Mother's response on Facebook, to her son ''coming out''

Deidre

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/mothers-amazing-response-son-came-facebook-154700421.html

What are your thoughts to this story? Should we be bowled over with cheer that this mother 'still' loves her son unconditionally? When will we get to a point in our society that being gay is acceptable, and kids/adults don't need to 'fear' coming out?

If this is not the appropriate spot to post this, please relocate it.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/mothers-amazing-response-son-came-facebook-154700421.html

What are your thoughts to this story? Should we be bowled over with cheer that this mother 'still' loves her son unconditionally? When will we get to a point in our society that being gay is acceptable, and kids/adults don't need to 'fear' coming out?

If this is not the appropriate spot to post this, please relocate it.

That's an awesome note. I think people must like the... yeah, you're gay, I love you, it doesn't define you... now clean your room... attitude of it. If more politicians had that attitude I think we'd be alright.

I like your "beauty" of an avatar, by the way.

It's quite sweet, and will ensure that mother and son have a good relation for a long time. But since I'm living in a country where being gay is considered quite normal, and will hardly raise an eyebrow. I don't really think this is newsworthy.

p.s. I moved it back to Ethics.

in reply to Iggy: Yes, the mom's response was great but it's not newsworthy. My other thought was too, must we share every thought and moment on Facebook?

Makes me wonder why was this newsworthy? Are we still in a day and age when parents reactions would be other than this mother's?

That's an awesome note. I think people must like the... yeah, you're gay, I love you, it doesn't define you... now clean your room... attitude of it. If more politicians had that attitude I think we'd be alright.

In reply to CaptainPanic: I see your point but at the same time I think it's odd that a mother showing love and acceptance to her own kid as being news worthy is just strange to me. Oh well.

I like your "beauty" of an avatar, by the way.

Thank you, I'm thinking of getting it as a tattoo soon. smile.png

Edited by Deidre

It is not strange that the mother replied on Facebook. Facebook posts are meant for a relatively small group of people - if your settings/preferences have locked your Facebook down.

But it is weird that someone else at Yahoo found it necessary to write an article about it. This was not the family's choice, as shows this quote from the article:

[...]

McClain and Gibson did not return Yahoo Shine's emails for comment

[...]

FB has never been my thing, and I feel we should be at a point in our society where homosexuality should be much better understood and tolerated. Fear and ignorance still drive too many people's actions.

FB is just too shallow for me. It shows how little people read for comprehension and are simply looking for the least lengthy sound bytes to convey their opinions on complex issues.

Thank you, I'm thinking of getting it as a tattoo soon. smile.png

Ironic and redundant: scarring your beautiful body with a symbol for beauty. frown.gif [/personal off-topic opinion]

Ironic and redundant: scarring your beautiful body with a symbol for beauty. frown.gif

"The only difference between a tattooed person and a person who isn't tattooed is that a tattooed person doesn't care if you're tattooed or not." :P:)

It is not strange that the mother replied on Facebook. Facebook posts are meant for a relatively small group of people - if your settings/preferences have locked your Facebook down.

But it is weird that someone else at Yahoo found it necessary to write an article about it. This was not the family's choice, as shows this quote from the article:

The problem with FB, is it causes people to feel forced to reply. Maybe the mother didn't want to, but she felt ...if I don't...people will judge me...if I do...people will judge me. She couldn't win. lol I don't like FB because it creates a lot of unncessary drama ...but maybe some people like drama.

FB has never been my thing, and I feel we should be at a point in our society where homosexuality should be much better understood and tolerated. Fear and ignorance still drive too many people's actions.

FB is just too shallow for me. It shows how little people read for comprehension and are simply looking for the least lengthy sound bytes to convey their opinions on complex issues.

Ironic and redundant: scarring your beautiful body with a symbol for beauty. frown.gif [/personal off-topic opinion]

FB isn't my thing anymore, either. I don't use it all that much. And thank you for your vote, against me getting a tat. It's been noted. :P I don't have any tattoos, currently.

I thought the note was sweet as well, but it was a bad ideat to make the note public on facebook. Her son should decide how and to whom he wants to come out.

