Turning EDTA disodium into tetrasodium

pippo

People,

Ethylenedinitrillo tetracetic acid disodium salt- I have loads of it but needing a small quantity of the tetrasodium. Can I just add some NaOH to convert it to the tetra somehow, or no way?

Say, per gram of disodium, how much NaOH (theoretical 100%. dry) should I need, if doable?

Thanks, as always!!

Oh- say I cant do this- would the disodium be as efective chelator of metals (Mg, Zn, etc) as the tetra? Opinons appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

The conversion from the disodium to the tetrasodium salt is done, as you say with sodium hydroxide. What you need to do is write a balanced reaction equation for this. From there you can calculate the number of moles and hence grams you require.

If you are going to adjust the pH of the material later then it won't matter much if you start with the di sodium or tetra sodium salt.

Did it John! Right- ended up there was so much NaOH to dump in there, didnt really have to worry about it. They wanted pH way up there. Thanks for the encouragemnent!

Edited by pippo

You got loads of it-can you give me some? I have been trying to treat for black widow spider bites hoping that it will chelate the venom so far I have not the serious problems that others have mass swelling and gallons of puss ozing out of the fang areas. But I notice I had a plastic brace on my leg bone from being seriously broken and it feels like it wants to chelate that plastic off my bones.

You got loads of it-can you give me some? I have been trying to treat for black widow spider bites hoping that it will chelate the venom so far I have not the serious problems that others have mass swelling and gallons of puss ozing out of the fang areas. But I notice I had a plastic brace on my leg bone from being seriously broken and it feels like it wants to chelate that plastic off my bones.

I can't think of any reason why EDTA would affect this stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrotoxin

however EDTA is poisonous .

Take the bites to a doctor.

Right. why would edta be effective for spider bites? Is there "loads", as you say, of metal in a spider's venom?? Sheesh........cmon. Besides, never would send a chemical even to a fellow member for personal use.

But John, edta is used in some foods as an additive- not that poisonous, I think.

Edited by pippo

Right. why would edta be effective for spider bites? Is there "loads", as you say, of metal in a spider's venom?? Sheesh........cmon. Besides, never would send a chemical even to a fellow member for personal use.

But John, edta is used in some foods as an additive- not that poisonous, I think.

Well I got some thin hopes I don't like the idea of my limbs dripping off, plus the spider is trying to get its venom in the heart causing a break in the artery or heart cardio EDTA helps to chelate it dose not have to be metal EDTA well chelate beer or vodka from the liver I notice when taking large amounts of EDTA then drinking that my liver felt really different the alcohol did not feel so good so I stop drinking. Its like drinking vodka straight it feels like it cuts right into the liver but when taking the EDTA it fills up the void and feels like it is protecting the liver. I ordered the doctor to give me large dose of EDTA and dimecorpol for a rattle snake bite that he scuff at I was in the hospital for 2 days in sever pain and swelling I could not walk because of the pain I took the 2 and within 45 minutes all pain went away and swelling I could then walk.

"spider is trying to get its venom in the heart causing a break in the artery or heart cardio"

You are attributing an unreasonable amount of understanding of human anatomy to a spider.

"EDTA well chelate beer or vodka from the liver "

No it will not.

" I notice when taking large amounts of EDTA then drinking that my liver felt really different"

You can't really feel your liver.

" I ordered the doctor to..."

If you "order" the doctor to do something that he knows can not work, it's no wonder that the circumstances in your deleted post arose.

Since the body needs calcium, anything which chelates it is toxic.