Darting specks of light in my vision - know what they are?

lols.... If you guys just read basic anatomy and histology you can just simply conclude that these are just fragments of cells from parts of the eye that are left floating in your vitrous or aqeous humor of your eye.

its just stuck there... so when light hits the dead cell or a you try to focus on it .... it appears like a tiny flash of light.

by the way.. its normal. So dont think your kinda special or sick.

-MDdan21

lols.... If you guys just read basic anatomy and histology you can just simply conclude that these are just fragments of cells from parts of the eye that are left floating in your vitrous or aqeous humor of your eye.

its just stuck there... so when light hits the dead cell or a you try to focus on it .... it appears like a tiny flash of light.

by the way.. its normal. So dont think your kinda special or sick.

-MDdan21

Could also be retinal detachment, which is an opthalmologic emergency and can lead to permanent blindness.

But hey, you're the expert.

• 1 month later...

I just found this topic. Since I was young, I've been seeing tiny specks of light. It usually only happens when I'm about to go to sleep and it's dark in the room. It can happen as soon as the lights go out, or it can happen many hours later if I can't fall asleep. All of the dots are orange, and they're brighter and closer together in the middle. If I concentrate on them, they'll appear to move closer to me and to get brighter. I don't know what it is, but I've wondered if anyone else has an experience like mine or might know what causes it. It is there whether my eyes are opened or closed. I know it's been there since I was younger because I remember telling my parents the sandman was giving me sand to help me sleep at night. Just curious...

It's basically a combination of exhaustion of the receptor cells in your eyes and the process of sensitization.

For those of you who would like to learn more about the visual system, I've included an awesome link below. You can read through each page, then hit the forward arrow to go to the next. It's a free online book with 60 pages of wonderful information and details about human vision done by Harvard professor David Hubel:

http://hubel.med.harvard.edu/b1.htm

The contents of the book can be found at the following (if you wish to focus on a specific area or download it for later reading):

http://hubel.med.harvard.edu/bcontex.htm

And the Index is here:

http://hubel.med.harvard.edu/bx1.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gary and the others who have correctly explained my problem about darting lights.

Heres my problem, when I was about 13 I started getting foaters, probably when I was about 15 I got the darting lights.

For me this is a constant condition, mostly noticable outside looking at the sky. I see thousands of small specks of light dashing around to fast to look at, I can't concentrate on one because as quick as it comes, it gone. I see them on any surface that is bright also. I find cloudy days to be the most effective, on blue skys they are there but not as intense.

I have seen 3 opticians, 3 opthamoligists, 1 neuroglist, had my bloods taken for diabeties and other supect illnesses but knowone can find what is wrong, they all say im fine!!!

The most worrying thing is is that these people dont know what Im talking about and act as though im making it up.

I'm looking for way to either completly clear them or reduce them.

Heres what I have found, when the sky is blue and there appears to be less of them, if I smoke, there presence in reduced for only a short time, maybe minutes.

This tells me that it may be linked to blood flow,

I really need you people who seem to have the same problem to keep in touch

I can tell you more about this if you require it

I wonder if I see them now because my eyes can focus on objects within the eye, rather than objects outside the eye, I got floaters within the eye at a young age, a growing age. Due to me focusing on them, I may have triggered a growth development within the eye to focus on inner objects and maybe this allows me to see these lights????

I know I sound mad but I need an explaination

Thanks

Anthony

• 2 months later...

Hey there, I had a dream last night and it ultimately lead me to this website regarding these millions of specks in my vision which I've seen since I was just a young boy. I'm only 21 now so most would definitely consider me still quite young (myself included) and I have much to learn of life still. I do however have a little bit different viewpoint on these little "specks" of light that we are all seeing...and I believe that they are just that. Now, it seems that most people go through their whole lives and don't quite seem to notice them, and there are others that can't not notice them. I totally respect everyone's viewpoints because they all make sense to a certain degree, and each deserve appreciation, respectively. I do however feel that I see them in a different light (pardon the pun). Now, when I start to really focus on them, by either relaxing my eyesight or just trying to concentrate on my peripherals, I found that at first the movement seems completely random. When I just give it a bit of time, they start to follow patterns, and flow seemingly like a flock of birds, one leading the other...on a much larger scale...thousands or perhaps millions of them. This lead me to wonder, " what is causing this movement?". Then something interesting happened to me. As I lay on my bed one day, I look up at the light on the center of my roof, and realized that these specs were flowing away from the light itself...gently streaming away from the source. Could it actually have something to do with seeing a pattern of light? Some move in a linear fashion, and some move (when I don't concentrate on a specific light source) erratically. Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone has something interesting to say about this viewpoint, and thank you all for your time and energy.

