Quick Forum Questions

Guest Ritchy

• 1 month later...

I just logged-in and downloaded a PDF... Adobe Reader then hung, so I closed the browser window. After ending the Adobe process that had left toolbars on the desktop, I returned to the site and began to get script errors relating to urchinTracker... clearing the cache cured this, but I wondered what it was???

Ah, thanks...

I just tried to enter the site using the hyperlink in the notification email and got more scripting errors - nothing to do with the component then, it just happened to be the first bit of script to reference something not loaded.

Looks like IE has problems...

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

If you think the answer is important, then I have a very simple experiment in mind you could perform:

1) Write down your current postcount A

2) Post in a thread in the politics section

3) Write down your current postcount B

4) Calculate C=B-A

5) Hit "report post" on your own post and ask a mod to remove it (not necessary in case your post was actually sensible).

6) The anwer is [math]\left\{ \begin{array}{rcl} \text{no}&:& C=0 \\ \text{yes}&:&C=1 \\ \text{you idiot}&:& \text{otherwise} \end{array} \right.[/math]

• 1 year later...
Is there an 'entry requirement' for the politics forum? Can't post in there for some reason, and a quick search didn't turn up anything about it..

You need a certain number of posts, and once you've made that many posts the system will automatically add you to a new user group. Once you've been added to that user group you can post in the Politics section. I think it's either 30 or 50 posts. One way or the other, you're very close, so just be patient or submit a few more posts and try again.

FYI - It's setup this way for good reason. We don't want people who don't understand this community, who haven't proven themselves or shown that they are here for the science more than the politics... so they don't just come here and drive by post or flame bait.

While politics is a passionate subject and conversations can get heated, we all tend to respect each other and the tone in the SFN Politics board is much more intellectual and calm than at many other boards. This is helped by not allowing noobs in until they have been around for while. :)

EDIT: Snail beat me to it.

Cheers for the swift replies.

I understand the reason for the min post count - just surprised me when I tried to reply and found I couldn't. Thought I'd been logged out at first.

Kaeroll

I see you're now at 30 posts. Have you tried again to post in Politics?

• 3 weeks later...
Is there a way to write tables on this forum?

I'm pretty sure the answer's yes, Mr. S.

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Ta

This function will attempt to implement a table. Primarily designed to allow text on the left or right of images instead of only above and below them.

Usage

Example Usage

Th

Table data tag.

Usage
value

However, it may not be exactly what you're after. If it won't work, you could always save as an Excel file and then make that file an attachment in your post.

Well, you might use

tags then.  Such as:

[code]TABLE
ColA   ColB   ColC   ColD
V1      V2      V3     V4
V5      V6      V7     V8
V9      V10    V11    V12

Or, use periods to space the values consistently and change their font color to white, like this:

ColA...ColB...ColC...ColD

V1......V2......V3.....V4

V5......V6......V7.....V8

V9......V10....V11....V12

It's not the easiest thing in the world on VB, but it does it.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else finding that the "remember me" checkbox no longer works? It used to work fine, but for the last couple of months I have to log in each time I come back to the site (if I have closed my browser).

I am pretty sure it isn't me - I have cookies enabled with no exceptions and Firefox is allowed to remember password. Also it happens on my work and home computers.