Quick Forum Questions

Guest Ritchy

• 4 months later...

If you mean the one in parenthesis after your username, that is a default based on how many posts you've made and how long you've been here, etc. You can't change it, unless you ask a mod for the privilege to do so. If you want to put your real name, you can put it under your description. Click the "My Account" at the top, and select "edit your details"

Is it possible for me to change my name?(not my username)

I mean the name that is shown in forum, but not the one i log in with; is it possible?

If I understand you correctly, that is indeed not possible in vBulletin. However, we should be transitioning soon to IPB, which does allow this.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

How do you delete your account on here?

Deleting accounts would mess things up for everyone in discussions you've participated in, so is only done with spammers. You can erase your profile information and request to be banned, but that's about as close as you can get to having your account deleted.

In that regard I have a request. Will you permit me to put this paper on the Science Forums website? My sole desire is to solicit comments. (It's okay, I am thick skinned.) If you wish to see the paper before hand, I can e-mail it to you. If you so decide then, how would I go about doing it and in which section of the Forum?

From the sounds of it your idea is more well-developed than most of the crackpottery we usually get, and you seem to be more polite. You can post it in the Speculations forum. Please keep in mind that this is a discussion forum, so if you don't intend to participate in discussion then that would be considered soapboxing. Please read the Rules. Especially relevant for this are 4, 8, and 10 in Section 2.

We also have a thread titled So, you've got a new theory.. which you might want to read.

• 1 month later...

A detail in one of my posts really bothers me, but it is too late for me to edit it. Can I petition to a moderator or something to get them to edit it for me?

Of course, as long as it doesn't mess with any of the replies made to the post just send a mod or admin a private message with your request. If someone with "staff" under their avatar has participated in the thread it might be slightly easier to ask them as they are more likely to be familiar with the thread but any of us will be happy to help.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, I am new in all this Forum life and I would appreciate if you guys can help me. I want to post a comment in one of the forums and it keep giving me a error message, saying I am not allowed to reply. I already add the person who posted the blog and still nothing. It is a religion Forum.

Thanks.

Hello everyone, I am new in all this Forum life and I would appreciate if you guys can help me. I want to post a comment in one of the forums and it keep giving me a error message, saying I am not allowed to reply. I already add the person who posted the blog and still nothing. It is a religion Forum.

Thanks.

As explained in the religion forum rules, users must have 30 posts before they can post in the Religion forum. We've had problems in the past with bad behavior there (it's a controversial topic, after all), so we had to limit participation.

• 1 year later...

I'm wondering how exactly mods respond to rule violations as it pertains to how long a "strike" remains on a person's name.

!

Moderator Note

Also, if anyone breaks the rules, step 1 is a warning (not a ban). If multiple violations occur, a suspension can be the next step. A ban is the very last resort, and it's not used frequently. Certainly not for a single violation.

so if the violations are separated by day,weeks,months what then?

We keep records, so we will always remember. But we do not suspend people unless they are persistently violating the same rules despite admonishment. So, for example, someone who violates the rules once and then transgresses again six months later isn't in line for a suspension.

• 3 months later...

Can someone tell me where my emoticons are? When I post I can see an option to 'Enable emoticons', but I don't see then anywhere.

On the top row of the post editor window is an area to change font and size, etc. To the right of that is a smiley face. Click it and the options appear at the bottom of the editor window. ph34r.gif

Edited by iNow

On the top row of the post editor window is an area to change font and size, etc. To the right of that is a smiley face. Click it and the options appear at the bottom of the editor window. ph34r.gif

Ok, thanks. I seem to have a bigger problem though as I no longer have that top row of the post editor window.

Even when you click the little toggle/light switch thingy on the very top left? wacko.png blink.png confused.gif blink.png wacko.png

Heh heh. Keeps getting better.

I don't have a little toggle thingy. I just created a .jpg out of a print screen that I was going to attach for you to see. But while I can do a browse to find the .jpg, I no longer have an option to attach it or insert it into this post.

I seem to be driving the tricycle version of the editor while you are all on Harley's.