Hello LTL - I would be inclined to think that most of it happens in the brain area where the visual signals get processed, that movement has more to do with neurons and chemoelectricity than with an actual signal being perceived "out there." Interesting quesion, though. It could also be something in the visual pathway itself, but my speculation is that (whatever it is) it's (neuro)physiological.

Hi Gary and the others who have correctly explained my problem about darting lights.

Heres my problem, when I was about 13 I started getting foaters, probably when I was about 15 I got the darting lights.

For me this is a constant condition, mostly noticable outside looking at the sky. I see thousands of small specks of light dashing around to fast to look at, I can't concentrate on one because as quick as it comes, it gone. I see them on any surface that is bright also. I find cloudy days to be the most effective, on blue skys they are there but not as intense.

I have seen 3 opticians, 3 opthamoligists, 1 neuroglist, had my bloods taken for diabeties and other supect illnesses but knowone can find what is wrong, they all say im fine!!!

The most worrying thing is is that these people dont know what Im talking about and act as though im making it up.

I'm looking for way to either completly clear them or reduce them.

Heres what I have found, when the sky is blue and there appears to be less of them, if I smoke, there presence in reduced for only a short time, maybe minutes.

This tells me that it may be linked to blood flow,

I really need you people who seem to have the same problem to keep in touch

I can tell you more about this if you require it

I wonder if I see them now because my eyes can focus on objects within the eye, rather than objects outside the eye, I got floaters within the eye at a young age, a growing age. Due to me focusing on them, I may have triggered a growth development within the eye to focus on inner objects and maybe this allows me to see these lights????

I know I sound mad but I need an explaination

Thanks

Anthony

We can't advise of course, but it's interesting that a blue background field is involved. Makes one think of white blood cells, in the blood vessels in front of the retina. The socalled "Blue field entoptic phenomenon"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_field_entoptic_phenomenon

Also called Scheerer's phenomenon. Check it out. It is kind of interesting

You don't have EYE FLASHES, that is a very common experience after age 55 and usually harmless. Here are the first two google hits on "eye flashes"

http://www.visitech.org/flashes-and-floaters.html

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/aha/aha_flashflo_oph.htm

Both my wife and I have experienced eye flashes----little bright specks that swerve around and since it wasn't accompanied by other symptoms we just waited, and later we had a regular eye exam and no problemo.

But it could have been associated with torn retina or something, according to the websites.

From a science standpoint I guess all this stuff relates to an accident of evolution: the lens-and-retina eye evolved twice, it evolved in vertebrates like fish and us, and it also evolved in squid and people like that (invertebrates)

Curiously the squid got it right! They put the supportive blood vessels and nerve fibers and stuff behind the retinal cells where it doesn't get in the way.

We vertebrates got it backwards and we evolved by accident to put the blood vessels and nerve cables etc etc in front of the retinal cells. Which sucks because it gets in the way. The brain actually has to filter out the shadows of red blood cells and all that.

Anyway Scheerer's phenomenon has to do with the shadows of white blood cells moving thru the tiny blood vessels in a layer in front of the retina.

I'm not saying you are experiencing that:D because I totally don't know. But it is interesting you said blue sky helps to see it.

Thanks for your input INow, and your respect towards my views (pardon the pun). It truly must be caused by the way that my particular brain is perceiving it...because some people have given me a crooked look when it comes to trying to explain to them what I see. In fact until now, I've only met one person in my life who could relate to what I was explaining. As you could imagine, it gave me a great deal of comfort to have resources to inform me that there are those out there who have seen what I have. Anyway happy holidays everyone-and happy New Year.

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen the worms move around but never the flashes of light. I always thought of them as a white very microscopic explosion of like a light receptor or something; I don't know what they are though! Hey have you ever seen the purple swirly? It's like seeing the refresh rate of monitors from the early 90's but swirly and purple. If you meditate and watch this stuff long enough you can intentionally or not so intentionally cause yourself to hallucinate. You may suddenly see something very far away as though it where right in front of you. I once stared for so long while I wasn't wearing my glasses and I suddenly saw two dots of focused space in my vision. When they united I swear I saw through a drywall wall. It was like I was looking at all the minute traces of light that where able to tunnel through the material and have my brain recreate the picture from the limited information. I have way to much time on my hands!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

i've noticed these little light specs as well, i first saw them when i was about six, i was sitting in the school bathroom staring at the ground and i noticed them darting vertically and horizontally, however now, they dart around in random directions like a swarm of bugs, i know its not floaters and i dont think its that blue syndrome watever its called because they dont have any sort of "track" they dart around every which way, however, after i took hallucinogens i have come up with somewhat of a hypothesis, before, and i think some of you have referred to this, ive noticed an almost in detectable "static" layer over everything i see, it seems to be inside my eyes, when i took lsd, i noticed that as it very gradually came on, this static slowly sharpened and focused into fractal patterns and colors, my theory is that this layer is the bridge between your nerve cells in your eyes and your brain, i think it's your brain processing what you're seeing, i think that little ringing in your ears that never goes away is the same thing, but for hearing

