Thread hijack - ' Where does energy for gravity come from?'

roger4464

Then work is done on or by some agent.

You have asked a very reasonable question that often puzzles folks and received a relatively short answer from swansont, as he has many calls on his time here.

I have tried to fill in some of the gaps but you don't seem to like responding to more than a small part of posts.

I do not wish to indulge in verbal fencing about this subject.

I gave you the answer in post#13.

The gravitational energy is inherent in the whole system by virtue of the masses and separations of the particles involved, according to the equations being bandied about. It manifests itself as the (gravitational) potential energy of the system.

If either the separation or mass or both change then work is done, perhaps on one or more of the masses or perhaps on an outside body.

The work done exactly equals the change in gravitational potential energy.

In other words that is the available energy from the change.

In order for the system to have arrived at its present state energy must have been input in the past in the form of work by some agent. We do not necessarily know the details of this, only the quantities.

So that is where the energy came from.

We observe the effects as 'the force of gravity' in Newtonian mechanics, or alternatively the acceleration due to gravity, but as swansont has already noted, we do not know how this force is generated. That is one of the big question curently being attempted by modern physics.

The will of motion is the result of a body in disequilibrium, acted on ...perhaps..( the gravitational field ) or other physical means..............................................Roger Dynamic Motion , on Google

The force of Gravity does not exist without a body.+ the body must be free to move to react. or to be ''recorded''( with a spring)

Edited by roger4464

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.