Hydras & Immortality

Lattima

Does anyone know if the hydra's immortality is due to telomere regeneration, and if so, which genes would be responsible for that?

If it's not obvious enough already, my idea is to use a viral vector to transmit the gene to a test animal to make it biologically immortal, then try to make a human (myself) immortal.

Cheers,

Lattima

AFAIK it is currently unknown how hydras avoid senescence, or how they retain telomere length. But to implant a gene to regenerate telomeres would more likely result in cancer (which, IIRC, are biologically immortal) than to keep you alive.

However, if the cancer could theoretically be cured, then there would be no problem, right? I think a similar genetic transfer from the naked molerat (which is practically immune to cancer) could solve that problem... Thanks for the feedback though!

I think these things are much more complicated than you're giving them credit for. We don't know how hydras avoid senescence or if it would be a viable way for people to do so. We have an idea of the reason a naked molerat may be immune to cancer, but it is doubtful our bodies would do favorably using the exact same mechanisms. The cure may be more dangerous than the disease.

Its doubtful that there is any single gene in the hydra genus that is responsible for its projected immortality. There are myriad factors, not only biological but environmental as well that contribute to its longevity. Asexual reproduction is one such example. You're also talking about an organism that is only a few millimeters in length. Translating any gene to an organism as complex as a human is probably not going to do anything but give you cancer.

The secret to immortality requires an integrated approach. You can't confine yourself to biological factors, and especially not to a single gene.