i've noticed these little light specs as well, i first saw them when i was about six, i was sitting in the school bathroom staring at the ground and i noticed them darting vertically and horizontally, however now, they dart around in random directions like a swarm of bugs, i know its not floaters and i dont think its that blue syndrome watever its called because they dont have any sort of "track" they dart around every which way, however, after i took hallucinogens i have come up with somewhat of a hypothesis, before, and i think some of you have referred to this, ive noticed an almost in detectable "static" layer over everything i see, it seems to be inside my eyes, when i took lsd, i noticed that as it very gradually came on, this static slowly sharpened and focused into fractal patterns and colors, my theory is that this layer is the bridge between your nerve cells in your eyes and your brain, i think it's your brain processing what you're seeing, i think that little ringing in your ears that never goes away is the same thing, but for hearing

REPLY: I`ve had simular thoughts at least about that constant noise that seems to come from the ears. It`s been my thought that it is yet another way repressed feelings,emotions interfere in brain function. All that repressed nervous energy has to go somewhere and spills over into the neural circuitry somewhere and expresses itself as strange noises appearing to come from the ears and so very many other things like nervous ticks, headaches,hyperactivity,restless leg syndrome,obssesive compulsive behaviour,phobias,counterphobias,compulsive eating, smoking cigarrettes taking drugs, drinking alcohol, obsessive talkers, obssesive bloggers, and on and on and on. It never lets up and our efforts to keep unwanted feelings blocked and locked inside us can`t let up either. Unless we allow ourselves to feel these unwanted feelings in their full intensity in a connected and curing way. Not yet another one of those ways to COPE with IT. The way out of this mess if you find youself in it is called Primal Therapy. To read all about it go to : http:http://www.primaltherapy.com . There is all sorts of free information about all this available there. Articles, videos, Dr. Janov`s blog where you can ask him questions. All free. For all but the asking Janov questions you do not sign up or join anything.Also, there is no fee for joining in on his blog and asking him questions. No questions are asked of you what so ever for all the free stuff provided there. ...Dr.Syntax

Edited by dr.syntax

<cough>Primal Therapy is NOT the answer to everything. Stop pretending it is.</cough>

REPLY: YOU GOT THAT. YOU DON`T TELL ME ANYTHING. I never said primal therapy was the answer to everything. I don`t pretend it is. What you think means nothing to me . I tried to get along with you , I`m through bothering with that . You ignore the rules constantly and seek out my postings for your nasty replies. you are one sick little man. ...Dr.Syntax

REPLY: YOU GOT THAT. YOU DON`T TELL ME ANYTHING. I never said primal therapy was the answer to everything. I don`t pretend it is. What you think means nothing to me . I tried to get along with you , I`m through bothering with that . You ignore the rules constantly and seek out my postings for your nasty replies. you are one sick little man. ...Dr.Syntax

Well... That was helpful. I trust your suggestion now that you've supported it so well. :rolleyes:

Okay. Maybe I wasn't clear enough the first time. Let me be more specific, then.

The way out of this mess if you find youself in it is called Primal Therapy.

If it's worked for you, then super, but it won't work for everyone and it won't work for every problem. You bring this up in threads where it is completely unrelated. You are essentially spamming (you've now mentioned it in more than 14 posts), and that is what I was responding to.

As an aside, I would presume that if the therapy were as effective as you claim then you would be a much calmer person more capable of dealing with people in social situations.

It doesn't matter, though. You're proposing this idea of "primal therapy" for people having darted specks of light in their vision. Not only do you not know the root cause of their issue, but you are spamming an idea which will likely have zero impact on it (hint: it's physiological, not psychological).

Well... That was helpful. I trust your suggestion now that you've supported it so well. :rolleyes:

Okay. Maybe I wasn't clear enough the first time. Let me be more specific, then.

If it's worked for you, then super, but it won't work for everyone and it won't work for every problem. You bring this up in threads where it is completely unrelated. You are essentially spamming (you've now mentioned it in more than 14 posts), and that is what I was responding to.

As an aside, I would presume that if the therapy were as effective as you claim then you would be a much calmer person more capable of dealing with people in social situations.

It doesn't matter, though. You're proposing this idea of "primal therapy" for people having darted specks of light in their vision. Not only do you not know the root cause of their issue, but you are spamming an idea which will likely have zero impact on it (hint: it's physiological, not psychological).

