Darting specks of light in my vision - know what they are?

Yes! I have these too! All the people who think they "know" what these are (spots, protein, cells, bacteria, etc) are completely wrong. I call them the dancing lights, and they are something completely different than all of those things, though what, I have no idea. The closest thing I have seen to them is the contrived images of an electron popping in and out of existence while spinning around inside the atom. These are very small particles of light, all of them absolutely uniform in size and shape, but differing in motion. The closest approximation of their movement I can think of it what it looks like when someone just jabs over and over at a piece of paper with a pen/pencil.

I only see them in real sunlight, though if I stare hard at a Tv screen/comp monitor it looks similar, but as if the specs are much smaller or far more tightly packed/condensed.

I also have to let my eyes go out of focus to really see them all that well. it just looks like generalized movement/fuzziness all over if my eyes are focused.

I wish I knew what these were!!

I didn't always see them, though staring into a really bright snowy area always produced a strange, movement-like impression on empty space, which is similar in some ways...

I've been seeing them every day since last summer.

I am pretty sure I see the same things your talking about. I've looked at some of the 'visual snow' simulations and it is nothing like that at all. I don't even notice them unless I am staring at a blue sky with unfocused eyes. I remember first noticing them when I was a teenager (or maybe even younger). I don't think they are DEAD blood cells, as they are a bit too active. cosmic rays?... I doubt it but who knows?

The best words to describe them that come into my head are 'virtual particles'. I don't know if that's really what they are, but that's how they seem to act... little specks that pop into existence travel a very short distance and then pop out of existence.

I estimate at least a hundred of these things per second in my vision all going in random directions... it's really quite interesting watching them, and I really wish I knew what they were too.

I find it quite difficult to tell if their movement is affected when I look around because they come and go so fast.

Please let me know, GaryLeo, if this description is similar to what you see.

Muscati fugitens, or 'floaters,' are harmless dark specks which people see moving around in their eyes, especially when light hits the eyeball at the right angle to accent their appearnce. These are perfectly normal symptoms of dead cells being shed by the inner eyeball, and although they can appear more often in the aging eye, they are nothing to worry about.

However, bright flashes which patients describe as flames around the rim of the eyeball or as electrical sparks can be signs of traction on the retina and could be more serious. If the symptoms are more like this than like floaters, they should be investigated by an ophthalmologist. Similarly, the appearance of small, white, outlined circles in the visual field can also be caused by the release of lipids from underlying levels of the retina, which is also pathological and should be investigated.

• 10 months later...

I am pretty sure I see the same things your talking about. I've looked at some of the 'visual snow' simulations and it is nothing like that at all. I don't even notice them unless I am staring at a blue sky with unfocused eyes. I remember first noticing them when I was a teenager (or maybe even younger). I don't think they are DEAD blood cells, as they are a bit too active. cosmic rays?... I doubt it but who knows?

The best words to describe them that come into my head are 'virtual particles'. I don't know if that's really what they are, but that's how they seem to act... little specks that pop into existence travel a very short distance and then pop out of existence.

I estimate at least a hundred of these things per second in my vision all going in random directions... it's really quite interesting watching them, and I really wish I knew what they were too.

I find it quite difficult to tell if their movement is affected when I look around because they come and go so fast.

Please let me know, GaryLeo, if this description is similar to what you see.

Hi. My search on these sparks brought me here. What you and GaryLeo describe is what I see, too (I've always seen since a child - am now in my thirties). Only now it's become more "real" not so much in the background anymore. There are now also ripples/flow occurring. I see them all the time, not only in sunlight anymore. Please let me know if you come across an answer, I'm also curious. But so happy that others see this too!

Hi. My search on these sparks brought me here. What you and GaryLeo describe is what I see, too (I've always seen since a child - am now in my thirties). Only now it's become more "real" not so much in the background anymore. There are now also ripples/flow occurring. I see them all the time, not only in sunlight anymore. Please let me know if you come across an answer, I'm also curious. But so happy that others see this too!

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/spotsfloats.htm

I would go and consult an ophthamologist.

