Syria Operation Farce

waitforufo

The Democratic party should be proud of the atonement that they have made so far, but they have a long way to go. There are lots of people alive today that remember the the 50's and 60's. I don't think they would say it was a "whatever" moment.

What about the Republican party of the 50's and 60's? Ike was president when I was born. The Republican party should be ashamed of what they've done since then. And they show no signs of atonement, none at all.

By the time I was old enough to be interested in politics, Eisenhower's fears about the military-industrial complex had already come true. Now, we don't wage wars for what's right, we do it only if it brings profit as well, which is a really stupid way to approach killing our own species. And it's both Democrats and Republicans now, since getting elected in the first place is all about which corporation you're writing legislation for.

Maybe that is where it take you, but I have never felt that way.

Three generations is 60 years so your timing is right. But three generations is nothing. From a historical perspective either is 150 years.

I don't argue there.

The Democratic party should be proud of the atonement that they have made so far, but they have a long way to go.

No... I think we're talking cross purposes. You know how Shakespeare said "a rose by any other name"? Whatever the problems are of the democratic party -- they are here today for democrats to own and claim -- whatever the failings. But, you can't ask someone three generations late to a party to apologize for his name. The name alone means nothing. A rose by any other name smells just so sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

As an update to the Syrian chemical weapon stocks:

U.S. and Russian officials now believe that the vast majority of Syria’s nerve agent stockpile consists of “unweaponized” liquid precursors that could be neutralized relatively quickly, lowering the risk that the toxins could be hidden away by the regime or stolen by terrorists.

Source

Nice try, but the Democratic party can't sidestep it's history. They are the party of slavery, secession, civil war, segregation, jim crow, and the KKK. This will never be lost to history, and the Democratic party will forever have to atone for this history. Yes, the tea party will always be owned by the Republican party,

The Tea Party folks are the same faction that was the KKK, the Confederacy, and so forth.

The history you want to avoid sidestepping is how those people became Republicans. The key players in that move were Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon, with Ronald Reagan picking up the pieces.

Soi far the only interesting feature of the thread OP is how the word "farce" was distributed to the media voices - an unusual vocabulary not formerly so ubiquitous among the unlettered and unlearned.

So far Obama has (like Carter before him on occasion), gained his objectives without direct military force - a capability relatively rare in modern US foreign doings, and probably just good luck, but still - so far so good.

Edited by overtone