REPLY: I have never said that Primal works for everyone or every problem, never said it. You insist on saying I have or insinuate the same. What I have said or implied is that it can work for most problems stemming from the suppression,repression of unresolved,disconnected,unconscious feelings. These are the types of feelings most of us end up repressing a large amount of by the time we are 7 and often much earlier. And the pain doesn`t stop piling up then. By 7 or earlier most develope complex arrangements in our brains and bodies for suppressing and storing unresolved feelings. So as we go through life we just keep adding more to what Janov calls the "Primal Pool". These suppressed, unconnected memories don`t lie there harmlessly. They exert such biologic responses as the release of adrenaline and cortisol. These hormones help us mobilize the body for fight or flight. But, they have a big downside when they continue to be pumped into our bodies constantly. For instance sores will not heal when these stress hormones are in your bloodstream significantly. I think it was NOVA that showed an experiment that clearly illustrated this phenomenon recently with Alan Alda. Wich brings me to my next point. There is no seperating the physiological from the psychological. Anything that influences the psychological influences the physiological. There is no seperating the two. When you and I get angry stress hormones are pumped into our bodies raising our blood pressure and heart rates. Pain and fear pump stress hormones in simular ways. It is well known that pleasure has its own hormones and such related to pleasant events. These feelings are real things that have a reality based on the chemical entities I just discussed in a general simplfied overview. So, there is no seperating the psycologic from the physiologic. Much of Janov`s scientific evidence is based on this biological fact of life. The measure of a patients blood pressure, heartrate and ? before during and after a primal. They also keep a record of patients vital statistics as they progress through therapy. That web address I gave has Janov there giving a short concise assessment of just what Primal Therapy is all about. Check it out . No one can explain what Primal Therapy is better than Dr. Janov. at http://www.primaltherapy.com . You will not be bored and you can read the brief overview or ask questions of Dr.Janov himself. Suppressed pain is in my opinion the reason for seeing those dots and hearing those sounds and is therefore absolutely relevent to the question asked. How is it any less relevent than what other people think causes it ? I back it up with some sound reasoning that makes sense. ...Dr.Syntax

Edited by dr.syntax

What I have said or implied is that it can work for most problems stemming from the suppression,repression of unresolved,disconnected,unconscious feelings.

And that has zero to do with the topic of this thread, dr.syntax.

And that has zero to do with the topic of this thread, dr.syntax.

REPLY: Your insistance on arguing with me hijacked this thread. What is wrong with you. You need a good Primal. You are obsessed with something about me. It`s an old feeling . What is it you want from me ? To say you are right and that I am wrong ? Something along those lines ? there is some big feeling arising in you and I trigger it. That`s as much as I can see. You have to allow these feelings to happen if you wish to be free of them. Do you want scream and yell at me. Tell me how much you`d enjoy beating me ,things like that. ....Dr.Syntax

Drop it. That's enough of that for this thread. You both agree this has nothing to do with the topic but you keep arguing about it anyway.

dr.syntax, "primal therapy" is not a widely accepted treatment system in psychiatry and there is little peer-reviewed evidence to show it works properly. As per our forum rules, you shouldn't be bringing your own favorite theories (like primal therapy) into the discussion as though they're accepted facts that can answer the questions. If you'd like to discuss primal therapy in its own thread, feel free, but please don't treat it like an accepted fact.

(You might say "but it works!", and it might, but does it work to treat specks of light in vision? There are much better ways of explaining what causes spots in your vision and a good doctor can determine what's going on. The only room for mental therapy in this thread is if the person is hallucinating.)

I get these as well, they appear almost siveresque, I usually get them after sitting up quickly while i have been sitting down for extended periods of time. Alas this is only for a breif flight of time as my vision starts to go black (: I see that there is most like likely no "remedy" for such things. I am sorry if this has caused you discomfort in any way.

Don't worry, you're not going crazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_field_entoptic_phenomenon

What's odd is I experience this fairly frequently (once or twice a month), but always in my shower, which has yellow tiles, not blue.

The explanation that this comes from blood flowing through the retina makes perfect sense though.

• 2 months later...

Hi

I must say its been of great relief to read others that may have a similar problem to mine.....

I not only have a few floaters, but i have when looking at the sky millions of little bright specks that dart around, they truly do look like im looking at living bacteria moving around in my eyes....

I mentioned this to my eye specialist and he laughed and said to me that you cant see bacteria, i reduced down to the size of tom thumb and crept away under the door feeling very stupid..... lol

Ive kinda diagnosed my own eye problems down to excessive smoking and have now quit......

Im hoping i will see some improvement

regards

Nigel

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Yes i see them as well , sometimes when i cough they are more vivid , must have something to do with tiny blood vessels at the back of your eyes. I also see them when i look at a white computer screen.

Hi there - yes I get them. Anyone want to discuss along the lines of perhaps things from another dimension. Sorry but all the medical theories could be a cover up!!

dont flatter yourself im sure other dimensions could come up with more than squiggly lines.