Quick Forum Questions

Guest Ritchy

Anyone else finding that the "remember me" checkbox no longer works? It used to work fine, but for the last couple of months I have to log in each time I come back to the site (if I have closed my browser).

I am pretty sure it isn't me - I have cookies enabled with no exceptions and Firefox is allowed to remember password. Also it happens on my work and home computers.

No problems on a Mac using Safari.

• 1 month later...

No. You can change your time zone and which day starts your week, but not the format. This is most likely a VB code thing, and nothing particular to this site (in other words, the infrastructure on which this forum is built may not even offer that as an option). Date/Time settings which are available are here:

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions

EDIT: Of course, it figures Cap'n could do it... He's the man. :)

Edited by iNow

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
You can add or remove reputation from people by the value shown as your "rep power" under each of your posts. We're hoping that by opening it up for negative reputation we might encourage people to make better posts.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Negative reputation is problematic. It breeds contempt, bad blood, and is really nothing more than a punch in the face. One of the things I've always liked about SFN is that we keep things positive by not having neg rep. If you like a post, say thanks. If you disagree with a post, then refute it openly. This back door bitch slap of neg rep is just something that makes our community less cordial and for little (if any) benefit.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Negative reputation is problematic. It breeds contempt, bad blood, and is really nothing more than a punch in the face. One of the things I've always liked about SFN is that we keep things positive by not having neg rep. If you like a post, say thanks. If you disagree with a post, then refute it openly. This back door bitch slap of neg rep is just something that makes our community less cordial and for little (if any) benefit.

What killed our efforts the last time we tried it is that vBulletin by default gives people tremendous amounts of reputation power very quickly. Suddenly one person could hand out 50 reputation points in one shot, where others could only hand out one or two. People were going into the red with one negative rep.

We've changed the settings so this can't happen, and made sure that reputation is anonymous. But if there's evidence of it being abused, I hope you'll inform us so we can determine the best solution.

Personally, I wish we could give/take varying amounts of reputation. A quick helpful note and an epic, well-thought out, perspective-changing essay both deserve reputation, but I'd like to be able to give more to the latter.

Personally, I wish we could give/take varying amounts of reputation. A quick helpful note and an epic, well-thought out, perspective-changing essay both deserve reputation, but I'd like to be able to give more to the latter.

I really like that idea, and think that it would be very useful.

Although, it doesn't matter that much with me.

If i put out several posts in different threads, can I recieve some notification that there has been a reply in one of those threads? Checking every thread individually is time consuming.

Also, I've noticed that when I view someone elses personal page, it shows the names of the most recent visitors. When I check my own page, it tells me the number of visitors, and a white box with a red x in the upper right of that cell. No names are listed.

What's the deal with the notice which has been at the top of the screen for the past several weeks when viewing as a Guest?

Notices

Sorry about the temporary disruption. Everyone should be able to log in as normal. If you registered in the past day or so, you will unfortunately have to use the "I forgot my password" feature to reset your password. If you've changed your password since last night, use the older password, since I had to restore from backups. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I'm a moron. - Cap'n Refsmmat