Theistic Scientists

Unity+

Genuine belief based on feelings, which some call faith, can make people seem a bit like trolls because they offer nothing but wishful thinking and supernatural explanations.

Can you at least have some respect to theists who have a scientific mind?

I may be a Christian/Catholic, but I base scientific conclusions on scientific observations. Have some leniency here.

Moderator note (swansont)

I have split this off from the science's purpose is to explain God's creations thread as it ended up being a pretty sharp break from the other discussion, but was not clear exactly where the best split point was. Further, this is moved to Religion, since the basis of the discussion is not a claim consistent with Speculations

I may be a Christian/Catholic, but I base scientific conclusions on scientific observations.

So, you have a double standard then. Why do you suspend that approach when it comes to your religion?

I may be a Christian/Catholic, but I base scientific conclusions on scientific observations. Have some leniency here.

No disrespect at all. I chose words like "can make people seem..." with respect and leniency in mind.

Let me make it clear. I have no problem with what people believe until it starts to impact my world. In this, I feel the same way about virtually everything; treat people the way you want to be treated, do what you feel you need to do but be willing to pay the consequences, and don't turn your problems into other people's problems.

Your beliefs don't impact me the way it would if an elected official made decisions based on their personal religious beliefs, or a group tried to stop Planned Parenthood from teaching contraception in favor of abstinence. Their are many religious people, in science and out, who have a quiet faith that is just for them and from which they derive a great deal of comfort without ever having forced those beliefs on others.

Sometimes I think it takes a scientific mind to believe in God while acknowledging that others are allowed to believe differently. A scientist could be happy with, "We just don't know" as an answer.

So, you have a double standard then. Why do you suspend that approach when it comes to your religion?

When have I ever suspended that approach?

Well as opposed to the christian god; let me introduce you to Fred the furret who constructed the entire universe 20 milliseconds ago.

This is just getting ridiculous...

You said you make scientific conclusions based on scientific observations. Are you saying that you make religious conclusions based on scientific observations? If not, then my question stands. Why do you suspend that approach of basing conclusions on scientific observations when it comes to your religion?

You said you make scientific conclusions based on scientific observations. Are you saying that you make religious conclusions based on scientific observations? If not, then my question stands. Why do you suspend that approach of basing conclusions on scientific observations when it comes to your religion?

Let me make the difference between basing a conclusion in science on scientific evidence and making a conclusion of belief philosophically.

Based on all the scientific theories we have, the "fine-tuned" universe and design of the Universe, I make my own conclusion that there is an intelligent being behind it. This type of thinking makes sense to me, unless you consider it irrational.

This is just getting ridiculous...

Not quite, I can show you how to start a religion, which, like all, is based on utter made-up nonsense and also provide ways for schisms to evolve.

If you are offended by that, you have every right to be. Just as I have every right at free speech as long as I don't insult a person directly. A religion is not a person.

Edited by Fuzzwood

Right, but the question was why you take this different approach.

Because proving the existence of God through science is pseudoscience because science cannot prove or disprove God.

Not quite, I can show you how to start a religion, which, like all, is based on utter made-up nonsense and also provide ways for schisms to evolve.

Well why don't you take this to the religion section then, if you so believe that you must?

Edited by Unity+

Because this thread started with the ridiculous approach that science in the end serves god. It does not. It serves mankind as there is no god. God is an entity made up by man who couldn't and still cannot think for themselves and rather shovel their responsibilities on this non-existant entity.

Edited by Fuzzwood

Because proving the existence of God through science is pseudoscience because science cannot prove or disprove God.

And yet you choose to conclude god exists despite this lack of evidence and proof. Why? Would you do this when deciding on the existence of Harry Potter or on the existence of Thor? Edited by iNow

And yet you choose to conclude god exists absence this lack of evidence and proof. Why? Would you do this when deciding on the existence of Harry Potter or on the existence of Thor?

Well if you are going to try to change my belief in God it ain't going to happen. I respect your beliefs and I hope you turn out to respect mine.

Edited by Unity+

...I respect your beliefs and I hope you turn out to respect mine.

A-theist --> anti theist --> non believer. Ergo an atheist does not believe. Don't make it sound like an atheist does.

Kindly try to refrain from engaging into scientific discussion where you claim something to exist without providing tangible proof.

Edited by Fuzzwood

A-theist --> anti theist --> non believer. Ergo an atheist does not believe. Don't make it sound like an atheist does.

Kindly try to refrain from engaging into scientific discussion where you claim something to exist without providing tangible proof.

I am not saying that they do believe. In fact, what the heck are you talking about?

Well if you are going to try to change my belief in God it ain't going to happen.

How closed minded, lol.

I doub't anyone will try to change your mind unless you are open to the possibility of changing your stance.

This does remind me of many cranks positions on science!

But anyway, science cannot prove or disprove the existence of God, however doesn't the whole idea sound manmade?

How closed minded, lol.

I doub't anyone will try to change your mind unless you are open to the possibility of changing your stance.

This does remind me of many cranks positions on science!

But anyway, science cannot prove or disprove the existence of God, however doesn't the whole idea sound manmade?

My point was that science cannot prove or disprove the existence of God.

Well if you are going to try to change my belief in God it ain't going to happen. I respect your beliefs and I hope you turn out to respect mine.

I currently do not respect your beliefs, and you've offered no good reason for me to do so. I've asked you questions which you've failed to answer. I've offered reasonable criticisms and counter arguments to your points to which you've refused to respond. For what reason should me or anyone else respect your beliefs, and in what way are they different from someone who believes that the farts of pink unicorns are the cause of erections in leprechauns?

Further, I cannot respect the position of someone who says (as you just have above) that "no matter what you say and regardless of what points you make or evidence you share, I refuse to alter my position." Why should ANYONE respect such a stance?

My point was that science cannot prove or disprove the existence of God.

Sure, but I think we have to accept that God is clearly a manmade concept and without any evidence.

Anyway I think you have made your position clear and others have diagreed with you. Time to move on before this turns ugly.

With regaurds to the opening post, historically many scientists and mathematicans thought that they were uncovering Gods handywork in nature. I assume some religious scientists still do today.

Sure, but I think we have to accept that God is clearly a manmade concept and without any evidence.

Anyway I think you have made your position clear and others have diagreed with you. Time to move on before this turns ugly.

With regaurds to the opening post, historically many scientists and mathematicans thought that they were uncovering Gods handywork in nature. I assume some religious scientists still do today.

That was what I was stating before, that we can agree to disagree. That is what I was trying to say. I never intended any hate to build up.

That was what I was stating before, that we can agree to disagree. That is what I was trying to say. I never intended any hate to build up.

I am sure no body hates you, but they may not like your philosophy. But that is life...

I am sure no body hates you, but they may not like your philosophy. But that is life...

People may not agree with each others political views, but we can't let that get in the way of scientific discovery.

People may not agree with each others political views, but we can't let that get in the way of scientific discovery.

Some times it can get in the way, as can ones religous views.

Some times it can get in the way, as can ones religous views.

I don't see any of my religious views getting in the way of science(again, we can agree to disagree on this). In fact, it encourages.

Edited by Unity+