biology help!

maurice23

I am not sure where the confusion is, but essentially it means that photosynthesis never existed because the organisms capable of it never developed (which is basically just a rephrasing so I am not certain whether that clears up anything).

As CharonY has stated.

Hint: Think about the organisms that are capable of carrying out photosynthesis and about the organisms that are in turn directly or indirectly reliant on those organisms capable of photosynthesis. What might happen to various ecosystems? What alternative energy-capturing mechanisms might have replaced photosynthesis?

I hope that I am right in guiding you in this way, the task that you have been set seems rather vague to me.

Good luck,

Tri

I could only think that microorganisms would have developed, and that they would have maintained their position in the world's oceans and water. That comes with the assumption to macromolecules would have only been developed in the world's water supply, thus never really reaching land. It's an interesting question that goes back to the development of the cell. Assu

ming that evolution could still occur, would photosynthesis be necessary for eukaryotes to have developed on Earth?

There may be more to that homework question, but that's what I think. It's a broad question, whereby you would have to develop an argument based on evidence and beliefs of how the world's ecosystem developed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_evolutionary_history_of_life

Edited by Genecks

I could only think that microorganisms would have developed, and that they would have maintained their position in the world's oceans and water.

Eh, this is a very strange statement considering that obviously microorganisms existed well before photosynthesis. For obvious reasons.

That comes with the assumption to macromolecules would have only been developed in the world's water supply, thus never really reaching land.

I do not think that this makes sense. Or at least I do not understand what is meant by this.

I know exactly what this is relating to endosymbiotic theory. Try reading this I can't give you the answer but only help! http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/begin/cells/organelles/ I think what they mean by photosynthesis evolved is photosynthesis is here today it's a poor word choice I have to say good luck, oh and endosymbiotic theory is basically about eukaryotic cells eating unique prokaryotes (kinda fuse) to get a eukaryotic cell with the unique bacteria inside you'll find more yourself in the link!

Edited by Titan1290