Darting specks of light in my vision - know what they are?

I've looked on sites the internet, but haven't been able to find out about these little darting specks of light that I see when I look up towards the sky. They don't appear to be in the sky, but are more like somehow produced in the actual eye, as I believe they move with the movement of my eyes. They're not "floaters", as they look very different to them (much brighter, for starters). I've never noticed them when I've been indoors, so I think that bright natural light is a factor. So, kind friends, can I ask a few questions of anyone willing to answer any of them, and maybe help me out? :

-Firstly, and most crucially, does anyone know what they are?

-Do you see them?

-Does everyone see them?

-Can anyone provide a good link about them?

Thanks in advance for any help.:)

Do they only happen when you are outdoors? Does it matter whether it is sunny, cloudy, day or night? When you close your eyes do you still "see" them?

I've seen them sometimes, but usually after I have looked at a bright light, such as a camera flash, thats why I wondered if it happens after you have looked up into a bright, sunny, sky.

You can also "see stars", after a bump on the head.

Yes, I get them, as coquina says usually in bright light outside.

I get 2 types;1; dark patches moving towards a centeral spot (in summer outside)- often.

2; Something which i liken to tiny worms burrowing in and out of your vision, as there are tiny squiggles that make what looks like black hole- this is less comman and happens at any time. It is more scary when it does happen, because if its a severe case, my eyesight can be hampered.

Coquina - Yep, I'm fairly sure they only happen when I'm outdoors. I've only seem them in the daytime, and I think I can see them when it's cloudy, but I usually notice them more when it's sunny. I can't see them anymore when I close my eyes

One thing I forgot to mention is that I have to let my eyes go out of focus to see them, and it's not just something that happens randomly, as I can actually see them at will, by doing this.

I know what you mean about the flashing lights after bumping your head, but I wouldn't say it's like that much, or at all.

Ed84c - what I get doesn't seem much like the dark patches in your first example, but your second example sounds a bit more like what I get, from the way you described them as squiggles, though my ones don't seem to make a black hole, or disturb my vision afterwards.

Swansont - thanks very much for the link. I thought I was onto something when I saw the name of it was "flashes and floaters", but after reading it, I'm pretty sure that what I see are not light flashes as described on that page. They don't seem like the description given there, and also, the flashes they are describing seem to all be related to things going wrong with the eye, whereas I have been seeing these things for as long as I remember and have never had anything medically wrong with my eyes (short-sightedness aside).

Bettina - I'm not actually concerned that I might have anything wrong with my eyes, more curious as to what these things are, really. But I'll certainly take you're advice and ask about them next time I have an eye check. Why I haven't thought of that before is beyond me! :D

Thanks very much for your replies so far everyone. :)

• 2 months later...
Guest markc

First of all, I blieve this condition can NOT be rectified thru (any) "therapy;" strictly speaking.

What I understand is ...these "specks of light" are some benign form of protein "left over" in the eyeball, or retina, following being born. Obvisiously they (...the lights) are unusual to the human conscious, but NOT uncommon. Further ocular research, which is surely available, would ease your concern. Best regards, always. :)

what is it when you cough or sneeze badly and these little bright lights appear and move around?

I assume it`s some sort of sudden rise in blood pressure, but what are the actual bright things?

During a moon mission, a few astronauts (maybe one was Buzz Aldron?) experienced little flashes of light, which turned out to be cosmic rays hitting the retina. If I find a link, I will post it, but I don't know if flashes of light from cosmic rays can happen here on Earth.

YT: I guess if it happens right after you sneeze, then the flashes of light must be some things coming from you mouth, like particles of phlegm or something, it would get in your eye sort of like how people squirt milk out of their eyes.

I've looked on sites the internet' date=' but haven't been able to find out about these little darting specks of light that I see when I look up towards the sky. They don't appear to be in the sky, but are more like somehow produced in the actual eye, as I believe they move with the movement of my eyes. They're not "floaters", as they look very different to them (much brighter, for starters). I've never noticed them when I've been indoors, so I think that bright natural light is a factor. So, kind friends, can I ask a few questions of anyone willing to answer any of them, and maybe help me out? :

-Firstly, and most crucially, does anyone know what they are?