Edited by StringJunky

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I've looked on sites the internet, but haven't been able to find out about these little darting specks of light that I see when I look up towards the sky. They don't appear to be in the sky, but are more like somehow produced in the actual eye, as I believe they move with the movement of my eyes. They're not "floaters", as they look very different to them (much brighter, for starters). I've never noticed them when I've been indoors, so I think that bright natural light is a factor. So, kind friends, can I ask a few questions of anyone willing to answer any of them, and maybe help me out? :

-Firstly, and most crucially, does anyone know what they are?

-Do you see them?

I see them alright I see them when I look at the sky the ground the water. Basically any brightly lit area except for indoors. I never see them indoors. They seem to be alive darting around like wasps or ants in an ant hill on speed. They are only describable as specks of pure light surrounded by a distorted run of darkness that alows you to track their movements. Personally I can see them anytime now. No need to focus but I know what you meen by the need to cross your eyes somewhat to see them: my advice look at a peice of dust on your eye then after a while you will see hundreds of thousands. A question though how do you see the colour black in a dark room. Is it black or a combination of tiny pinpricks of colour that shift creating the illusion of nothingness. Tip focus on he distortions in the colour black and you can see when there is no light at all.

-Does everyone see them?

I do not know a single other person that can see them but they are real you are not hullucinating. Now hearing this from a fifteen year old probably isn't helping but what can I say science comes easily to me.

-Can anyone provide a good link about them?

Thanks in advance for any help.:)

Please tell me how you see light I know no other person who sees light like I do not my family not my friends not my community. I need to know that there is someone like me out there

Yup, it's crap floating in your vitreous humor, nothing to see here folks (except little floating squigglies)

They are not squiggles they are more like spheres and they dart around live like not as if they were dust or particles but rapid changes of directions moving in both straight and curved lines and they overlap cluster bounce and some even stay still long enough that you can see he distortion as clearly as the colour black is not colourless

It happens to me randomly, and hasn't ever been instigated by an event like a sneeze afaik

But do yours move about and stay there in your vission not suddenly dissapearing?

I think I may have what you are talking about. I have these "floaters" and when I am bored in class, I like to watch them. But, these flashes that I have aren't really flashes. Mine are literally billions of specks of light. I can stare at any color of wall or anything and see these. If I shake my head to get my hair out of my eyes, they specks become more vibrant. If I close my eyes, I can see the specks as clear as day. I can even make "pictures" with them. It's kind of hard to explain. If you have this too, maybe you can elaborate more on it.

You see the specks of colour like I do. It's almost like lookin at a tv when it's full of static if you focus hard enough you see images form in your eyes as if you are peering through the light to the world on the otherside

EDIT: Also, if I stare at something for an extended period of time, I start to lose my vision. It starts to go black from the corners in. If anyone can explain these, I would love to hear why this happens. An extended period of time is about 1-2 minutes, usually sooner though.

Hi Guys, Did anybody get the bottom of the random little darting specks of light that I also see on a fine day outside whenever I unfocus my eyes at will. I'm just interested to know what they are and thats all! I have emailed GaryLeo and Losfomot and have had no reply. Its very interesting. I have yearly eye examinations/photographs and they are fine. This whole floater flasher thing is something entirely different and My blood pressure is fine!. Any sensible reply appreciated.

Clayyts

You see them too the living lights. Particles needle thin and far away yet just ou of reach. They move with their own will almost as if they were alive and they never stop they almost have a hive mind

I briefly read through this post (haven't tried the links yet), and it described some of my experiences.

I see colored dots that flash and move everywhere. I can see then anytime anywhere, especially when in darker places. but at times they form patterns. The most recent pattern consisted thin green and brown/red/orange (it never stays still) that swirl around each other. It breaks up and the colors change to form ill-defined shapes that morph into each other. I should add at this point that I have not taken any drugs (prescriptions aside), do not do any drugs, and am not on any prescriptions right now.

I can recall a math class (I was staring into space after a test) when I noticed the bright green ones were lining up into rows, those rows are curved and on a circle. Some of the dots were closely spaced and others were brighter and further apart. The pattern repeated. Imagine that pattern on a road, like the asphalt texture when driving on a road during night. the pattern comes around and under you. Then the widely dots stop moving with the closely placed ones and begin to spin the opposite direction.

I noticed this whole thing years back and went to an eye doctor, who told me that aside from some floaters everything was perfect, (beyond that considering the 20/15 vision in both eyes.)