I somewhat agree. But like I said above, if she didn't say anything...maybe people would have judged her. But, we have to do what we wish, not what we think people on FB think we should do. That's the problem with social media, it sort of becomes more important to some people than living their own lives. :(

"The only difference between a tattooed person and a person who isn't tattooed is that a tattooed person doesn't care if you're tattooed or not." tongue.pngsmile.png

that's true. :D

Uh, but if a non-tattooed person does not care, does it make him/her tattooed?

that's true too. :o

I somewhat agree. But like I said above, if she didn't say anything...maybe people would have judged her. But, we have to do what we wish, not what we think people on FB think we should do. That's the problem with social media, it sort of becomes more important to some people than living their own lives. sad.png

I get a little creeped out when I go to FB to wish someone a Happy Birthday and suddenly see all these people "liking" my greeting. Bunch of stalkers waiting for something interesting to happen to someone else. It reminds me of the folks who are always taking pictures of all the fun stuff instead of putting the camera down and participating.

"The only difference between a tattooed person and a person who isn't tattooed is that a tattooed person doesn't care if you're tattooed or not." tongue.pngsmile.png

And I don't care once they are a tattooed person. But a non-tattooed person getting their first? Curse me for a purist but I love the look of flesh au natural and don't think it needs any further adornment.

To me, human skin isn't a canvas, it's the work of art itself. [/2¢]

I get a little creeped out when I go to FB to wish someone a Happy Birthday and suddenly see all these people "liking" my greeting. Bunch of stalkers waiting for something interesting to happen to someone else. It reminds me of the folks who are always taking pictures of all the fun stuff instead of putting the camera down and participating.

That's so true. I read an article recently about how FB makes mundane things look extraordinary. Look at meeeee! I went to the mall today! (And then a picture of a cappucino from the food court is the pic of the day) With 30 "likes" to follow. What is to "like" about something so everyday? :P I can't look at it anymore. I'm not a snob, but it's just not a good use of time, I don't think. If you don't post your "day" on FB, does that diminsh the value of what you did that day?

And I don't care once they are a tattooed person. But a non-tattooed person getting their first? Curse me for a purist but I love the look of flesh au natural and don't think it needs any further adornment.

To me, human skin isn't a canvas, it's the work of art itself. [/2¢]

This is really nicely said. :)

It is the thing that keeps me torn. Once you get a tattoo, that's it. You can't go back.

Edited by Deidre

in reply to Iggy: Yes, the mom's response was great but it's not newsworthy. My other thought was too, must we share every thought and moment on Facebook?

Makes me wonder why was this newsworthy? Are we still in a day and age when parents reactions would be other than this mother's?

No, the mother's treatment... like "yeah, you're gay... now clean up your room"... like it wasn't newsworthy, is what it made it worthy of a grin.

It's a good note. Worthy of sharing.

Now we just have to get over the bigotry against facebook and its very 'active' userbase. Can't we just accept people the way they are, including their propensity to 'like' every single thing and to post about the most mundane crap?

You people make me sick.

Now we just have to get over the bigotry against facebook and its very 'active' userbase. Can't we just accept people the way they are, including their propensity to 'like' every single thing and to post about the most mundane crap?

You people make me sick.

For a moment there I thought you wasn't being sarcastic.

• 7 months later...
This is really nicely said. :)

It is the thing that keeps me torn. Once you get a tattoo, that's it. You can't go back.

Same here, i sometimes used to bring a marker to a party and have people draw stuff on my arm, knowing it 'd be gone in a few days.

• 1 year later...

" I agree with your statement "I stopped being amazed by the depths of human stupidity long ago. Now I'm amazed when we do something smart."I wish I was smarter at least I am trying to become smarter. Some people dont even try. I don't go on facebook at all, I am not a big fan of it. sorry the link didn't open for me so I googled it.

I feel so bad for the poor guy, but i am glad to see that he get support from other people and I am glad he posted this intervention. I support gays, I wish things were easier for them in life and I hope that society will accept them one day. I think soon it wont be as much of a problem, people will be accepting many people are already.