-Do you see them?

-Does everyone see them?

-Can anyone provide a good link about them?

Thanks in advance for any help.:)[/quote']

I am pretty sure I see the same things your talking about. I've looked at some of the 'visual snow' simulations and it is nothing like that at all. I don't even notice them unless I am staring at a blue sky with unfocused eyes. I remember first noticing them when I was a teenager (or maybe even younger). I don't think they are DEAD blood cells, as they are a bit too active. cosmic rays?... I doubt it but who knows?

The best words to describe them that come into my head are 'virtual particles'. I don't know if that's really what they are, but that's how they seem to act... little specks that pop into existence travel a very short distance and then pop out of existence.

I estimate at least a hundred of these things per second in my vision all going in random directions... it's really quite interesting watching them, and I really wish I knew what they were too.

I find it quite difficult to tell if their movement is affected when I look around because they come and go so fast.

Please let me know, GaryLeo, if this description is similar to what you see.

• 2 months later...

Sorry it's took me so long to reply to the latest here guys, but I haven't been on the board for a while (and didn't really expect any more, to be honest!). Anyway, thanks again to everyone for all the latest input. I had a look at that Visual Snow board, but from what I can decipher from the posts I've looked at, I don't think what I see comes under that, though I couldn't actually find anything there with an overview of what the symptoms of that condition are, so I can't rule it out. Maybe I'll do a post to see if others there experience what I do. So thanks for that Molotov.

Losfomot - I'm quite excited as your description sounds almost exactly the same as what I see! That's the time when I notice them most too - looking up at a blue sky with unfocused eyes (though I tried under a grey cloudy sky the other day, and that worked too, though it took a little longer to see them, and they weren't as clear). I like your description of them as like virtual particles - I once spoke to a man who said that he could see light particles; I don't know whether that's even possible, but I did wonder if he was maybe seeing the same things I do. I can't say for sure if my ones pop out of existence after a short while like you described, but as I'm sure as you'll appreciate, it's pretty hard to keep looking at individual ones, due to their small size and speed (though I will try to find out next time I see them). Like you, I see at least a hundred of them in my field of view at any one time (and probably many more actually).

One interesting thing I've just thought of that I haven't said as yet is that they appear to equally spaced out - I never see any big gaps appear between them, or any noticeable masses of them, or indeed collisions. I don't exactly know what age I first noticed them at, but it was certainly before adulthood.

Anyway, maybe we should pm or e-mail to talk more about them? I'm really pleased someone knows what the hell I'm on about! :D

Thanks for the latest, guys. :)

I think I may have what you are talking about. I have these "floaters" and when I am bored in class, I like to watch them. But, these flashes that I have aren't really flashes. Mine are literally billions of specks of light. I can stare at any color of wall or anything and see these. If I shake my head to get my hair out of my eyes, they specks become more vibrant. If I close my eyes, I can see the specks as clear as day. I can even make "pictures" with them. It's kind of hard to explain. If you have this too, maybe you can elaborate more on it.

EDIT: Also, if I stare at something for an extended period of time, I start to lose my vision. It starts to go black from the corners in. If anyone can explain these, I would love to hear why this happens. An extended period of time is about 1-2 minutes, usually sooner though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, Did anybody get the bottom of the random little darting specks of light that I also see on a fine day outside whenever I unfocus my eyes at will. I'm just interested to know what they are and thats all! I have emailed GaryLeo and Losfomot and have had no reply. Its very interesting. I have yearly eye examinations/photographs and they are fine. This whole floater flasher thing is something entirely different and My blood pressure is fine!. Any sensible reply appreciated.

Clayyts

Radiohead - firstly, cool name (I'm a fan too). Secondly, yep, your experience sounds pretty much like the same thing I, Losfomot, and Clayton seem to get (plus someone else who pm'd me), making 5 of us on the board so far. Like you, I wouldn't explain my ones as flashes either, but rather specks of light. I'm so pleased other people seem to know what I mean, and I'm also pleased that we all seem to be pretty fascinated with them, and share a desire to find out what they are. Some of the things you've experienced, like seeing them when you close your eyes, and making pictures out of them, I haven't noticed as yet, but I haven't tried, so I'll think I'll do some experiments to find out, and let you know.

