without even disturbing your awareness.

Edited by overtone