Genetically-modified, oil-eating bacteria creating dangerous mutant organisms in the Gulf Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/031090_Gulf_of_Mexic

DaDa

Hi guys,

I know absolutely nothing about science but this forum is truly fantastic.

Have been lurking for a while, but had to finally create a thread on an issue that really troubles me and I don’t fully understand – the creation of Genetically-modified (GM), oil-eating bacteria introduced into the Gulf as part of the BP’s oil disaster remediation efforts (article pasted below).

Clearly, this is headed for a disaster. Where can I find more info on this? Thoughts, comments… There’s very little mention of this in the media.

http://www.naturalnews.com/031090_Gulf_of_Mexico_bacteria.html

Edited by DaDa

For one thing synthetic genomics is not the same as genetic engineering.

That's just a scare tactic.

The title of the actual scientific report cited by this article's source:

Deep-Sea Oil Plume Enriches Indigenous Oil-Degrading Bacteria

Somehow a local beneficial bacterium has become an evil GM Bacterium...

Suspected some good old fashioned fear mongering. Thanks so much for the input. I'll read the report.

Oil has leaked from holes in the ground since well before people were interested in it.

It was "eaten" by bacteria- otherwise we would be up to our ankles in it by now.

Taking those bacteria and making sure they get to places where there's an oil spill is just helping nature along a bit.

What's the "scare story" here?

Also it should be noted that even if lab strains are used for bioremediation they tend not to compete very successfully indigenous bacteria. Therefore they often have to be used in large amounts and even then after a relatively short time they tend to be outcompeted by whatever is already present.

The reason is obvious, bioremediation strains are used because of their ability to utilize certain toxins. However, in contrast to indigenous bacteria, they have not been selected for survival under the given conditions.

Side comment:

Of course ordinary evolutionary response is much different, and carries much less in the way of science-fictionary horror story "mutant bugs eat our eyeballs" implication, than genetic engineering.

And the discovery that existing bacteria can - possibly with well-calculated and carefully employed encouragement - eat oil spills without depleting the water column of oxygen, is very good news. Let's follow up on that, diligently and with serious money (provided by BP and Exxon and the rest of the hugely profitable planet-bestriding corporations that are creating the problem in the first place, of course). We need this.

But:

the next time we hear the very same people

who are now telling us that this happenstance of artificially pressured and selected breeding is nothing like genetic engineering, carrying almost none of the risks involved in genetic engineering, perfectly safe and nothing to worry about,

tell us that genetic engineering of crops and food is the same thing as ordinary domestication of crops and the food by selective breeding etc, just part of our thousands of years of agricultural tradition, perfectly safe and nothing to worry about,

we won't just forget what they were saying last week - right?

So far I found no evidence other than conspiracy sites. As almost all articles did not demonstrate significant knowledge of basic microbiology plus seem to obfuscate rather than providing information, I would say that there is no data to support that there is some massive reproduction of a magic bacterium (that the articles do not even identify).

• 3 months later...

Hello, just because they have created a bacteria that serves to eat oil doesnt mean it will deplete the oil of the entire work. They might have made it for the purpose of clearing up oil leaks, which is a productive thing. There are lots of bacteria in nature which serve varied purposes, you can see some of their eating habits and function here: http://www.researchomatic.com/nature-essay/