palm-sized spider, PL help

fresh

Like this?

spider.jpg

Cool, I didn't know they were that docile, I've let tarantulas crawl on me before but I was never keen on the whole picking them up part, looked like an easy way to piss them off. Lots of spiders if not most will crawl on you with out biting, black widows will crawl on you with out biting, wolf spiders, which we have around here will passively crawl onto your hand but attempt to pick one up by latching onto it and you'll get bit, not the end of the world but painful...

From your link...

Venom and aggression[edit source | editbeta]

Like practically all spiders apart from the Uloboridae and someLiphistiidae and Holarchaeidae,[6] Sparassidae use venom to immobilise prey and to assist in digestion. They have been known to inflict defensive bites, but are not widely regarded as dangerous to healthy humans.[7] Huntsman spiders are widely considered beneficial because they feed on insect pests such as cockroaches.

There have been reports of members of various genera such asPalystes,[8]Neosparassus (formerly called Olios) and several others, inflicting bites. The effects vary, including local swelling and pain, sometimes with nausea, headache, vomiting, irregular pulse rate, and heart palpitations, indicating some systemic neurological effects, especially when the bites were severe or repeated. However, the formal study of spider bites is fraught with complications, including unpredictable infections, dry bites, shock, andnocebo effects. An investigation into spider bites in Australia, in which Sparassidae figured prominently, did not note any severe or unusual symptoms resulting from confirmed bites from some of the most notorious genera, particularly Neosparassus.

It is not always clear what provokes Sparassidae to bite people, but it is known that female members of this family will aggressively defend their egg sacs and young against perceived threats. The frequency of bites on various body parts suggests that by far the most are accidental or incidental, resulting from inadvertent handling.[2] Bites from Sparassids usually do not require hospital treatment. In particular no necrosis was reported in the works cited here.

They have a bite that hurts but is not medically significant. I took a bite from an usumbara once and it felt like getting stung by 10 wasps at once in the same place. Aside from the horrendous pain I suffered no other effects except some leg cramps.

They have a bite that hurts but is not medically significant. I took a bite from an usumbara once and it felt like getting stung by 10 wasps at once in the same place. Aside from the horrendous pain I suffered no other effects except some leg cramps.

I don't know dude, to me horrendous pain is medically significant...

I'm perfectly fine with small finger-tip size spiders, hell I even play with them, but anything larger freaks the shit out of me.

Saw this exact thing by the stairs just this week and almost fell to my death.

Does that count as arachnophobia?

Saw this exact thing by the stairs just this week and almost fell to my death.

Does that count as arachnophobia?

Climacophobia or bathmophobia are also possibilities. Maybe the spider was scary because he was by the stairs....eek.gif

Climacophobia or bathmophobia are also possibilities. Maybe the spider was scary because he was by the stairs....eek.gif

Seeing the photos above already gives me the creeps. I was thinking 'what if there was more of that thing...'. But honestly, stuff like black widows or those classes of smaller bugs don't really bother me. Although maybe when they are in enlarged photo form.

Its true though that I'm scared of heights. sad.png Only if I look down.