Clean energy and waste management

luissedas

This one is a bit off the wall, but after reading about this study in Science Daily, it became clear that if we could implement some kind of system or law that required people NOT to follow other cars so closely, it would lead to much fewer traffic snarls, meaning less time on the road in your car adding to greenhouse gasses. I would start with a PSA campaign, explaining the problem, and try to alter behavior. I'm not sure about some kind of mechanical solution; I could see where proximity sensors controlling how close you are to other cars being used, but there are LOTS of technical problems with that approach.

Globally, I'd love to see a space-based solar array project start ASAP to work alongside our efforts at wireless power transmission. I think the knowledge of solar power technology we would acquire on such an enormous, global effort would be impressive. It would also raise awareness of the growing problem of space debris in orbit as satellites collide with other stuff, creating more and more damaged pieces of equipment that no one can identify who is responsible for.

I liked the first paragraph - I would suggest to equip cars with proximity sensors that record our behavior (how close we drive). Then after, this record is to be used as an input to insurance companies to charge us the car insurance. I think this would help solve the problem.

The second paragraph seems less charming - Space-based solar arrays do not seem very green to me. It takes too much chemical fuel to place it into orbit... Also, some people could notice that harvesting energy in space and transferring it to earth would add to global warming.

Solar PV and windmills can provide all the energy we need, energy storage technology is now adequate; although, installing enough PV, windmill and storage is a huge infrastructure project. Tesla Motors has demonstrated electric cars are viable; thus, the technologies for greening the Earth are ready, and additional improvements will no doubt be invented. These things are required to control the climate.

Waste management has improved some over the past few decades, but recycling things that end up in the environment, carelessly thrown away, is difficult. Today, volunteers often spend a few hours cleaning up a beach, park, river bank, etc., but current technology cannot help. As robots become less expensive they will be used to clean the environment.

Utility companies are responsible for the power infrastructure, and must develop green energy solutions and the power infrastructure. Governments can encourage green energy solutions with regulations, laws and incentives. But, most importantly, voters need to cast their ballot for green politicians.

• 9 months later...

It is necessary to increase the efficiency of solar cells. They must capture and infrared radiation. :cool:

That's a bandgap issue for solar cells, so that may be an unreasonable expectation. Even if you found a material that extended into the IR, you would also have to consider cost and robustness.

It is necessary to increase the efficiency of solar cells. They must capture and infrared radiation. :cool:

Why do you think it is necessary to increase the efficiency of solar cells. I agree it would be a good thing, but why a necessity?

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if any of you could tell me some o your ideas about climate change related with clean energy and waste manegement, and also a way in what you think, this problems could be solve in differents levels (community, country, world)

My wife and I have lived in Los Angeles for 88 years, breathing so-called contaminated air, and are still healthy, evidence that the clean air fanitics warning is overblown.

What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO.” John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

• 3 weeks later...

Our society has become ttoo dependant on cheap power which fossil fuels provide. The electrical based alternative uses existing infrasructure, but, does not provide a reliable supply or the required energy density to supply industry, when generated by wind or solar panels. When generated by fission reactors or burning fossil fuels, it defeats the purpose, since fission creates undisposable by-products and fossil fuel burning adds another inefficiency to the process which we are trying to get rid of in the first place.

What we need is increased resarch into clen fusion energy generation. Instead of going to the sun to get our energy to convert to electricity, we bring the sun to the earth as the generator. That is the only option going foreward as a species, but don't get me wrong, wind or solar panels can be used as limited ( household ? ) generators for a start or an option.

I was wondering if any of you could tell me some o your ideas about climate change related with clean energy and waste manegement, and also a way in what you think, this problems could be solve in differents levels (community, country, world)

f.e.

- make all containers for food with bail, so majority of them won't end up in trash, but producer who made them (and knows exactly what is it made of).

- recommend using glass for containers (so it'll simplify reusing).

- make public transport ticket free, so people will leave car at home and use bus/train. One bus is equal to 1 km of two passes road full of cars. Calculate fuel burned by them..

- entirely switch to using solar panels. Government could create public company with the only aim- invent efficient, produce and install solar panels on roofs or walls of the all citizen homes for free. Unlike private companies, public company don't need to make money by selling goods.

My wife and I have lived in Los Angeles for 88 years, breathing so-called contaminated air, and are still healthy, evidence that the clean air fanitics warning is overblown.

Or that they've been doing a fantastic job. LA smog was legendary thirty years ago. Here's an article from 1995 talking about how much better it got, and today California has some of the best emissions standards around.

I'm so glad nobody listened to warnings that the clean air fanatics warnings were overblown.

Re-use waste energy. A third of our food is wasted each day so they can be put to use as compost piles. You would be surprised to find out how much energy is provided by a compost pile. Heating water would be much more efficient economically and also better for the environment.

A friend and I are trying to create a project where compost energy can be used for desalination. We are looking for other's insight into this. Please feel free to comment!

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/85119-desalination-powered-by-compost-energy/

• 9 months later...

Compost temperatures are known to actually cause ignition under the correct conditions, if I recall correctly. Alligators in these parts use the principle to incubate their eggs, if they can turn it to advantage, why shouldn't we?

I wish you continued success.

I liked the first paragraph - I would suggest to equip cars with proximity sensors that record our behavior (how close we drive). Then after, this record is to be used as an input to insurance companies to charge us the car insurance. I think this would help solve the problem.

The second paragraph seems less charming - Space-based solar arrays do not seem very green to me. It takes too much chemical fuel to place it into orbit... Also, some people could notice that harvesting energy in space and transferring it to earth would add to global warming.

Not if that sunlight would fall upon the planet ordinarily. The chemical fuel of choice for rockets is liquid hydrogen and the oxidizer for same, liquid oxygen. Their end product is water vapor. Very expensive but benign.

Rockets are neither the only nor the best means of getting into space.

Does anyone know what this fallacy is called?

You know the sort of thing: "My grandmother smoked 100 cigarettes a day since she was 3 years old and lived to 120 so it is obviously not true that smoking causes cancer".

Does anyone know what this fallacy is called?

You know the sort of thing: "My grandmother smoked 100 cigarettes a day since she was 3 years old and lived to 120 so it is obviously not true that smoking causes cancer".

Argument by Anecdote.