Clayton, thanks for the pm. I think I probably have my e-mail facility here shut off. Anyway, sounds like you're "one of us" too, my friend! :D I'm afraid no one (as far as I know) has found out what they are yet, which only deepens the mystery, I guess. Check your pm box.

Maybe any of us who want to can start looking more thoroughly on the internet for some info - eye/vision/optical sites and maybe other scientific sites might be good for starters. If any of us come up with anything, do post links and/or info to let us all know. Probably speak to you soon guys. :)

EDIT: A pm I've recieved has some very interesting info on it - the person who pm'd me says they read a posting by an eye doctor on a site that explains the light specks as blood moving through the vessels in the eyes. I've asked her for a link, which I will of course put up if it's forthcoming. Could this be our answer?

Hello, Thanks for the post GaryLeo. What you started describing at the beginning of this discussion is very similar to what I get, however there are a lot of differences in some later descriptions such as colour, patterns and so on. I simply see bright pinpricks of light, very small and very erratic, dissapearing and appearing. I can focus (to a degree) on individual specks and follow them, but not for long. Even though I have to keap unfocused I still have a sense of distance and can concentrate on specks closer to or further from me.

I think the whole blood vessal idea is a little dodgy Hmmm.

I would like to know if the above is the EXACT same as what you see. If there are any differences, please post and describe!

Cheers again

Clayton

Here's the links guys! Courtesy of the board member who pm'd me, Di:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:QQe_zVzhGsEJ:www.hhmi.org/cgi-bin/askascientist/highlight.pl%3Fkw%3D%26file%3Danswers%252Fstructure%252Fans_014.html+blue+sky+bright+spots&hl=en

http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?p=seeing+white+blood+cells+moving&ei=UTF-8&fl=0&u=www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA6022Print&w=seeing+white+blood+cells+moving&d=7067A09968&icp=1&.intl=us

http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?p=see+white+blood+vessels+moving&ei=UTF-8&fl=0&u=www.amasci.com/freenrg/tors/floaters.html&w=see+white+blood+vessels+moving&d=F54EA8A76B&icp=1&.intl=us

See what you all think. It sounds pretty much like what I see, and the explanation of it seems to make sense to me. I'm about 70:30 on or more on this being the explanation for it. Di's 100% convinced herself.

Clayton, your description sounds the same as mine apart from one or maybe two things - I'm not sure if they appear and dissapear (rather they just seem to move around), and I don't believe they appear at different distances like your's - my ones all seem to be at or around the same distance (I think, but I haven't done it for a few weeks, so this is going from memory). I will look at them again soon, and let you know on these points.

Okay peeps here are what I see and here is the link that really explains it short and sweet! This is a diff link then I gave Gary. Took me awhile to find this one.

http://72.14.207.104/searchq=cache:cBINabth6WkJ:www.aboutchildrenshealth.com/library/weekly/aa011501a.htm+kids+seeing+blood+cells+paper&hl=en

I noticed these bright bits darting around easily when looking at blue sky or gray fog. I can see them if I unfocus my eyes slightly on white walls, paper and sometimes one or two will dart when I focus on my pc monitor.

They appear to me as specks that are bright and they dart all different directions! They do however appear to dart towards me. If my heartrate is up they zoom by faster. I find the more I try to see them the more I see them and it can get pretty annoying. :o)

When I do not focus on them my eyes learn they are not important to focus on and I don't see them unless I think about it and try to see them or if I am staring off in thought and my eyes slightly unfocus.

When people sneeze or cough hard it does shake up and throw the liquid and junk behind the eyes forward so that does cause people to see sparks or flashes right after a sneeze. That however, is something different. Floaters and flashes and seening stars are completly different as well and should be checked out by an opthamologist.

Hope this helps. You need to see this link as it is the least complex when this is explained. You can test your friends and have them unfocus their eyes on a white paper or a blue sky and look for them and they will see them too.

Di