A counselor said that some of these events may be linked to lucid dreaming. But much of the time they can happen when I'm perfectly awake. Like right now, or rather 20 minutes ago when i noticed i can permanently see them regardless of what I'm looking at on 2/3 the vision over my left eye on the right side, and only when the right eye is closed.

For what it's worth I have also had random instances of Synesthesia. When I'm bearly asleep a noise will seem louder than it really is and the dots will arrange themselves into a shape(s) specific to that sound. ex; floor cracks evoke crazy, but defined, chaotic b/w zig-zag lines that go everywhere. My window glass making a creaking sound from the temperature change during night is a large rectangle with smaller ones around the line that outlines the larger one, all light blue with a white/grey background. They dissappear as fast as they have appeared. I have not gotten properly diagnosed for this.

Well, sorry to get off topic there.

~erin

erin i see similar things to you when in a dark room but i wonder is your vision showing you what is making the noise?

Those dots/specks you see darting around when staring up into a bright blue sky on a sunny day (not looking at the sun) don't seem to be caused by floaters (muscae volitantes) nor flashers. It is known as scheerer's phenomenon or blue field entoptic phenomenon. Those dots/specks superimposed over a flat blue background are white blood cells moving through the blood vessels of the retina.

but what of when looking at backgrounds that are multi coloured and none of the colours are blue

I've seen the worms move around but never the flashes of light. I always thought of them as a white very microscopic explosion of like a light receptor or something; I don't know what they are though! Hey have you ever seen the purple swirly? It's like seeing the refresh rate of monitors from the early 90's but swirly and purple. If you meditate and watch this stuff long enough you can intentionally or not so intentionally cause yourself to hallucinate. You may suddenly see something very far away as though it where right in front of you. I once stared for so long while I wasn't wearing my glasses and I suddenly saw two dots of focused space in my vision. When they united I swear I saw through a drywall wall. It was like I was looking at all the minute traces of light that where able to tunnel through the material and have my brain recreate the picture from the limited information. I have way to much time on my hands!

i dont think you are hulucinating i can sometimes focus on a far away object and sort of see it up close without the travel. what is creapy is my dreams that come real a few days later

i've noticed these little light specs as well, i first saw them when i was about six, i was sitting in the school bathroom staring at the ground and i noticed them darting vertically and horizontally, however now, they dart around in random directions like a swarm of bugs, i know its not floaters and i dont think its that blue syndrome watever its called because they dont have any sort of "track" they dart around every which way, however, after i took hallucinogens i have come up with somewhat of a hypothesis, before, and i think some of you have referred to this, ive noticed an almost in detectable "static" layer over everything i see, it seems to be inside my eyes, when i took lsd, i noticed that as it very gradually came on, this static slowly sharpened and focused into fractal patterns and colors, my theory is that this layer is the bridge between your nerve cells in your eyes and your brain, i think it's your brain processing what you're seeing, i think that little ringing in your ears that never goes away is the same thing, but for hearing

actually from experimentation the ringing that never goes away is usually electricity try moving your ear near a wall socket that is in use and the ringing will intensify

http://www.allaboutv...spotsfloats.htm

I would go and consult an ophthamologist.

i hate to say this but you are an idiot we are not talking about floaters. take a light bulb shrink it to impossblt small but incredibly bright. atatch five million of these to electrons and release hem in the sky and you will have an inkling of what we are seeing

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow im thinking I found the right forum.. So I used to see these spots a lot when I was younger. Now only see them 3 to 4 times per year.. ive read the posts in this thread and most if not all the details match what ive seen today.. the best way I can describe it would be burning ants.. im sure all of us have done this if not have a weird friend who enjoyed this past time. The moment before u catch sun light through the magnifying glass when it comes to a point with a little bit of a tail. Only I can see them when im in the house on more then one occasion.. I understand staring at the sky or sun directly can cause spots which only makes sense to me. But I have seen them in poorly lite situations.. im puzzled or are my eyes just that sensitive?

It's because of light adaptation and dark adaptation of photoreceptors.When you are exposed to bright light,there will be more photobleaching of rods and cones.In a way senstivity of eye to light is reduced.When you are exposed to bright light for several minutes and suddenly if you see a dim scenary,you will see a sort of blurred,gray image.This is because it takes some time for bleached photochemicals to again return to normal form so that they can respond to light.

