What would this be?

Amaton

I'm aware that many members of this forum are non-religious (and atheistic to a greater depth). Generally, this group regards religion as uncorroborated claims and silly rituals. However, I had a thought, and so I ask, is it possible (from the secularist view) for there to be a reasonable religion? And can / will people like us willingly take part in it?

Let's say an alien species makes contact with us, one that is relatively advanced both biologically and technologically; they are incredibly capable beings. The species intends no hostility or invasive harm, but it does hold some desire of sovereignty. They give us advanced technology, essential resources, longevity, and protection.

Now, imagine if this species arrived at a time of great human hardship and turmoil: lack of resources, war, global famine, suffering. And now, these almost supernatural beings have become our salvation. A "cult of the personality" like image has come to fruition in humanity's collective mentality, as we worship in wonder and thanksgiving to our superiors. Even rationalists and former secularists are enthralled in their almost-supernatural semblance. The masses gather at localized congregations to give thanks and praise to their ubiquitous image. We build monuments to them. Worship becomes a central aspect of our lives; etc.

So I ask, would one consider this religion? If most of society understands that these beings are not above the laws of nature, and that they are simply very progressed technologically, then in intention we are not worshiping gods, per se. There is no doubt to evidence and rational skepticism, as is the problem with today's major religions. However, in this scenario, humanity is essentially idolizing them in ritualistic veneration, just as devout adherents to a faith would: bowing down, giving thanks, venerating symbols and images, etc. One might argue that this is more similar to a "cult" rather than a religion, with the major exception of it being generalized to the general masses. What do you think?

Edited by Amaton

Well, it depends on your definition of religion.

Most would say that it involves the supernatural so "almost supernatural" pretty much rules it out.

​Also there would be evidence for these aliens and most religion is based on faith- pretty much by definition so. as I see it, no, that's not a religion.

As clearly shown above.... Many things are not only taken on faith... But are defended with such religious devotion that we must silence any who point out that one supernatural explanation isn't inherently more logical than another supernatural explanation.

Asking the question of our origin is a religious question. No explanation satisfies the requirement to define it as something other than faith.

To no one in particular... I can see why this inquiry might seem a bit unnecessary, but I'm trying to show and discuss the blurriness in terminology concerning belief systems and practices.

Well, it depends on your definition of religion.

Most would say that it involves the supernatural so "almost supernatural" pretty much rules it out.

​Also there would be evidence for these aliens and most religion is based on faith- pretty much by definition so. as I see it, no, that's not a religion.

So what would you call it? :)

Were I to meet an advanced race of aliens who had technology beyond human understanding... I'd appreciate it, try to learn what I could, and try to see if there was anything I could teach to make the benefits mutual. Just as if a modern American went to some remote tribe somewhere and showed them technology they never imagined.... The locals may appreciate it, but would be unlikely to form a religion around it.

I wouldn't call it "religion" until it became a matter of both faith and devotion. Something to model one's life around. If it became a matter of "enlightenment" rather than simply learning about new trinkets we haven't thought of yet.

... although anything can be turned into a religion. Everyone knows Star Wars is fake... but there's enough lore behind Jedi culture that people have formed it into a recognized religion. There is no "Force," nor do people think the movies are real... but they take seriously the philosophies invented in that fantasy world.

Other people turn sports into a religion. It has nothing to do with faith or supreme powers... but they take a hobby, pass the level of addiction and obsession... and start basing their life around their chosen game.

Were I to meet an advanced race of aliens who had technology beyond human understanding... I'd appreciate it, try to learn what I could, and try to see if there was anything I could teach to make the benefits mutual. Just as if a modern American went to some remote tribe somewhere and showed them technology they never imagined.... The locals may appreciate it, but would be unlikely to form a religion around it.

You clearly have never heard of the Cargo Cults. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

I find myself unable to relate to the OP premises. If aliens arrive as described my thought would be "What are these bastards really up to." Far from worshipping them my inclination would be to investigate and interrogate them.