Boric acid and sodium bicarbonate?

EdEarl

If you boil it.

Boric acid is a very weak acid but the reaction can be driven towards the production of CO2 by removing the gas as it's formed.

Why do you ask?

There are fewer voids in cellulose insulation than plastic foams, and R-values of cellulose is consequently less than foam. Boric acid and borax are used to make cellulose insulation mold and mildew resistant. I wondered why soda wasn't added to make small interior voids. Now I know. TYVM

• 2 years later...

boric acid is a weak, monobasic acid often used as an flame retardant or precursor to other chemical compounds. Sodium bicarbonate is a chemical compound with the formula NaHCO, it is a salt composed of sodium ions & bicarbonate ions.

• 3 weeks later...

Does a solution of boric acid and sodium bicarbonate yield CO2?

Yes.

I just used boric acid and sodium bicarbonate and bubbles of CO2 are instantly visible. Room temperature 25.7 C.

Attached photo, taken a few seconds after mixing compounds:

post-100882-0-78858100-1466516806.png

Edited by Sensei

H3BO3+NaHCO3= CO2 - NaBO3 - H2O ?? Did I do that right?

No, it's not even balanced.

Quantity of elements, from left side of equation, must match the one on the right side.

If you have f.e. 4H on the left there must be 4H on the right also.

Also you should not use =, but ->

and should not use -, but +

No, it's not even balanced.

Quantity of elements, from left side of equation, must match the one on the right side.

If you have f.e. 4H on the left there must be 4H on the right also.

Also you should not use =, but ->

and should not use -, but +

Additionally, it's Na3BO3, not NaBO3

Oh im just an amateur :wacko:

• 1 year later...

Hi, everyone

Just mixed boric acid and baking soda, added water and was fizzing right away. Don't know if I produced CO2 or not, submerged my hands where I have recurring cuts on big thumbs and used it as a wash also,  on my big toes. Hope it will help heal my cuts. Will produce another solution,  where will add boric acid to water, then the base, as don't want any explosion in the house. Have all antibiotics, hydrocortison you name it, wounds keep coming back. It healed, then went to salon and had shellac manicure, that technician kept clawing my big thumbs and wrap my nails in soaked acetone, have a nice manicure now and big thumbs wounds back. Help!!

17 hours ago, ChemistryNovice said:

Hi, everyone

Just mixed boric acid and baking soda, added water and was fizzing right away. Don't know if I produced CO2 or not, submerged my hands where I have recurring cuts on big thumbs and used it as a wash also,  on my big toes. Hope it will help heal my cuts. Will produce another solution,  where will add boric acid to water, then the base, as don't want any explosion in the house. Have all antibiotics, hydrocortison you name it, wounds keep coming back. It healed, then went to salon and had shellac manicure, that technician kept clawing my big thumbs and wrap my nails in soaked acetone, have a nice manicure now and big thumbs wounds back. Help!!

See a doctor. This isn't a place for seeking medical advice.