• 5 months later...

Hi ive just been searching what this could be, and i haven't found anything that could say what it is, hows its caused or anything! I get exactly the same thing but i also get it indoors and at any time of day, and i cant really find any factors/conditions that would affect it, i went to the doctors and they put it down to migraines because i also suffer with those, they also suggested i go to the opticians but that hasn't helped either, plus its definitely not "floaters" because everyone has those and most people could describe them as a line or wobbly line but these lights are so bright and they look almost like shooting stars....

• 1 year later...

Apoligies for bumping this discussion but even i can see these animated specs of light and have my thoughts about them that i would like to share.

First off i need to insist these are definately not eye floaters, wich are mostly see through and move at much slower speed, practically drifting and easily discerned by eye movement. They might be somewhat influenced by focus, perhaps bloodpressure in the sense that your receptors pick them up easier, as ive had them almost blot at times when i stood up from a chair and went to the bathroom. (not to be confused with lightheadedness) but they definately show up in enviroments where light travels such as between the space of a doorway.

What we are seeing 'might actually literally be the components of light traveling before our eyes receptors, so animated pure energy.

I have not a single time in my life seen these particles at pitch black night or any other point of day without light.

They are not flashes, neither are they a visual snow.

To reproduce it one simply has to reset their eye's focus in the same manner as trying to look at a stereoscopic image. One eye crooked so to speak' in the path of most preferably a bright natural light source.

The particles are absolutely animated although it cannot be said if they are intelligent or move systemically, their movements don't seem to fit that latter model, makes me reconsider their quantum mechanics. As some people have noted in this discussion they literally phase in and out after short spurts of about half a second or less, making it impossible to follow one.

I have yet to notice a distinct absolute source.

Though the link about the blue field phenomenon seems close to the truth, i am a hundred percent sure that it has nothing to do with anything blue, as i personally have seen these particles in every enviroment with a bright light path present regardless of any tint of blue present.

I feel like this subject needs to be observed disconnected from floaters and neurological problems.

Thank you for your time.

Edited by 0exegesis

...Apoligies for bumping this discussion but even i can see these animated specs of light and have my thoughts about them that i would like to share.

First off i need to insist these are definately not eye floaters, wich are mostly see through and move at much slower speed, practically drifting and easily discerned by eye movement. They might be somewhat influenced by focus, perhaps bloodpressure in the sense that your receptors pick them up easier, as ive had them almost blot at times when i stood up from a chair and went to the bathroom. (not to be confused with lightheadedness) but they definately show up in enviroments where light travels such as between the space of a doorway.

What we are seeing 'might actually literally be the components of light traveling before our eyes receptors, so animated pure energy.

I have not a single time in my life seen these particles at pitch black night or any other point of day without light.

They are not flashes, neither are they a visual snow.

To reproduce it one simply has to reset their eye's focus in the same manner as trying to look at a stereoscopic image. One eye crooked so to speak' in the path of most preferably a bright natural light source.

The particles are absolutely animated although it cannot be said if they are intelligent or move systemically, their movements don't seem to fit that latter model, makes me reconsider their quantum mechanics. As some people have noted in this discussion they literally phase in and out after short spurts of about half a second or less, making it impossible to follow one.

I have yet to notice a distinct absolute source.

Though the link about the blue field phenomenon seems close to the truth, i am a hundred percent sure that it has nothing to do with anything blue, as i personally have seen these particles in every enviroment with a bright light path present regardless of any tint of blue present.

I feel like this subject needs to be observed disconnected from floaters and neurological problems.

Thank you for your time.

Whatever your eyes see, your brain will try to turn it into something that makes sense or familiar.

I noticed that those violet, superimposed rings seen on the backs of the eyelids appear very similar to shower droplets rippling the water surface. Maybe they're generated by propagating waves? Very unscientific, I know.

Edited by MonDie

• 3 months later...

Had those a while ago. Doctor explained that 'floaters' (threadlike strands, which can be knobby and semi-transparent) suspended in the vitreous gel move with sudden eye movements. When they contact/brush the retina receptors in their motion, their 'abrasion' produce the darting flashes sensation.

Hope it helps.

Garyleo: Seeing these lights every time you look up is indication for a prompt dilated eye exam. If as you describe it, it is not normal. Also described as seeing stars, night or day doesnt matter. If you have had this for a long time it may not be a tear as your retina would likely have detached by now and it is to late to treat after a few days.A blow to the head jiggles the retina and one "sees stars". Most tears need to be repaired to preclude possible retinal detachment. Floaters themselves usually are a breakdown of the gel and are more common with age and require no treatment. They can be remnants of the hylaloid ebryological artery discarded after the lens is formed in the eye.A sudden onset of floaters can mean a tear or bleeding Treatable if done quickly.I have had floaters all my life but they have not changed. Dont try to catch them, they will put you away.

It may be only traction which is a tugging your retina by the gel in the eye.Mechanical stimulations make the receptors register as seeing stars. This may not need treatment but needs to be seen. Traction, tears and retinal detachments are most common in high myopes as their eyes tend to be longer and stretch the contents..

When I see these symptoms I do a dilated exam and take pictures of the retina and do a visual field exam. This maps blind areas. Usually the tests are negative.Most important when positive however..

• 3 months later...

I just happened upon this discussion and find it fascinating. I have had similar experiences my whole life. I recall telling my 2nd grade teacher that I could see "Atoms" as a way of explaining what I was seeing. She did not react well. I told my mother the same thing and she took me to the doctor to make sure my vision was normal. I remember getting the feeling that I should stop telling people what I was seeing, as they had no idea what I was talking about. It has persisted all of these years. In most conditions, I can "unfocus" my gaze and see the tiny orbs of light that flash and change color. It is most pronounced in natural light, however I can see them under most conditions. In the last few years, I have been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis which directly affects the brain and spinal cord and optic nerve. My damage is mostly limited to the spinal cord with minimal lesions on the brain and no significant impairment of the optic nerve. I have had Migraines on a sporadic basis as well. During some migraines, I have experienced an aura preceding it. I have also had optic migraine where I experienced a Scintillating Scotoma (wild experience). With all that being said, none of those easily explained phenomena are an accurate description of what I've been seeing since childhood. I have found something that is closer to my experience. Please read the wiki article here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphene

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I believe so, but I've been taught 2 things. So there's a scientific answer, and a spiritual answer which is nature related, specifically Taoism related. A quick reminder, Taoism is a Chinese philosophy, or belief system, that puts a lot of emphasis on nature. The Ying and Yang sign is a Taoist symbol. So I'll start with the more interesting answer, which in my opinion, it the Taoist/spiritual answer.

(Spiritual/Nature Answer): So in Taoism, there's the concept of nature energy. So when I use the words Energy, Chi (Chinese), Ki (Japanese, or Korean), Prana (Sanskrit), Mana (Polynesian), or Ruah/Ruach (Hebrew), I'll try to stick with 1, or 2, but basically, I'm referring to the same exact things. All living/sentient beings have Prana, Chi, or Ruah. So a Taoist, and maybe even a Chi Kung (energy work) practitioner, would say that you're seeing "Air Prana". I could elaborate on Chi, and nature energy more, but I should stay on subject. However, Air Prana would energize you, simply by using certain breathing techniques that involve the diaphragm. Singers may not realize it, but they use similar techniques when they sing.

(The Scientific Answer/Theory): Scientists called this phenomena "The Blue Field Entoptic Phenomenon," where under the right conditions, you can see the white blood cells in your eyes swimming about on a blue background. I'm assuming that it's light blue, because I can see them anytime, when I look up into a clear blue sky. However, oddly enough, I've seen them around me without concentrating on a background. So I don't know when "B.F.E.P," became an official scientific phenomenon, so who knows.

-Do you see them? ^_^ I believe that I've already claimed that I do.

-Does everyone see them? No, not everyone. In fact, when I was learning about Chi Kung, and I had just taken an Eastern Religion class, where the teacher also taught us about Taoism, when asked to look up into the clear blue sky, and tell people if we saw something, only myself, and another person, saw them.

It's Wikipedia, but now that you know what it's called, you can look for more info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_field_entoptic_phenomenon

Secrets of the Five Pranas

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

- You're welcome...

• 3 months later...

This has always been a curiosity for me!

Since a teen, (over 40 yrs now), no matter what the weather outside (raised in the northeast), or no matter what the light level in the environment (not in the dark, but a lit room to twilight), the only factor precipitating:

I'm in a lying down position (typically supine), and quickly open my eyes. Usually coming out of a deep sleep. Not necessarily jumping up quickly but simply opening eyes rapidly. Its almost like catching whatever these are by surprise. LOL....

Literally within nano seconds, while focusing, my peripheral vision is flooded with a handful of these minuscule, 'illuminated' little sperm-like organisms, which seem to 'swim'..... (wagging dark tails propelling a bright, white colored, lit egg shaped 'head', moving forward)....they seem to swim scattered, like being woken up themselves quickly, in a random pattern but all purposefully move toward the center of my eye. It is striking because it appears motivated, unlike a dull, unguided 'floater', 'hair', 'dust particle'. these little things behave like a responsive organism. they are reactive. once they 'swim' toward the center of my eye, they disappear from view. they seem to almost push each other to fit snuggley somewhere in the center of the eye. this is SUCH an odd happening but one I have noticed to repeat over time. the patterns of swimming vary and the number of swimmers vary, but the shape, light, and responsive reactive pattern of going toward the center of vision and then disappearing. it seems this is a common phenomenon. isnt there anyone out there who has studied this? what are they? this is NOT the lit sparkles you can see when you go from a lying down position and jump up super quick, get dizzy, full headed, ready to fall back, and sparkles appear briefly (this is blood rushing back into the head). this visual experience is quite different. looks completely different. i have never seen colors, halos, or any other anomaly otherwise.

I believe so, but I've been taught 2 things. So there's a scientific answer, and a spiritual answer which is nature related, specifically Taoism related. A quick reminder, Taoism is a Chinese philosophy, or belief system, that puts a lot of emphasis on nature. The Ying and Yang sign is a Taoist symbol. So I'll start with the more interesting answer, which in my opinion, it the Taoist/spiritual answer.

(Spiritual/Nature Answer): So in Taoism, there's the concept of nature energy. So when I use the words Energy, Chi (Chinese), Ki (Japanese, or Korean), Prana (Sanskrit), Mana (Polynesian), or Ruah/Ruach (Hebrew), I'll try to stick with 1, or 2, but basically, I'm referring to the same exact things. All living/sentient beings have Prana, Chi, or Ruah. So a Taoist, and maybe even a Chi Kung (energy work) practitioner, would say that you're seeing "Air Prana". I could elaborate on Chi, and nature energy more, but I should stay on subject. However, Air Prana would energize you, simply by using certain breathing techniques that involve the diaphragm. Singers may not realize it, but they use similar techniques when they sing.

(The Scientific Answer/Theory): Scientists called this phenomena "The Blue Field Entoptic Phenomenon," where under the right conditions, you can see the white blood cells in your eyes swimming about on a blue background. I'm assuming that it's light blue, because I can see them anytime, when I look up into a clear blue sky. However, oddly enough, I've seen them around me without concentrating on a background. So I don't know when "B.F.E.P," became an official scientific phenomenon, so who knows.

-Do you see them? ^_^ I believe that I've already claimed that I do.

owowow THANK YOU! AWESOME! i came to the right place!! Your Wiki link states, "Red blood cells pile up behind the white blood cell, showing up like a dark tail.[6] This behavior of the blood cells in the capillaries of the retina has been observed directly in human subjects by adaptive optics scanning laser ophthalmoscopy, a real time imaging technique for examining retinal blood flow.[7] The dots won’t appear at the very centre of the visual field, because there are no blood vessels there (foveal avascular zone)

-Does everyone see them? No, not everyone. In fact, when I was learning about Chi Kung, and I had just taken an Eastern Religion class, where the teacher also taught us about Taoism, when asked to look up into the clear blue sky, and tell people if we saw something, only myself, and another person, saw them.

It's Wikipedia, but now that you know what it's called, you can look for more info.

https://en.

wikipedia.

org/wiki/Blue_field_entoptic_phenomenon'' with gratitude :)

Secrets of the Five Pranas

https://vedanet.com/2012/06/13/secrets-of-the-five-pranas/

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

- You're welcome...